Thread: bashing damage

RC Racer

bashing damage

Well I took my son and summit out today to bash around the soccer field behind a local school. the temps have increased and most of the snow has melted leaving some nice muddy and watery pools.

after about 10 min the summit stopped.. i wasnt sure what was happening. I tried gunning it but the motor just started to smoke.. I thought that i fried the titan. carried it home. and took off the motor and gear cover..
    I put in a 15t pinion the other day and i think it was binding with the spur gear casue it would just jam up. i set the gear mesh properly (i believe) so im not sure what was happening.. maybe something in the transmission is binding up?.. i put the stock 14t pinion back in and it seemed fine so i went back outside. and bashed some more.. got into some thick mud which was fun and then about 20 min later after hitting a few snow jumps and flipping the summit over and over . once of the battery packs came loose and one of the battery cables ripped off the cell. so I guess i have to learn to use the soldering gun i just got

the summit has taken some really hard hits and nothing has broken. if i checked to make sure the battery was properly enclosed it prob would be fine
    SnowTiger Summit, Dewalt 14.4 Nimh
    Burlington, ON

RC Champion
    I would reconmend getting a new titian or dewalt motor because once it starts smoking it wont be very long til it dies mine started smoking and about 4 runs later it finaly had enough i was surprised how long it lasted i had order a dewalt motor befor it quit so i beat the snot out of the titian since i didnt need it any more and it made 3 40min lipo runs with out the internal cooling fan before it quit LOL thats one tuff motor haha
    if your not breaking anything get more air

RC Qualifier
    I think this muddy/water bashing is what's killing the titan 775s, could be the mud getting in the motor and when it sits the water runs out but the sand/rocks stay so then when you take it out to drive again the sand grinds the snot out of the motor and kill's it.... just a theory
    anything can be fixed with duct tape and zip ties

RC Racer
    hmm i cant seem to solder the metal tab back onto the nimh battery cell
    solder doesnt seem to stick.. any time on how to get the lead onto the cell
    Burlington, ON

RC Qualifier
    You need to ruff up the surface so the solder can grab. just take some 400 or 320 sand paper and scratch it up alittle. or something edgy like a jewel screwdriver or tip of hobby knife. just make some scratches , then solder it will stick. also what helps is a touch of solder paste (electronic type) . btw make sure there is no oil .

RC JOe I think is on to something. I had my Titan smoke, and it was not in mud , but volcanic ash (really nasty stuff) . anyway no water. but i think the fine dirt gets in there, and starts to do destruction. I guess i stipped fast enough.

what i did was take motor out and toke off the mount. then just blasted it with water both ways to flush it out really really good. then used almost a half can of that motor cleaner . then wd 40. then again with motor cleaner (almost got frost bite from the motor cleaner. then oiled the bearings (bushing actually) , went to run it. it was ok, but lots of sparks in brushes. so then put COM drop il. sparks gone. have not looked back. so far 8 runs . but if i dies , i don't care because the Dewalt is ready to go in.
    anyway look for sparks too. if you have , that will kill the motor fast. prop up truck , and blast it. and watch the motor in a darker area.

BTW , if you ever do drive your summit by a volcano LOL , make sure you plan on taking the truck completely apart , the grit gets every were. it gets in those suspension pins, impacts the wheel bearings . totaly into the drive shaft yokes. anyway takes hours , cleaning the crap out of it .

if image does not show link
    Last edited by VonGearStripper; 12-31-2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: add image

^^^^That my friend is a cool picture looks right at home^^^^^
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    ok well i have some rosin core solder. i scratched up the surface. tried some flux paste to clean it. but the solder still doesnt grab well is there a specific type of rosin core solder that works better?.. not sure the mixture of tin/lead 67/33? ive tried so many times im worried ive ruined the cell from overheating
    Burlington, ON

RC Qualifier
    The best solder I have found is at Radio Shack. It works when others do not.

RC Qualifier
    plain old 60/40 should work . what is the wattage of your soldering iron ?

when i did my 7 to 6 cell conversion on the stock traxxas battery (3000mh) i scored the face of the batt. applied some
    pause.....
    Kester rosin paste flux SP-44 , heated a touch with a 60 watt iron , applied some solder ( a small puddle about 1/4 to 3/8" ), quickly pulled away, so battery would not get to hot. then prepared some chromed thin sheet metal i had lying around. tinned that. then soldered that to the solder puddle i had put on the battery .

the solder is just plain 60/40 LEAD type old fashion kill you in a life time type, not the new greenie non lead nerf type. :O
    I probably didn't need the extra flux paste , but it does help. I think its either solder type or the heat is not high enough on the iron. make sure you touch the iron with solder just before you apply to battery , this helps transferring heat right away . also dont sit there a long time. it should heat the area in 10 seconds or less , unless iron is to small to do the job.

this is the exact iron i use for battery and large battery connectors
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPR36&P=7

ibut a 40watt should do it as well. I know a 20 or 25 takes to long for me.

BTW 63/37 should be easier its a eutectic so lower temp needed.
    Last edited by VonGearStripper; 01-05-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VonGearStripper View Post
    plain old 60/40 should work . what is the wattage of your soldering iron ?

when i did my 7 to 6 cell conversion on the stock traxxas battery (3000mh) i scored the face of the batt. applied some
    pause.....
    Kester rosin paste flux SP-44 , heated a touch with a 60 watt iron , applied some solder ( a small puddle about 1/4 to 3/8" ), quickly pulled away, so battery would not get to hot. then prepared some chromed thin sheet metal i had lying around. tinned that. then soldered that to the solder puddle i had put on the battery .

the solder is just plain 60/40 LEAD type old fashion kill you in a life time type, not the new greenie non lead nerf type. :O
    I probably didn't need the extra flux paste , but it does help. I think its either solder type or the heat is not high enough on the iron. make sure you touch the iron with solder just before you apply to battery , this helps transferring heat right away . also dont sit there a long time. it should heat the area in 10 seconds or less , unless iron is to small to do the job.

this is the exact iron i use for battery and large battery connectors
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPR36&P=7

ibut a 40watt should do it as well. I know a 20 or 25 takes to long for me.
    ^^^^^+1^^^^^^
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    I have a weller 40w iron and it heats up quickly., the battery originally had a small tab of tin metal connecting the wire. it got ripped and i couldn't get it to re-stick to the cell.. so i removed it from the wire and tried to solder the wire directly to the cell... right now its on. but the connection seems to popoff easily.
    Burlington, ON

RC Qualifier
    Thats just odd . another way a little more aggressive. clean with acetone , then take a dremel with sand disc or sand drum, and lightly sand the face of the battery, no pressure just cut that off color surface a little, two direction to leave a nice shinny cross pattern , then clean again with some acetone or lacquer thinner (just wipe the face). then solder a pad or puddle of solder there, then solder on your wire . if that don't work , i don't know what to say.

always wear eye protection with power tools