RC Racer

Angry ok traxxas i hope u guys see my ad on here.....

i have a summit the 1/10 and im breaking diffs all the time it is all stock and i now need a new set.. im really sick of replacing diffs this is my 10th set this year...

so any one know of a diff up grade????

thank's

RC Qualifier
    What in the world are you doing? You do know with the diffs locked not to go fast or if you bind the wheels up just pick up the truck tring to force it will break them.. I have 2 Summits a stock one with he dewalt upgrade and another one stock with the Mamba Monster and i beat these truck bad and have only broken axles but that has been my fault.
    No you cant drive it
    my RC is owner operated only

RC poster
    What diff fluid are you running?

This thread will interest you i think http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...tmaxx+diff%27s diff's locked high gear = broken stuff and spider gears in pieces
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    wow i have beat my summit like a redheaded step child(sorry to all red heads) and i can't even get a diff to blow up. I am also running twin 775's on lipo! I would check you diffs to see if they are assembled right. the shims i think they are called have to be the right way or you will blow them up constantly. A buddy of mine was diong this and that stopped the problem. If you look at the exploded view you can see in the diff they are the parts that fit on the spiders and slide into the slots on the diff cup.
    Revenge 1/8 buggy

RC Racer
    ok when i run my summit i am hard on it.. but my 1st one was the best the diffs lasted like 1year but now i have the new one and man all im haveing is stuff break all the time..

RC Qualifier
    Hrmm.. u rebuilding the diff or getting new ones.. just a thought but i bought some off ebay 20 dollars each was at buy it now there always there maybe buy a whole new set..
    No you cant drive it
    my RC is owner operated only

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by legoflyer View Post
    What diff fluid are you running?
    traxxas sed 30k so thats what i have run in it...

RC Racer
    yes i do beat it up but not like to bad snow mud rain thats just when i get it out.. i do have a mmm e-revo on 3s my diffs do not last maybe more then 2weeks and i just broke 2 diff spool's in the back... so does any one know what is up with the traxxas diffs????? or maybe y im brakeing them???

thx's

RC Racer
    most of the time i just go get the gear set at like hobby town

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by OnebadTMAXX3.3 View Post
    wow i have beat my summit like a redheaded step child(sorry to all red heads) and i can't even get a diff to blow up. I am also running twin 775's on lipo! I would check you diffs to see if they are assembled right. the shims i think they are called have to be the right way or you will blow them up constantly. A buddy of mine was diong this and that stopped the problem. If you look at the exploded view you can see in the diff they are the parts that fit on the spiders and slide into the slots on the diff cup.

yeah i have all of that right way..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Summitone View Post
    yes i do beat it up but not like to bad snow mud rain thats just when i get it out.. i do have a mmm e-revo on 3s my diffs do not last maybe more then 2weeks and i just broke 2 diff spool's in the back... so does any one know what is up with the traxxas diffs????? or maybe y im brakeing them???

thx's
    Your running spools in a 6s powered Revo?

By the way, rather than posting 4 times, all within 15 minutes of each other, try editing your previous post.
    Using while stupid may cause serious injury.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by AK SNO RIDER View Post
    Your running spools in a 6s powered Revo?

By the way, rather than posting 4 times, all within 15 minutes of each other, try editing your previous post.

yea but just in snow

RC Qualifier
    Shouldn't much matter that it's in snow. 6s is a lot of power to have a locked rear end. The tires need to be able to turn at different rates going that fast.

Saw your post in the EREVO section, and like the other guy suggested, there are some upgrade items. Limited, but still some available. I just went to the Hot Racing diff cups in both the front and rear of my REVO. Also upgraded to an aluminum rear case, and ceramic bearings in both diffs. Only have a handful of runs on the truck because it is down for the winter, but I haven't had a problem yet.
    Using while stupid may cause serious injury.

RC Racer
    This is an obvious question but I'll ask it anyway: Where is your slipper clutch set? Maybe you want to give up wheelies in favor of having a "fuse". Or are your slipper pads worn down?

This is way way way from left field, but is it possible to have the diff shift servos go weird? I've seen mine go back and forth like crazy when the electronics are going off, usually means I have to replace a servo, adjust the horn, or the TX signal is dropping out possibly(?). So if you had a crazy (or misadjusted for the servo saver) servo, would it keep shifting in and out---> kill the diff? Or a servo that is not going full travel to do the shift but only partial movement into lock?

I'm still relatively new but I'm learning to never lock diffs in high gear, and only lock the fronts when I really need them. Then the rears get locked in addition only rarely, like when I get stuck in mud or something.

I went to batteries that have a lot of kick to them, so I found myself gearing down to a 12T Pinion, which may help too.

I did buy a new spare diff from eBay. The center driveshaft pin sticking out does have a bit of axial play, but not the two sides. Is this normal?
    Last edited by H2Ohaze; 12-25-2010 at 08:43 AM.

It's normal to have some slop just a bit when they start to get worn,driving anything on 6s is gonna be hard on the driveline if it,s locked.On low traction surfaces it's ok but even then it can hook up and get traction.Keep a close eye on the front pinion bearings(in the diff's as they are prone to blowing up.They take alot of abuse shim the diff's and they will last way longer on brushless power.brushless spin up so fast then bang it gets traction and that force travels through the driveline till some thing gives.Thats what the slipper clutch is for.The link i posted will help the diff's live a longer more productive life until they make a metal diff that fits, shimming is the best you can do short of easing up on the throttle
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried