Thread: Stripped Screws

RC poster

Stripped Screws

I got the 2.4 ghz radio for my summit for christmas. I knew in advance that the screws on the receiver box were screwed so I just ordered a new box for it too. Now I am stumped on how to get the cover off of the box. Both of the screws holding the cover on are stripped and I don't have a dremmel or a screw extractor. I am looking for a way to get the cover off, even if it means breaking it because I have a replacement. Buying a dremmel or screw extractor would be my absolute last resort here. Any help?
    Thanks

RC Qualifier
    you have a heat knife or soldering gun? other option is get something like a butter knife or old knife, heat it with a lighter and use it to melt/cut the box. or just a good old saw blade an cut it many very simple ways if you are not worried about keeping the box.
    Last edited by blue_uscg; 12-25-2010 at 07:47 PM.
    No you cant drive it
    my RC is owner operated only

RC Qualifier
    Drill out the screws. Even if they spin they may make a big enough hole in the plastic to pull them out.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Bread knife works nicely on plastic, especially an electric one- just dont let the wife see you...
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC poster
    Large wire cutters. Just clip the sides and open..

RC Champion
    Take some small needlenose pliers and grip the outside of the screw head. Most of the time stripped screw heads are caused by cheap tools. http://www.tonysscrews.com for replacement screw set of better quality.
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.

RC Qualifier
    Hi,If you drill the tops off the screws there'll be enough thread to grab with pliers

RC poster
    well, I forgot to read all of the replies today, so I ended up using a saw to cut a square in the top of the cover of the box and then I just used vice grips and needlenose pliers to break off the rest of the cover. I then easily pulled out the old receiver, replaced the box, put the new 2.4 ghz receiver in, plugged everything back in, sealed it closed, and it is going good so far. It used to studder so much and once or twice it floored itself into a wall (without breaking anything!) but now it is nice and smooth. I love how there is no antenna on the truck so you don't have to thread it through the body when you put it back on. also the antenna on the transmitter is nice because it can't be bent (that was a problem for me with the old radio)