RC poster

Converting a Revo 3.3 to an E-Revo

The first question I have is without worrying about the cost, should I get an e-revo chassis or stay with the revo 3.3 one. I will be bashing and jumping so wouyld there be problems with the e-revo chassis flexing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    With a few simple mods, the erevo chassis is nice and solid- the motor mounting area on the nitro chassis is just as prone to snapping if you do lots of jumping and bashing so.... meh.

You'll obviously need the erevo chassis, tranny, skids and driveshafts, but its just a case of transferring over the front and rear ends from the nitro.

If you fancy getting... fancy, there are lots of ways to convert a nitro revo: clicky
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC poster
    Thanks for that link, lots of nice conversions.
    At this stage I'm leaning towards the e-revo chassis for the neat layout.
    So now it's down to POWER. What's the best motor and esc for the e-revo chassis (is the stock Mamba Monster sufficient) and what is the best/most powerful motor to use if i went with the revo 3.3 chassis.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The MMM system is more than sufficient yeah- it'll work just fine on the nitro chassis too ( standard bolt pattern so it'll fit the rc-monster and technorc mounts fine, bearing in mind its ~42mm diameter vs the usual 36mm diameter most motors are ).

The only real difference between the two options will be whether you run 2x 2s or 2x 3s lipos or one large 4-6s lipo, depending on the chassis and/or conversion route you take. The erevo layout is alot cleaner yeah, and there is plenty of room for most lipo options- more info of that nature in my erevo faq and tutorials page at the top of the forum page.

RC poster
    I'v decided to go for the e-revo chassis and MMM system. What would be the highest capacity batteries to run at the highest voltage which will fit in the e-revo chassis compartments?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Usual option would be a pair of 3s lipos, 5000mah, with a C rating of atleast 30C ideally; exact dimensions will vary from company to company, even with the same or similar specs, so always check the listed dimensions and allow a little wiggle room:

also think about the wires and how they exit the pack, you may need to do a little dremelling to let the wires exit the battery trays without snagging etc- no biggy really, pretty common.

Bear in mind that a 6s lipo setup is really for full-on highspeed speed runs onroad & on flat ground- really not for everyday use; you'd be better off with 2x 2s lipos ( 30c+ 5000mah still ), or even 2s + 3s for a nice 5s setup ( great mix of speed and power without being too nutty ). Gear it about 22-24/68 on 4s, few motches lower on 5 & 6s.

This should help some:

EREVO FAQ

Refer to this to learn about Lipos, BL motors & escs, and lipo chargers & charging.

TUTORIALS

Refer to this to setup your MMM esc for maximum performance:

CASTLE LINK GUIDE

Refer to this to find parts, upgrades, batts & chargers etc:

USEFUL LINKS

Have fun

RC poster
    Nice FAQ, it's a good source for info.
    Do you think that 2 of these batteries would be good?
    http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=103
    What would be the estimated runtime just bashing and how would that compare to a 60C 4000mah battery?
    What gearing would you recommend for a max speed of 40-45 (same as the revo 3.3, I don't go very fast often).

Thanks for the help!

EDIT:

Found that the *******/***** batteries was mentioned as a cheap but ok battery.
    I am currently looking at the ***** ********* 5800mAh 3S1P 30C. Do you think that it is worth giving them a try? Half the price of the SMC ones plus shipping to here (AUS) is cheaper.
    Last edited by sam.no21; 12-27-2010 at 02:54 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Batts is a tricky issue as there are literally bazillions of them, of very similar spec. I like the ******* and ***** lipos as thats what I use myself- you just have to take into account their quality control isnt always perfect so you do occasionally get a weak or dud cell in a pack; given the prices though, you could happily pick up several packs. I would look at the ********** ones too, they have gotten the best feedback out of all them really. Bear in mind the dimensions though like I said- I dont know if that 5800mah 3s pack will fit, might be too tall ( overall spec is fine though ).

If you're only after 40-45mph, I would stick with 2x 2s lipos really, and run 24/68-65, should put you right in the 40-45mph region; 2x 3s is really for 50-60mph+, on road or over hard level ground. Nothing to stop you running 2s + 3s together though for 5s lipo total, just keep all the other specs the same ( C ratign & mah capacity ).

RC Racer
    I run spc 2s 8000mAh 20c X2 with 24/65 gearing and its PLENTY fast especially for bashing , and i get good run times (30-40 minutes depending) no temp issues AT ALL . This works for me and imo 3s X2 is to much for bashing its pretty hard on the truck and you'll spend allot of time working on it . If you just GOTTA have crazy speed for bashing AND on road driving then (i hear )the 5s set up is good but id be careful with it .

course AoD pretty much said the same thing im just saying i agree
    RC's are an addiction and i dont want help :D

RC Enthusiast
    I had my old account fixed so I will be using this one instead of the sam.no21 account.

I decided that I will buy the ***** lipos and am now looking for a charger. Is the iCharger 106B-plus 250W 6s Balance/Charger any good? or would you recommend something different?

For a power supply I was looking at the 25A 14v DC Power Supply for Chargers (350W) from HK to power two chargers.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Anything iCharger flavoured is great- cant argue with the spec on the 106B ( 10amps and 6s lipo ). Not sure about powersupplies so much- something with a gauge on the front and dual outlets to run two chargers would be nice I suppose, but that spec is more than fine I'd say really.

RC Enthusiast
    Would you be able to recommend any stronger shock mount for the front and back? I find I wreck the plastic ones when I remove the shocks.

Thanks