RC poster

Newbie battery question

Hey Y'all,

Fairly new to the R/C gig
    The last one I had was a Radio Shack Jeep, back in the late 70's.

I got the blue minisum, (Same color as my Dakota)
    It'll be here tomorrow. (My birthday)

Scared of Lipo's, so don't waste bandwidth telling me about how great they are.

May go with LiFe's later, but for now....

I'd like to know if the series 4 powercell batteries will fit with no mods.

Or will I only be able to use series 1, 2, 3 ???

Thanks!
    Johnny 5

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Only series 1.

Thread cleaned.
    Please, gentlemen - if you don't want to answer the question, don't post.
    -ksb51rl
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Thread cleaned.
    Please, gentlemen - if you don't want to answer the question, don't post.
    -ksb51rl
    Thank you.

RC poster
    I know its Christmas eve but i hope someone is up looking at this thing. I just bought a imax b6ac+ charger and trying to charge a duratrax 1600 mah nimh. Anyone with some experience with this charger please help. I set the mah to max 1600 and put the charge at .5 amp. One of the batteries already beeped after maybe 40 minutes that it was full but i unplugged it and put it back on the charger with the same settings and its charging again. The batteries are not even warm to the touch so please any help would be great.

increase to 1amp it will work better than charging at .5
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Racer
    I have that same charger. I would charge it at 1.6 amps. I have a 5 cell 1600mah receiver pack in one of my trucks. I charge it at 1.6 amps and it gets just a littlle warm as it should. Also use the peak detection rather than setting the mah limit.

RC poster
    I charged them lastnight on the .5 amp and they seemed to get real warm to the touch after a few hrs. When i ran them today they maybe lasted 5 or so minutes when i ran the stock one along on the lowest setting for the truck. I then ran the 2 1600 on the series connector just for fun and they lasted maybe 5 minutes. Are the nihm only going to last 5 or so minutes or am i not charging them correctly.

My suggestion to you would be to buy a decent charger, the one that comes with the truck is just too basic. With a good charger you can charge the packs in about an hour and they will likely be charged better than with the wall charger that comes with the truck. The stock packs used to give me about 10-12 min run times in my MERV when charged on my Hyperion charger. If you do upgrade chargers I would suggest stepping up and buying one that is lipo capable so you can make that jump at a later date.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    NiMH Batteries should be charged at 1C, which is 1/10 of the maH rating. This is regardless of the number of cells etc.

1600 maH set to 1.6 amps
    2300 maH set to 2.3 amps
    1200 mAh set to 1.2 amps

.5 would be for 500 maH, which means on a 1600 maH, would take 3+ or so times as long to charge. which will probably exceed the safety turn of on your charger.

Enjoy the new toy

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by donald0 View Post
    NiMH Batteries should be charged at 1C, which is 1/10 of the maH rating. This is regardless of the number of cells etc.

1600 maH set to 1.6 amps
    2300 maH set to 2.3 amps
    1200 mAh set to 1.2 amps

.5 would be for 500 maH, which means on a 1600 maH, would take 3+ or so times as long to charge. which will probably exceed the safety turn of on your charger.

Enjoy the new toy
    1C is shown as you have shown but it is not 1/10 the mah rating. 1C is any packs being discharged/charged in one hour and usually equates to the packs rating. To covert from milli-amps to amps divide by 1000. It is 1/1000 the mah rating.

RC poster
    You are correct. Sorry for the Typo

RC poster
    I don't know whats wrong , maybe my charger. I charged the stock and the 2 the batteries i have at 1 amp and still got maybe 5-7 minutes run time out of them. I even ran them in parallel and no more run time. My truck also would stop for no reason so i would have to turn it back on which happened about 4 times before i gave up. My son is very disappointed with the truck and only wants to drive it for more than 5 minutes or even more than 1-2 without it cutting off. For the money i have spent this thing should not have this kind of trouble or run time.

Van you may be running nimh packs with the ESC in lipo mode. Consult your manual you can switch of the LVC or lipo mode very easily and that would give you longer run time from your nimh packs.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power