RC poster

Smile My first RC car can anyone give any good advice.

Hi guys, I take collection of my first RC truck/car tomorrow. Im just wondering if anyone can give any good advice into good upgrades that i cound make, plus being new to the sport any think of intrest to myself, ie good web sites or great stores to buy parts from. I feel im really going to enjoy the sport of RC racing hope i bought the right truck. Thanks Stuart

RC Qualifier
    Don't crash!

RC Racer
    Welcome to the hobby Stuart... Be warned...addiction forms rather quickly when it comes to RC

First, you've bought a Traxxas. Great choice Your best friend will be your owner's manual. Read it. All of it. That is the best piece of advice I can give you. Also remember that Traxxas has amazing customer support, so you can always contact them if you run into a major issue. They can also sell you parts.

You will break stuff. Stuff will also wear out. That's part of the hobby. Using a combination of forums, the owners manual, the parts list, Traxxas support and websites like Tower Hobbies, you should be able to find everything you need. Don't be afraid to ask questions. That's what most of us forum guys are here for.

Lastly, consider putting your ESC in training mode for the first few battery packs. You'll know how to do this once you read the manual It allows you to get a feel for the truck, practice turning, etc.
    Parts are cheap...glory lasts forever.

RC poster
    from watching youtube i can already see thats not going to be easy. Thanks mate

Sound advice, my old man would of said them same words. Lets just hope i remember when i get it out to play for the first time. Thanks mate
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-30-2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    you'll do fine, playing with it in the street with a lot of parked cars, that is what could present the most risk of damage, going to a wide open space would be great, a lot of room to practice.

RC Racer
    Looks like others have covered the basics. A lot of it you will have to learn as you go.

I'd like to add that you will need a RC tool box of some sort. Maybe you have tools already, but having a small portable "shop" is very useful. Personally I use a fishing tackle box. Home Depot has a nice red 22 piece tool kit for $4 by Husky. Makes it much easier to work on things instead of using traditional L shaped Allen set.

You'll also want some thread lock. The easy to remove kind. These cars loosen screws guaranteed.

After breaking the same parts a couple times, you'll learn which ones you should keep extras laying around. Sucks to breakdown and have to wait for shipping or the shop to open.

RC Qualifier
    buy rpm products like there a-arms and do not go aluminum even though it looks cool but instead of snapping like plastic it bends and tends to break other things
    So far so good

RC poster
    Thanks mate sound sensible.