Thread: wheel weights?

RC Racer

wheel weights?

I purchased a pack of airplane lead weights that i am hoping to add to the front of my summit to help prevent flips when climbing up steep inclines

where is the best place to put these? inside the tires? are the tires glued to the rims?
    SnowTiger Summit, Dewalt 14.4 Nimh
    Burlington, ON

RC Qualifier
    around the rims on the inside , But yea your stock tires are glued , so it will be a slight chore to get them off to put the weights in . you might have enough space to put them along the rim about same place but on the outside. just have to see if it will clear the hubs or knuckles of the suspension. I have seen this done. and would be allot less hassle , trying to take the tires off . I would ruff up the plastic alittle so the weights get a better grab . probably like 320 grit or so.

if you are setting up new tires its pretty easy. just wrap the weights around the rim on center. takes a whole pack (two strips) to make it almost all the way around. then wrap that with tape like electrical o duct tape. this helps peace of mind they wont come loose.

only have to do the fronts as you probably know.

to get tires off , there is info in this forum on that, like boiling, and baking. and one way i have used on old sets i got, was to push the tire , and run a hobby knife touching the rubber in the joint, this allows it to release , chrome rims are easier because the chrome starts to fail . but factory gluing i don't know. its hard on the hands, and you have to be careful not to get cut or cut the rubber in the wrong spot. also don't use to much pressure or you can rip the rubber.

hope helps.

RC Racer
    Thanks that was very helpful
    SnowTiger Summit, Dewalt 14.4 Nimh
    Burlington, ON

Quote Originally Posted by adamfilip View Post
    Thanks that was very helpful
    Dry fit them with tape first to make sure the rims are as balanced as possible
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    just a thought, won't making the wheels heavier put additional strain on the driveline? flywheel effect.

RC Qualifier
    Not if just crawling, but yea i would not recommend if you are in high gear bashing.

I know that just putting rock crushers on My fronts have weights , you can here a surging going on in the gear train. but that could be extra weight and diameter (so major gearing change there). so it amplify's the gear train slop(stock slop). but i did mash it a couple of times and nothing broke. but i dont plan to blast those all the time. mostly just for ruff slow stuff.

I set up Moab's with weights, and they run fine with no damage yet.

for high speed bashing i only use the red rocks and stock tires since they have no weight.

mine balanced out almost perfect no heavy spots
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I just did some high speed bashing with the Rock crushers, even with there weigths in front . I see no problem. but the clutch i can see would take a licking, seems to slip much more with rock crushers. Motor got up to 115F esc 99 and lipo batts were laughing at 74F . I used one complete set of great planes lead weights on each rim. 19 minutes off and on , with some 1st gear stuff.

Yea Listen to Jamann, dry fit the weights to get the balance. less wear and tear on drive train plus might gain a tiny bit of speed because motor is not fighting surges. mine i think has slight surge from the play in drive train. if you keep power on steady, there is no surge. only if just walking it slowly around on concrete i notice this. unlike smaller tiers.

Hey Jaman I was thinking to start a rock crusher thread. I wanted to get your input on these tires. doing certain surfaces.
    I don't want to hijack thread here.

anyway back on subject, my moabs have full scale tire weights inside and out. now these i would not recommend bashing around. little bugger are pretty heavy , they make the big rock crushers feel like stock wheels LOL

ill go scale um so you get a idea.

RC Qualifier
    Ok I scaled my various tires/rim

the moabs come in at 1lb 12oz for fronts , the rock crusher 1lb 9oz fronts,

for compare

my un weighted red rocks 14oz the stockers are 11.4oz

RC poster
    Has anyone used solder for a wheel weight? Just wrapped it around the rim and tape? I think I will try it at some point. I buy solder at a Glass shop pretty cheap.

RC Qualifier
    if affordable why not, sounds good. just pricey for me.

I'm using lead fishing weight that comes in a roll 1/4" diameter.so ya why not,make sure to start and stop in the same place to try and get the rim to balance as good as you can.If/when your foams get wet that will give you enough out of balance issues to deal with If you are bashing mostly the weight will cause handling issues. i'm not to far away from you so ya your foams are going to get wet(Insert wet coast joke here)This thing eats mountains for breakfast......perfect
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried