RC Racer

waterproofing lipos?

what do you guys recommend for waterproofing a lipo battery

RC Qualifier
    I've used a baloon, i've used a little putty, I've used shrink wrap..not heat shrink but shrink wrap for packaging.. I also use a maxamps.com battery. They are the only guarantee you'll have 4 being waterproof but are super pricey.. not complaining though because they are by far the best I own..really by WAY far.. my 3s 60c Is INSANE wherever I put it. They've been called "maxprice" and rightfully so.. but you hear that you shouldn't store a batt over a month and need to do this and that for max performance. Well how long did that bat sit in a warehouse @ tower or the local LHS. Maxamps are made to order and have a 3yr warranty. I'm waiting on a venom to come back to me cause It was DOA from horizon hobbies. But I like the $50 venom 2s for everyday bashing, I just seal up the hole in the hard casing where the wires come out and knock on wood but I've been lucky so far!..
    So to answer your ? get the $120 2s or the $150 3s from maxamps if you have the means.. I sold some old gear on ebay to help with mine.. or seal up a cheaper hard case with liquid tape or a baloon or some hvac putty and you'll most likely be fine.
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

RC Enthusiast
    Did you need to waterproof the balance tabs? I've been using plastic and rubber bands but wonder if I even
    need to

RC Racer
    got a cheap 2s 5000 mah blue lipo hardcase, im putting liquid tape on there see if it works only cost me 19 bucks so i wont mind if they get ruined, maxapps batts are way over price man lol

RC Enthusiast
    That's exactly what I did it's been great. Only problem is that it doesn't stick to the wires so you have to put a lot of coats on.

What are you doing with the balance tabs? Anyone tried just leaving them alone?

RC Racer
    left them alone. Gonna test them tomorrow on the snow

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelity007 View Post
    What are you doing with the balance tabs? Anyone tried just leaving them alone?
    No worries about the balancers.. The "waterproof" maxamps are just as open as every-other.
    When Boy When, Are You Gonna Get Your Act Together

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the tip...have you tried running your packs under water or in snow with the balance tabs exposed?

RC Racer
    my lipos did great to bad i broke my left rear hub carrier and cracked my rim): just leave em expose or wrap a small bag and tie it up with a plastic bag

RC Qualifier
    I have left my balance connector out and have have nothing happen, Gone threw water/ snow and mud... I have about 30 + cycles threw them and they still run strong. Oh and no waterproofing the lipos either.
    Wouldn't you like to know...

RC Enthusiast
    I did a run with the wire wide open and it was great. Fully covered in water and no issues...makes life a lot easier!!!!!!!

Thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    I have wrapped mine in a balloon and in shrink wrap, both work fine!
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Enthusiast
    GN...what are you referring to? The battery or the balance tab?

Quote Originally Posted by fidelity007 View Post
    GN...what are you referring to? The battery or the balance tab?
    The actual LiPo itself. Don't worry about the balance tab, i've got mine wet more than once and the battery still balances great.

RC Enthusiast
    That sounds like a great idea. I used liquid tape and about 10 layers because it keep ripping when I try to move the battery leads. But now, with a LOT of tape and a lot of time, they are rock solid in the exact location they need to be in with a lot of tape and liquid tape.

Your idea seems to be faster and probably works better. :-)

Either way should work great, i've heard of people not even using a balloon or liquid tape, just a unprotected LiPo, and it comes out unharmed.

RC Enthusiast
    That's crazy! They are protected from the elements by the battery trays, but even a little water with cause lithium to produce gas and the cells will start to puff....followed by PUFF

RC Racer
    that's what i pretty much did to my lipos
    That sounds like a great idea. I used liquid tape and about 10 layers because it keep ripping when I try to move the battery leads. But now, with a LOT of tape and a lot of time, they are rock solid in the exact location they need to be in with a lot of tape and liquid tape.

Your idea seems to be faster and probably works better. :-)

RC Enthusiast
    I have run my lipos in wet conditions without anything special being done, and have had no problems. Yes lithium is very reactive to water, but that is sealled in the cells inside your lipo, so short of damaging you lipo you should be fine.