RC Enthusiast

Need Help with 2 day old summit

Hello,

I received my summit for xmas and have had approximately 5 mins of time behind the wheel. The rest of the time my 2 boys (5yrs and 8 yrs old) have been driving it. I went inside this afternoon for a couple of minutes to warm up and came back out and noticed the left front wheel looked out of whack. I asked the boys if they hit anything and got the blank stare with a "I dont know...." answer. LOL

Long story short, I have a broken front skid plate and broken front bulkhead. Bad news, LHS doesnt carry any summit parts and tower is out of stock for the summit front bulkhead part #5630.

Question: Can I use a front bulkhead for a Revo (#5330) in my Summit (#5630)?

Thanks for your time and advice! Happy Holidays!

RC Qualifier
    Look on EBay, will find lots for a good price. Most ship the same day. Will get them quick.

Edit:

By the way, I did the same thing, hit a concrete footing full bore. Got extra bulkheads for nest time and have not used one since. Have a great time with those kids.
    Last edited by sandblaster; 12-26-2010 at 10:05 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Call traxxas see what they have to say.. they are great I am sure they have the parts
    No you cant drive it
    my RC is owner operated only

atomic hobbies has some http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Front-Bulkhead Ebay is a great source for parts as well, good prices
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    The bulkheads are different in that there is a notch for the T-Lock so no the revo bulkhead will not work unless you modify it. Get one off ebay in auction or buy it now.
    jennys_rcsport has a front and rear set (both) for 6.99 as buy it now
    Traxxas Summit 5607 Bulkhead

RC Enthusiast
    #5607? I thought the part number is #5630?

Thanks everyone, I am going to pick one up off eBay.

Anyone making aluminum bulkheads? I only found a rear aluminum bulkhead but it was 169.00. (wow!)
    also any input on the kershaw design single motor? Is it better than the stock Titan?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Instante View Post

Anyone making aluminum bulkheads? I only found a rear aluminum bulkhead but it was 169.00. (wow!)
    also any input on the kershaw design single motor? Is it better than the stock Titan?
    the summits model number is 5607.
    Just search ebay for "Traxxas Summit 5607 Bulkhead "
    as for Kershaw stuff you will have to read about it and decide for yourself. I plan on going dewalt when mine dies

RC Qualifier
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Front-Bulkhead

and if you list is bigger i think these codes will work to help santa

$100.00 - $149.99 $5.00 JJDPP105
    $150.00 - $249.99 $12.50 JJDPP1012
    $250 - $749.99 $25.00 JJDPP1025
    $750 or more! $75.00 JJDPP1075

Classic " blank stare with a "I dont know...." LOL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Instante View Post

I think you'll find that was for the mini-erevo/summit, I havent seen any metal bulks for the full size erevo and summit...
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by VonGearStripper View Post
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Front-Bulkhead

and if you list is bigger i think these codes will work to help santa

$100.00 - $149.99 $5.00 JJDPP105
    $150.00 - $249.99 $12.50 JJDPP1012
    $250 - $749.99 $25.00 JJDPP1025
    $750 or more! $75.00 JJDPP1075

Classic " blank stare with a "I dont know...." LOL

Thanks for the codes! I will definitely be in the 150.00-249.99 range.

Any input on the aluminum skid plates?

RC Qualifier
    Aluminum looks cool, but snags on rocks , better with stock plastic, it will slide more .

Glad it will help.

RC Champion
    no - revo and summit bulk heads are totally different. Cant be customized to fit. Along with a small notch for the t-lock switch the entire inner section of the summit bulkhead is larger due to the wider locking differential. I f seen from the bottom the revo bulkhead iss the same on both sides while one side of the summit bulk head is approx 4mm wider - the summit diff will not allow the revo bulkhead to close.

there have been many discussions of companie making revo aluminum bulk heads but little have come of it. Most folks say it would cost too much ($110). And we group of summit owners pale in comparison to the amount of revo/erevo owners, so we summit owner will never see an aluminum bulk head for our trucks. But aluminum skid plates are the same and are actually pretty sturdy.
    Last edited by noir 522; 12-27-2010 at 07:37 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    Check RCPlanet, or amainhobbies.
    Rustler VXL | Slash | Stampede 4x4

RC Racer
    Sometimes mechanical engineers put "fuses" into a complex machine.

A plastic part may be designed to bend, where an aluminum part will just transmit all the impact down the line to the next connected part. Of course the plastic front skid plate may break if the force is hard enough, but at least you have a chance of some shock absorption before it passes it along to the next part downstream.

People I'm sure have had great success with metal skid plates, otherwise they wouldn't be sold. When I look at my stock front skid plate, I can flex it slightly; it makes a great "fuse" shock absorber.

RC Qualifier
    Along the "fuse" ideal. Grandson hit a curb head on square. Hard hit. caused lipo damage, no hard case. Did not break a thing on the summit. RPM front bumper mount absorbed the worst. Really amazed us.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by sandblaster View Post
    Along the "fuse" ideal. Grandson hit a curb head on square. Hard hit. caused lipo damage, no hard case. Did not break a thing on the summit. RPM front bumper mount absorbed the worst. Really amazed us.
    But to confess: I killed two stock front bumpers in a span of two weeks. The second time it broke in two places so the front bumper ended up hanging off the front. I now have one RPM mounted on the front, and will swap the rear out next time it gets smashed.

And I have a 4.5 oz weight that I can slip behind the front skid plate when crawling. But I crafted it so that I can remove it in seconds and put it in my pocket, for higher speed stuff. But it defeats the purpose of the skid plate bending since the weight would transmit the shock directly to the bulkhead if I left it there for high speed.
    Last edited by H2Ohaze; 12-29-2010 at 11:25 AM.

the stock mounts are too flexy i think i broke a couple of fronts and rears switched to rpm as soon as they were availible haven't broke one since and where i run breakage will happen not if ...but when
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried