Thread: Bad ESCs

RC Enthusiast

Bad ESCs

I got my 4X4 the day they came in from my LHS, got 3 batteries through it before the ESC went bad, acted like it was in setup mode, flashing red lights. Still had steering power but no juice to the motor. LHS had seen the same thing on a couple new 4X4 Slash's and found the problem to be a sticking power button on the ESC. You cannot get to the button from inside the case because of the waterproofing and I could not get a grip on the button with anything.

Traxxas support had me dribble shock oil on the button but that didn't work. So they sent a new ESC to the LHS and asked them to swap me. All of their stock had gone to swap for other bad ESCs and I have been waiting a week for my new one. Anyone else seeing this?

RC Racer
    simply speculation, but seems to me after reading of the problems with the esc's on the mini summit, that they have some quality control issues to work out with the manufacturing facility, possibly with several new vehicles coming out at the same time, along with stocking vehicles for xmas, the esc's got rushed through...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    I think mines starting to act up. I have a small premature LVC problem. It shuts off at around 3.68v per cell, and the factory setting is from 3.2v-3.4v, not really a big deal, but still not right. I also when I was coming back in, experienced the blinking red light with no throttle but steering. When I take it back out to check, I will see what the issue is. Traxxas quality sure has seemed to go through the tubes lately with their electronics. I hope they too aren't going to get greedy buy cutting corners.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC poster
    I rushed out and bought one on december 23rd. Im newly back into the hobby, I was so excited! Bought a 3s lipo, a new charger, charged the pack and fired it up. The run was AWESOME until the last moments. The truck started jittering and would no longer go into reverse, i pulled it in, popped the body and the esc was actually smokiing/steaming... I called traxxas on monday and sent them my esc.. This truck is sick but im bummed. Also a few weeks ago i bought a mini-slash vxl, and somehow that esc is fried too!! Traxxas is dropping the ball here.

RC poster
    I posted this somewhere else but it seems like everyone having issues with the esc are using 3s lipos. I would use 2s lipos unless you really plan on monitoring the temps and know what to expect. Running 3 pack in a row, if they were all 3s lipos I am guessing would heat it up pretty good.

RC poster
    from the way mine was acting, and the fact that some blackish water seaped out through the cracks in the esc case, im betting mine was just water damage

RC Racer
    i had the same problem with my vxl 3s that was on my rustler and it wasn't from the 4x4. i think its most of the new escs' that do it, one thing about mine was that if i pushed the button from the side with my fingernain and pulled it up it would unstick but sometimes it was harder then others.. but that was all i had to do to get it to work!

Quote Originally Posted by nissan240 View Post
    from the way mine was acting, and the fact that some blackish water seaped out through the cracks in the esc case, im betting mine was just water damage
    hey i looked in a vxl that had that same "blackish water comimg out of it and it was popped power cap that was the cause of it!! that might of been what you saw coming out of it.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-01-2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    I had a similar issue. On the 2nd run with a new 3s lipo (in lipo mode), I went to turn on the car and had no throttle. The motor got really hot instantly and the esc started smoking. I noticed the same blackish substance seeping out the cracks. I sent in to Traxxas for warranty replacement.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by evldor View Post
    I posted this somewhere else but it seems like everyone having issues with the esc are using 3s lipos. I would use 2s lipos unless you really plan on monitoring the temps and know what to expect. Running 3 pack in a row, if they were all 3s lipos I am guessing would heat it up pretty good.
    i was running the stock pack and stock gearing and it still happend to me, but we all know the outcome of it Traxxas of course is taking care of it like allways!!8) Thats why i Love'em