RC Qualifier

3.3 Engine Break-in

I have a new engine on the way. I've watched the nitro engine break-in videos on youtube, but I have a few questions. Should I wait for a warm day? Do you have to complete all 5 steps on the same day? Which glow plug should I go with?

RC Champion
    Louisiana but originally from Ottawa, Canada
    I used the traxxas 3232X glow plug on my break in.
    You don't have to do all 5 steps on the same day, it took me 2 days..
    As for a warm day, I'm not sure how cold it is where you live, but your engine does have to get over 210-220 so I'm sure if its below zero its not a good time to do a break in. Some will put a sock on the engine head to make sure you get above the temp.

If you don't have a temp gun I wouldn't do a break in on a cold day since your not sure how hot your motor gets. Thats just my .02.
    T-Maxx Predator 3.3
    Shockwave 36

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the info. I live in Oklahoma where one day we have 70's and the next we have 30's. So, on tank number one do I let the engine idle tell it gets in the 210-220 range?

RC Champion
    Louisiana but originally from Ottawa, Canada
    Since traxxas has changed their website I lost allot of my links I've only broke in 1 engine so I don't remember all of it, first 2 tanks I wasn't looking at temp but I do remember 3rd having to...maybe someone can post the break in.
    T-Maxx Predator 3.3
    Shockwave 36

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerpede View Post
    Thanks for the info. I live in Oklahoma where one day we have 70's and the next we have 30's. So, on tank number one do I let the engine idle tell it gets in the 210-220 range?
    No. Start the engine and run around per Traxxas' guidelines. Heat up the block with a heat gun or hair dryer to aid in starting for the first time.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Thanks everyone for your help. I bought my T-Maxx last year and it was a month old. The truck came in great shape, but I suspected the engine was not broken in properly. It never had much punch and even with a new carb it would not idle for very long. So, I want to make sure I do this the right way.