RC Competitor

not really impressed with Dewalt 14.4 ??

ok guys, i'm reading allot here on this forum lately and i love the stream of info about how-to's and upgrades etc...

one of the upgrades was the overly known Dewalt motor...

long story short :

-bought one.
    -mounted it in the sumo (my name for the summit, lol) with stock pinion.
    -tested it.

the torque is impressive but i do overrev it fast, so i need a taller pinion.
    i ordered a 18 and a 20T but theys till did'nt arrive.

so i went out bashing/crawling in the snow(1 feet in some places yesterday @ -5) celcius) and the first time i went out with the 3000mah stock Traxxas batts, they weren't fully charged but after 10min the fun was over.
    then the Bionic's 4600mah nimh's took theyre place(just fully charged) and after 15min the truck stopped...
    1 connector made a bad connection i think and one of the gold plated contacts was burned and almost half gone.

the esc was pretty hot, the motor to and the batts where almost smoking

i put the batt with the good connector onto the charger and it seemed the battery was almost empty after 15min of driving(50% bashing and 50% crawling).

normally with the stock motor i could do 35min easy with the 4600's.

the power is good but the battery consumption is huge and i think with the bigger pinion it will only get worse :-(

the pinion/spur is perfectly aligned(remember this is my job and i'm doing this for 15years so ive aligned "a few" pinion/spurs in my life ;-) ) so that is'nt causing the heat/battery consumption problem, the rest seems fine to, no binding anywhere whatsoever etc.

next week i will be able to test with the new pinions, if the heat/consumption problem increases i'm going back to the titan motor, it ws'nt the strongest but it took the sumo everywhere i wanted...

RC Qualifier
    if you stay dewalt i would say go lipo.
    No you cant drive it
    my RC is owner operated only

RC Competitor
    yeah i know but i do not like lipo in my sumo, it makes it to light to crawl...

RC Qualifier
    the lipo batteries in my summit are just as heavy as my old 7 cell nimh batteries
    anything can be fixed with duct tape and zip ties

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by the rc joe View Post
    the lipo batteries in my summit are just as heavy as my old 7 cell nimh batteries
    mine does'nt, i have the 5000mah 20c *******'s and they are almost 200gr lighter then a 4600mah nimh.

RC Qualifier
    Why sumo...?
    SUMMIT- DeWalt, 4S
    SUMMV- 3S
    MERV- 3S

RC Competitor
    i don't know how you describe it in english to deform a word but it is just a deformed(again sorry for not knowing the right word) manner of saying 'summit' + this thing is huge for a 1/10 monster truck ! :-)

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Its an abbreviation or 'nick name' for the truck:

sumo = summit
    pede= stampede
    rusty = rustler
    merv = mini erevo

you get the idea....
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

I'm not suprised that your not impressed with the dewalt sounds like you were expecting brushless speed on nimh power
    the dewalt really needs lipo to make it better than the stock,You can always add weight, in this case where it would do some good as far forward as possible like in the front wheels
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    keep in mind the dewalt is not brushless so don't expect 40mph. Also note that the dewalt is power hungry so lipos really is a must. on 5000mah lipos and a mix of bashing and crawling I was getting near 40 min runtimes. But the key is that the dewalt is DURABLE and can take a beating, can take over-volting, and can take higher gearing (within common sense). If you want more speed you can step up to a 20 tooth pinion drop the spur down to 65-ish and hook up 5s lipos (read the summit FAQ) and see speeds nearing 30mph still with torque to spare - and the motor can take it.
    Last edited by noir 522; 12-25-2010 at 11:09 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    i know the Dewalt is not made for high speed and i don't wantt hat to but i feel it justs like it's 'overrevving' to fast especially in low gear.
    that means most of the torque is gone past half throttle...

i'm more dissapointed that my run time went from 35+ minutes to 15 min and that everything becomes that hot even tough i have a to small pinion for the motor for my feeling.

RC Champion
    mine never seemed to over rev. Do you think maybe the dewalt is too powerful for the slipper clutch? Try tightening it down some. But low gear has always been a "strange bird" as far as sounds go, so that higher spining may be natural. Also a 14t pinion is pretty slow. I know its stock but most run 18t, so when yours arrive it should be a big difference. As far as run times, the dewalt is very powerful but not overly efficient. Next time cut the room lights out and look at the motor. You can see a fireworks display (a lot of sparks) inside the motor (read - wasted energy). The heat issue is not uncommon but at that pinion/spur combo it should not be very hot. During some test/speed runs I got up to a 22/54 before the heat actually did some damage.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    the Dewalt is a bit to strong for the slipper, with the titan i set the slipper that it barely slips under full throttle @ take of, this prevents the sumo to wheelie and that is fine by me because untill now i did'nt even break one drive shaft(knock on wood).

with the Dewalt the slipper slips about half a second and now i tested some 5000mah lipo's and it slips for about a second or longer(lol).

i need to tighten the slipper up a bit i think :-P

anyway, with the stock pinion and lipos the Dewalt definatly came alive !
    i was just bashing here on the driveway and main road over ice and frozen snow and i had the best time ever with the sumo, did some crawling but it was'nt that fun, the power was so huge i mainly did some bashing.

the 5000mah gave a run time of 23min @ full throttle with the front diff locked(because of the icy road the front diff lock was a must).

i think i still need to put in a bigger pinion but a 18T should be fine, the lipo's where warm, the motor was hot and the esc was in between so have some headroom(+ i was driving that glove thingy around my chassis to keep the snow out so the electronics aren't that good vented).

RC Champion
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RSmodelstore View Post
    anyway, with the stock pinion and lipos the Dewalt definatly came alive !
    i was just bashing here on the driveway and main road over ice and frozen snow and i had the best time ever with the sumo, did some crawling but it was'nt that fun, the power was so huge i mainly did some bashing.
    Told ya so. Would we summit guys steer you wrong? Wait untill you goto 5s.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    yep 5s would be plain sick ! :-O

the only downside is the runtime, with 5000mah i rather see +30min but i have a new set of 5200mah 30 or 40C on it's way ;-)