RC Enthusiast

charger for stampede vxl 4x4

I looked online and cant seem to find anything specifically on this. It seems the charger that comes with the stampede vxl 4x4 is very slow at charging, so i want to buy one that charges in 30 minutes or so. i looked up the onyx 230, but by the time you get the plugs that fit the traxxas it becomes expensive.

I plan on using the standard battery and dont have any plans on using lipo, but what is a good charger that has the proper connectors.

i would like to keep it at 40 or 50 dollars also. i am ordering from tower hobbies for the truck today so i would prefer to order from there with something in stock, if it isnt too much to ask for

RC Qualifier
    Depending on the battery like the stock one it will not take 30 min realistically. Maybe more like 45 or so. I have heard good things about the onyx chargers and some of my buddies have them. The 230 would be good because if later on down the road if you want to go lipo you just have to get a balancer. Hope this helps
    If it ain't dirty get it dirty

RC Qualifier
    The 230 is very limited in what it can do. only 8 cell Nimh and 3S lipo. For that price, i wouldnt bother with it.
    I did a quick search on cheaper chargers that can charge most battery types and can be plugged into your household outlet, and here is a good buy with free shipping for ya:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

If you do decide to switch to lipos eventually, you dont need to buy anything else. It is ready to go.

Since you dont wanna deal with buying new connectors to use your traxxas batteries, you can simply cut off the traxxas plug and about 8 inches of wire from your old traxxas charger, then cut off the white tamiya connector from the charger listed above and strip the wires and use some wire nuts and you have a traxxas capable connector. If you have soldering tools available, soldering on a connector would be the best, but the tool less, cheapo way will work just fine too.

edit, you can order this if you dont wanna cut your wires or solder:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVPF2&P=ML
    Last edited by skeppley; 12-29-2010 at 02:09 PM. Reason: added adapter

RC Enthusiast
    i dont want to do any cutting and soldering. i guess for 50 dollars more i should just get onyx since it has good reviews

RC Qualifier
    If you dont wanna solder, get this form tower and the charger separate:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVPF2&P=ML

RC Racer
    I use the MRC 960. It charges the traxxas battery in about 45 minutes. Plenty of settings and a good price.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRST9&P=ML

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Battery charger is NOT based on time. Its based on battery capability and capacity. You dont pick a charger because it charges a battery in a certain time frame. The stock traxxas battery is 3000mah, it is capable of being charged at 1C or 1 amp per 1000mah of capacity. This translates into a 3 amp charge rate. This will take approximately 1 hour on any charger that is capable of charging at 3 amps. (which any of the chargers listed above can do easily). If you try to charge this battery at any higher rate than 3amps it will get extremely hot, damage the cells and possibly cause the cells to explode.

The Onyx charger has excellent reviews from most who have used it. Its a very good quality charger than CAN charge lipos with the addition of a balancer if you choose to do so down the road. The hobby partz chargers can also do these things, but their reputation isnt as good. Its by no means BAD... just not AS good as the Onyx chargers.

Needing different charge plugs is something you simply have to get used to in this hobby. You can buy a multi end plug that already include almost every charge plug youd ever need. Its called the Octopus. its about $25 and well worth it IMO. But, if you ONLY want to charge traxxas batteries, buy a proper traxxas charge lead. If your budget doesnt allow this, simply save up a bit longer or do what Skepply has suggested. Its not a great solution, kindof a hack job. But its free. You can also get an adapter to go from the included white plug to a traxxas plug for about $5 from tower. That will work just fine also.

Octopus multi charge adatper

White end to traxxas battery end adapter
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 12-29-2010 at 04:03 PM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Rekim....this is what I did and it worked perfectly for my Mini E-Revo batteries, and the stock 7-Cell 3000mah battery that came with my Stampede VXL. I bought a Dynamite Prophet Sport, and a Tamiya-to-Traxxas connector. It was PERFECT. It only cost $30 and the connector was like $4. I set the charger at 2 amps (my other option was 4amps..too hight for 1c charging) and it charged the battery in right around 2 hours. The beeper is LOUD and it notifies you when the charge is complete. Now, they have introduced a Prophet Sport II charger that is the same thing just about half the size and lighter for the same $$. I highly encourage this new charger. Dollar-for-Dollar, I just don't know of a better setup that is both AC/DC, small, light, and works like a charm.
    Stampede 4x4, Blade MSR & MCX, Micro Rock Crawler