RC Qualifier

Do i put the pinion included with the car when i run 3s?

I know you had too in the erevo 1/16... same for this? I didnt put it cuz it seemed bigger? Do i put the pinion that it comes with in? or leave it stock while running 3s?

RC Competitor
    I would switch it out.

RC Qualifier
    you sure..

If the "optional" pinion is bigger I would be hesitant to use it running 3s. That being said when it comes to gearing, motor and ESC temps should always be your guide.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    I've done this. The motor gets hotter but it goes even faster. I think its ridiculously fast with 3s and the stock pinion. IMO, its for the wow factor and showing off. My street is too narrow for big mistakes and I don't like smacking the curb hard.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The bigger pinion is for speed runs only, with appropriate cool down periods between them. Bigger pinion = faster but hotter.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Hi All,
    What SHOULD the motor and esc temps be? If you keep the temp below the reccomended levels, what is the role of a heatsink and fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigken View Post
    Hi All,
    What SHOULD the motor and esc temps be? If you keep the temp below the reccomended levels, what is the role of a heatsink and fan?
    temps should be around 140..... although higher is ok as well, but too high is bad..... at 200 the motor will start falling apart.....

if you push your vehicle to its limits, you will not keep it below the temps

the role of the heatsink and fan is to allow you to push it, and keep it cooler than without

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I found that even on 2S with a smaller than stock pinion the car would get excessively hot (motor in particular) after 2 lipo packs. So I put on a motor heatsink with a fan and that helped in a big way with the motor. But then the ESC was getting hot. Adding some venting to the body and getting some airflow under there will help big time also. If you just put a heat sink on the motor with no fan and no holes in the body the heat sink will simply heat up and do nothing. Airflow is key... a few small openings in the front and back will go a long way.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ