Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Will merv driveshafts work on the summit?

I busted a driveshaft today and my lhs only carries merv drivshafts... Does anyone know if they will work for the summit? Im pretty sure they are the same length, but the outer end on the summit is different than on the merv.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    yes they will work.

RC Racer
    Yes they do!! Traxxas says they are not as strong as the summit drive shafts but in a pinch it worked for me. And it was not my actual drive shaft that broke, it was the metal pin that goes through it.

RC Racer
    Ok so I just broke another summit driveshaft... same thing happened the small pin snapped off. So another one broke but the merv driveshaft is still holding up fine... so im not to sure which one is stronger now... but if this keeps happening Im gonna look into the cvd's...

RC Qualifier
    I put on the cvd's and have beaten the snot out of this lil truck on 3s, and have NO probs at all !!
    Wouldn't you like to know...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by choppermech11@m View Post
    I put on the cvd's and have beaten the snot out of this lil truck on 3s, and have NO probs at all !!
    Where did you get the cvd's I do not see them on the traxxas web site.

RC Qualifier
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-02-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Fixed link

RC Racer
    Those are for the merv, aren't they too short for the rear?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by penz View Post
    Those are for the merv, aren't they too short for the rear?
    They fit good, the lenght is the same.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    Ok ill look into that, I figured they would not work because the rear arms are longer on the summit.

RC Racer
    I called traxxas and they told me that the merv cvd's will not fit on the summit.. too short for the rear. So are you using the stock summit arms with the merv cvd's, or did you put the merv arms on? Also im concerned with the summit driveshafts, I have busted 3 already and keep replacing them with the stock merv shafts from my lhs and those are holding up just fine?... The summit shafts are supposed to be stronger. Im already tired of buying drive shafts so it would be nice if the merv cvd's fit but I want to know for sure before I drop 60 bonz on them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm using rpm a-arms front and rear, so basically yes merv arms. I'will take out both shaft and compare them.

RC Racer
    I'm using rpm a-arms front and rear, so basically yes merv arms. I'will take out both shaft and compare them.
    Yeah the merv arms are 10mm shorter than the summit, and the cvd'd do not telescope so they would be too short. So my only options are to keep replacing drive shafts, wait for the summit cvd's to come out, or spend even more cash for revo arms... I think ill just stick with the 5 dollar replacement shafts for now.

RC poster
    after stripping 4 shaft . im going to that route too

3s lipo deliver too much power for the stock CVD's

RC poster
    In the March 2011 magazine of RC Driver, there is a Traxxas ad for 1/16 Erevo. Slash and Summit parts. It says that part
    # 7151X fits the E-Revo/Summit

RC Qualifier
    Like I had said before as well, I put the cvds on FROM my merv and put them on the Summit. Both side by side, no mods at all. SO far I have about 15-20 runs on the mini summit and have had zero probs. No popping out. 100%

RC Racer
    Hmm well maybe ill give it a shot... traxxas said they won't work/too short, and that they were working on the cvd's for the summit. I got 2 more merv shafts to throw on if I snap another summit shaft so ill just wait it out for now and hope the merv shafts hold up.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hmm well maybe ill give it a shot... traxxas said they won't work/too short, and that they were working on the cvd's for the summit. I got 2 more merv shafts to throw on if I snap another summit shaft so ill just wait it out for now and hope the merv shafts hold up.
    The a-arms are the same lenght don't get confused with the 10mm extended wheelbase that's different.

Last edited by RC-Fan; 01-13-2011 at 09:47 AM.

RC Racer
    Ohhhh! Haha! Great picture. Its 10mm longer, not wider, got it. Ok so why would traxxas tell me they would not work? I don't get it but ok looks like ill be ordering some merv cvd's...

I guess I sould have googled wheelbase haha! The width would be the track... Man I overlooked that one.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-13-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    So let me get this straight. The A-arms are longer in the rear on the Summit, and the steel cvd's for the merv will still work?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacKenzie28 View Post
    So let me get this straight. The A-arms are longer in the rear on the Summit, and the steel cvd's for the merv will still work?
    If you look at the pic the stock arm is the merv arms the second arm is the summit a-arm if you look at both they are the same lenght, so where is the 10mm diff? it is in the wheelbase not in the arm, the extended arm is designed 10mm more to the back of the chassis, so the distance between the front arms and the rear is 10mm longer than the stock. To conclude the merv shaft fit the the summit also the cvd´s.

RC Racer
    I just called traxxas and they said that the A-arms are the same length as the merv (as shown in the pic above), the summits are just wider to accommodate for the LT-rocker. They said due to the LT-rockers the steel cvd's will pop out of the rear. Maybe someone who has put theses on could take a picture to see how they look on the truck. I know that some people have said it works but it I would hate to spend $60 for something that doesn't work properly. I would like to know how close the end of the cvd is from popping out?
    Last edited by MacKenzie28; 01-13-2011 at 03:39 PM.

RC Racer
    Check these out! I just ordered a set on ebay for 43 bux shipped! They are steel swing drive shaft cvd's made by gpm, they are telescoping! These things look indestructable!! And 10 bux each! Just look up item # 150519799948 only 1 set left...

RC Racer
    Check these out! I just ordered a set on ebay for 43 bux shipped! They are steel swing drive shaft cvd's made by gpm, they are telescoping! These things look indestructable!! And 10 bux each! Just look up item # 150519799948 only 1 set left...
    I was looking into these to buying these but after reading the the reviews I stuck with the stock shafts. Hope you have better luck with them, let us know how they work when you install then.

RC Racer
    Yeah I read some bad reviews as well, mainly the screws in the joints coming out, ill take them all out and locktite. Seen a couple broken ones but that happens to all brands. I have a hardness tester at work and im gonna see how hard the steel is, if its not the right hardness I have a furnace at work to throw them in. Also read about them being off balance? Not sure but if i notice anything like that they will be returned. Also most of the bad reviews i read about them came about when they first came out, I noticed these are branded version 2, so ill see whats up with them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I just called traxxas and they said that the A-arms are the same length as the merv (as shown in the pic above), the summits are just wider to accommodate for the LT-rocker. They said due to the LT-rockers the steel cvd's will pop out of the rear. Maybe someone who has put theses on could take a picture to see how they look on the truck. I know that some people have said it works but it I would hate to spend $60 for something that doesn't work properly. I would like to know how close the end of the cvd is from popping out?
    Quote Originally Posted by choppermech11@m View Post
    Like I had said before as well, I put the cvds on FROM my merv and put them on the Summit. Both side by side, no mods at all. SO far I have about 15-20 runs on the mini summit and have had zero probs. No popping out. 100%
    He tested them so I believe they work good.

RC Racer
    I just got some Traxxas steel cvd's. I'm going to install them to night I'll let you guys know how they go.

I was just wondering do they make a rebuild kit for the steel cvd's
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-14-2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    I don't think that a rebuild kit but they make replacemant shafts.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZUA3&P=7

RC Racer
    So here's my thoughts on the Traxxas steel cvd's DON"T GET THEM FOR THE SUMMIT. They barely fit. Holding the truck in the air and lightly putting it in reverse the cvds pop out. Wait and see if traxxas releases the proper ones for the summit. Looks like these will be going on ebay tonight

RC Racer
    So here's my thoughts on the Traxxas steel cvd's DON"T GET THEM FOR THE SUMMIT. They barely fit. Holding the truck in the air and lightly putting it in reverse the cvds pop out. Wait and see if traxxas releases the proper ones for the summit. Looks like these will be going on ebay tonight
    Wow that's strange...I can see how the angle the extended wheelbase adds could cause need for a slightly longer shaft, add in the longer travel and I could see them possibly being too short. Well after that diagram of the two arms side by side and comments from other users saying they fit I'm suprised. Well ill find out how the gpm shafts fit next week, I have been bustin the stock shafts left and right and they run 8 bux... so 10 bux a pop for steel shafts is worth a go for me.

RC Qualifier
    What are you talking about?? I have had them on since day 1. I have had ZERO problems, I have almost 50+ packs now on them. NOT a single pop out or problem. I have used 2s &3s Look in the pics I have jumped this thing over 15-20 in the air landed on it in every way poss and still perfect.
    Post up a pic of what you are talking about..

Okay,
    Well I have been out for 15 min trying to make them pop out, I seriously cannot. Everything from reverse, forward, bouncing, dropping upside, down side. I even gave it a good throw to see. All while my wife was holding the trigger about 1/2-3/4 throttle.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-16-2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Could be the problem installing those with the stock summit rear-arms? Chopper has rpm merv´s a-arm and does not has any issues. Could be the 10mm extended wheelbase causing the cvd to pop out ? Mackenzie could you tell if the poped cvd was at front or in rear.

RC Racer
    Yeah it must be the merv arms that make it work. Has anyone else tried putting the merv cvd's on the summit with the stock summit arms?

RC Qualifier
    Well If I have some extra time this weekend, i will stick the org arms back on and give her a another beating, and update you guys on the findings.

RC Racer
    I was using the stock summit a-arms and they pop out in the rear I didn't even bother installing the fronts.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I was using the stock summit a-arms and they pop out in the rear I didn't even bother installing the fronts.
    That must be the problem then because chopper installed them without issues but using merv's a-arms. If you want to sell those cvds pm me.

RC Racer
    I just got my gpm shafts earlier than expected. They look to be good quality. I took out the screws and put locktite so hope they hold together. Installation was quick and went smoothly. Here are some pics.

Well I did not get to run them too long, about 20 min out front, but so far so good. Did speed runs, some gravel, some kartwheels haha, grass... seem to be holding up just fine. The real test will be some jumping, tomorrow hopefully.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-16-2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    Just broke a rear shaft today snapped the pin in half that goes threw the plastic female end at the diff pivot ball. I have two spare female merv ends from when I replaced the front axles but traxxas locktighted the poo out of the axle screw so I can't get the broken end of the axle off the diff, twisted one Allen wrench and then stripped the whole woo yea me NOT
    Last edited by Mike_C; 01-16-2011 at 09:31 PM.
    KB rally & 1/16 summit
    94 ford ranger 2.3T

RC Racer
    I was not impressed with the stock summit shafts, I busted 3 of them. The merv shafts held up a lot better for me. Today I went out and bashed my summit with my new gpm shafts and they held up just fine. And I was beatin the truck up! So far I'm impressed, time will tell.

RC Competitor
    Lucky you I can't find the GPM axles like you got. I wouldn't be upset if i could get the stupid axle screw out but it's so small and there is so much locktite I can't get it loose and now it's stripped ugh
    KB rally & 1/16 summit
    94 ford ranger 2.3T