RC Racer

Titan 12T 550 Break in/replacement motors

I know this topic has been discussed many times and is very opinionated but I'm fairly new to the hobby and have questions. After a ton of web browsing on the Titan 550's it seems they just do not last very long for some people,I've read alot about different break in techniques ,water methods,Coca Cola methods,removing the pinion,bench methods ect........I'm sure there are several hundred different ways to do it,which is the best I have no idea.Some have had good luck bashing straight out the box with no maint or a care in the world and have had good luck with motor life while others have used the factory break in method, cleaned the motor and oiled the bushings only to see them fail on only a few packs or live a long happy life,so I'd assume part is driving habits,terrain,gearing and heat?? Spoke with Traxxas Tech dept today on their opinion on break in and the guy stated to run the Stampede in a circle on a smooth large paved surface using 3/4 to full throttle "not in training mode" with no full throttle starts ect.. until the battery pack dies and that's it.I asked about bench break in method "which I like" and the tech guy stated the motor needed some load for proper break it in,I'd think thes less the load the better "less heat".He did comment the motors are only 25 bucks if it burns up,that comment kinda gave me the scoop.I'm sure they are very much informed about the Titan issues and yes $25 is pretty cheap but after buying several that adds up.I could not afford to go brushless considering I bought two new Stampedes and one Bandit for X-mas this year for some family fun and due to the weather all are still in the boxes.So if the Titans go out which they eventually will are there any brushed motors on the market I can buy to to replace the Titan without grinding and modifying that are a bit more dependable and will work with the stock electronics? I think I will use the bench method recommended in another thread for break in
    Last edited by TreasureHunter; 12-30-2010 at 03:45 PM.

RC Champion
    ive tried a few ways, my newest is a "slave motor" break in (thats the term used, not trying to offend anyone) where one motor does the work and simply spins the new motor to seat the brushes

it seems after all the titans ive gone through that its just luck of the draw. my last one was broken in with ice and water and was faster than all heck but it only lasted about >15 hours (thats 8 minutes of oval racing with 2s in a 2wd buggy each saturday with lots of practice in between) but i know a few guys are still on the same motor after a year of just running the oval without any practice time included

most 540 motors will drop right in, maybe look at a 17x2 as a good replacement motor
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If you want something similar in performance but that seems to last much longer id go with an Electrifly S600 from tower. They only cost $16 and, other than having the power wires soldered on (which most motors will need anyway) you simply use a file or grinder to make a flat spot on the motor shaft (literally a few minutes with a file or seconds with a grinder)

I run this motor in my wifes Purple Pede and its great. it can handle slightly taller gearing without suffering ill effects.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    what do you mean file a flat spot..where?

On the output shaft where you put the pinion. The pinion setscrew needs a flat spot to set against when you tighten it (the titan motor has one) and the S600 motor does not have a flat spot on the output shaft so you need to file one yourself. Its very simple.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    The Electrifly S600 sounds like a good option,how does it perform with the Pede's stock gearing

A little bit slower than stock. But much cooler, which is why it can handle higher gearing. The truth is, the stock titan cant handle the stock gearing without getting too hot under normal off road bashing conditions. The electrify might be slower than the titan with stock gearing, but it can run it without overheating. You really should gear the titan down to 16/90 to extend it's life. The s600 can handle 19/90
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    I left you a reply on "charging help" I may drop the 19 pinions and go to the 16 seeing most of our driving will be in the yard.I bet the extra 23 supplied in the RTR kit is the hot death of many Titans running in thick grassy areas or soft sand