Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    21

    Help - Summit goes in reverse without command

    I just got the Summit yesterday ( I am new to RC Cars) and on first turn on it trickles slowly in reverse. I can tell it to go forward fine, but when it comes to a rest, it will always slowly go into reverse. Sometimes it also takes a few seconds to go into reverse on command (longer than the normal safety wait).

    The Summit is 100% stock, but, the battery is a 500maH Venom Power NiMH.

    Thoughts? I am not sure where to begin. I thought maybe the controller was sending a false signal. But, not sure how to verify that.

  2. #2
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    21
    Hmm, i turn that, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Is it not "on the fly" like the steering trim?

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Edmonton Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    286
    try checking your throttle adjustment knob on the transmitter
    anything can be fixed with duct tape and zip ties

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Edmonton Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    286
    well if you have 2.4ghz transmitter turning that multi-function knob changes your steering expo, I would tell you how to change it to throttle trim but it is extremly confusing, look in your manual to find the menu tree for the radio and try setting the multi-function knob to throttle trim
    anything can be fixed with duct tape and zip ties

  5. #5
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    52
    Most likely its just the throttle trim but you may have to recalibrate the ESC as well. Both throttle trim and recalibrating the esc the instructions are in the manual......this will give you an idea but follow the manual!

    Have transmitter on and the truck off......set throttle adjustment to "0(see manual it is a little confusing)..... plug in ESC.....press and hold ESC button led will turn red then release...full throttle forward led flashes full reverse etc etc....instructions will have details.


    Make sure not to change the throttle range from 50/50 to 70/30 or vice versa or you will have to recalibrate it again. Pic which range you want before calibrating the ESC

    Hope thats it.....good luck
    Last edited by utah300rum700; 12-29-2010 at 05:12 PM.

  6. #6
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by the rc joe View Post
    try checking your throttle adjustment knob on the transmitter
    Quote Originally Posted by the rc joe View Post
    well if you have 2.4ghz transmitter turning that multi-function knob changes your steering expo, I would tell you how to change it to throttle trim but it is extremly confusing, look in your manual to find the menu tree for the radio and try setting the multi-function knob to throttle trim
    Quote Originally Posted by utah300rum700 View Post
    Most likely its just the throttle trim but you may have to recalibrate the ESC as well. Both throttle trim and recalibrating the esc the instructions are in the manual......this will give you an idea but follow the manual!

    Have transmitter on and the truck off......set throttle adjustment to "0(see manual it is a little confusing)..... plug in ESC.....press and hold ESC button led will turn red then release...full throttle forward led flashes full reverse etc etc....instructions will have details.


    Make sure not to change the throttle range from 50/50 to 70/30 or vice versa or you will have to recalibrate it again. Pic which range you want before calibrating the ESC

    Hope thats it.....good luck
    Thanks Guys - I have to admit I kind of just jumped in without really reading the manual, so i guess it kind of serves me right

    I found the section in the manual that you guys are describing. I've got coffee on, and will be trying this out tonight. I'll post back with the results Thanks!

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Brampton, On.
    Posts
    57
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm coffee

  8. #8
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    21
    update: Doing the calibration that lets you pull the trigger forward and back addressed the issue with reverse being always on. However, the secondary issue with reverse is potentially there. When i want to go in reverse, i basically have to push reverse "twice". (This may be a feature with the summit to avoid mistaken reverse input, but, i dont know.) It seems like it thinks the first push for reverse is the brake, and the 2nd is to actually go in reverse. Other than that, everything seems to be great.

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Edmonton Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    286
    yep, first push is the break and second is reverse, if you run in a lot of water/snow you might have to push it 3 or 4 times before it goes into reverse
    anything can be fixed with duct tape and zip ties

  10. #10
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by the rc joe View Post
    yep, first push is the break and second is reverse, if you run in a lot of water/snow you might have to push it 3 or 4 times before it goes into reverse
    Is this a feature of the summit? My Slash 4x4 doesn't do this. (i am ok with this, now i just want to make sure my slash is operating correctly) :-)

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Edmonton Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    286
    if you can drive your slash at a fast speed and instantly go into reverse thats not normal, but if your going slow and it does this it's normal
    anything can be fixed with duct tape and zip ties

  12. #12
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by the rc joe View Post
    if you can drive your slash at a fast speed and instantly go into reverse thats not normal, but if your going slow and it does this it's normal
    hmm - no, i can't do that. However, this occurs with the summit even when the car is not moving. With the Slash, if the car is still (idle), and i hit reverse, it goes backwards. With the summit, i have to hit it twice

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Edmonton Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    286
    mine does that, I think it's ment for rock crawling when you need the brakes at slow speeds
    anything can be fixed with duct tape and zip ties

  14. #14
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    21
    ok - that makes sense.....

    Thanks for all the help! Going bashing tomorrow. Should be fun

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •