RC Qualifier

Question I need some help.

1) I need help deciding on a new set of tires and wheels. I want either RC4WD rock crushers or RC4WD roklocks. Which is the better all around tire? It looks like the rock crusher would have a longer life due to tread pattern but the rokloks look interesting as well. What are your experiences with either tire?

2) What rim or wheel works best and looks best with the above tires? I have 14mm, 17mm, and 23mm wheel adapters.

3) I have a set of new, unmounted 40 series mashers I bought for $20 off eBay, but dont have wheels to mount them on. My question is am i bale to mount them on traxxas wheels? The guy at the hobby store said NO but i have seen people on here do it. I would like to mount them on some stock summit wheels or some Traxxas Emaxx twin spoke wheels. If I can mount them on those wheels, what is needed to do so? any mods?
    SlashVXL-ERBE-Slash4x4PE-RustlerVXL-1/16SlashSW2

1) I'm running the crushers,they work well on the rock when dry,When wet the rock has to have some texture to climb steeper stuff.they did better than i expected in the bit of snow we got.they seem to clean the tread out pretty well i haven't had it in deep gooey mud as of yet.My best guess would be that the loc's look like a better overall tire, more side bite the crushers have little to none for side bite when mounted on the rims i running

2)i'm running the proline cheyenne bead loc's 23mm hex the only real problems i've had are keeping the beads fully seated had to use drops of glue.The tires are large so it puts a fair bit of pressure on the sidewalls when crawling.
    the axials are also popular or go all out and get crazy with some rc4wd aluminium cyclone bead locks only about $170 a set of 4
    3) Sorry got no knowelage on that one but modding will be required likely the rim would have to be adjusted
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    anybody else?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ebailey95 View Post
    anybody else?
    Question 3
    I don't think you can mount them.. 40 series are 3.5in and the canyon at are 3.7in inside dia...

RC Qualifier
    I have rock crusher 40 on the way since the only ones in stock . also Roc lok i felt alittle on the big side 8.5 :O
    Mud slinger seemed to be the choice for my area. but could not wait . also i wanted to have a tire stick out more so when i back up or come up to something the tire would get more exposure so, 8.2 i decided on . I was steered away from X-lock by a Crawler buddy.

as far as looks those special RC4wd billet rims for summit 17mm hex look great Part Number Z-W0042. but wow the Price (understandable with all the nice machine work)

i would probably ruin them on the rocks. I found some affordable Axial Oversized Narrow Rockster Beadlock Black. will see if they fit, but read they should. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTJG9

anyway if the planets align today I should have both in my grubby hands by the end of the day. ill let you know how that goes.

good luck on decision , its tough deciding what tire. probably most important thing too.

I am still noob on tires and wheels but I don't think those mashers will fit the stock summit wheels.
    Last edited by VonGearStripper; 12-21-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Hey von when you get the crushers it takes a couple runs to burn the manufacturing oils of the surface so don't panic.I was a bit worried for a bit.those arn't the real expensive ones.did you see these ones nice but ouch....
    http://store.rc4wd.com/Low-Boyz-Weig...eel_p_137.html
    Last edited by jamann; 12-21-2010 at 06:09 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Jamann. well the axial wheels came in . but the Tires I guess are still rollin here.
    appreciate the Tip on the Tire oil. Yea i would be bummed if they didn't grab like the stockers or the Red rock krawlers .
    But cant wait to see how big those things are. so far the wheels look big

Yea I saw those pendulum wheels. but my Crawler Friend said they don't work that well. something about when you tilt back , the weights do to, so actually cause you to flip back easier. He said the old fashion stick on weights work best. since they don't move so more predictable in a climb. He said even the BB's in the tiers have that moving effect, which he didn't like.
    But to me a noober, I liked the technology, pretty slick if you ask me. 300 dam, yup make the billet summit ones look like a deal , looks like allot of work to make, so from a machinist point of view its well worth what they are charging. even CNC , someone still had to take the time to work out the bugs in the Code to machine it.

Come on Mr Post man, bring those tires. I need to start putting all those screws in

RC Qualifier
    Will the Proline Tech 5 narrow wheels work with the rock crushers?

yes i wondered that, with the weight moving around kinda unpredictable i sorta know when the front will either settle or not.do not over tighten the 12 cabillion screws that are tiny.
    Be patiant. The rims won't look so big once the tires show up.they make the stockers look small.I used 1/4 round lead from the fishing dept wrapped it around the inside started and ended in the same spot so they balanced 2 full wraps worked out to 7oz each side taped it up tightly and good to go no problems so far big improvment helps offset the now higher COG and really helps the front hook up bettter climbing
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    do you know if the Proline Tech 5 narrow wheels will work with the rock crushers? They are cheap and i like the look

Will the Proline Tech 5 narrow wheels work with the rock crushers?
    Tech 5 3.8" (40 Series) Black Narrow (2.75" wide) Zero Offset 17mm Wheels

Outer Diameter: 8.26" (210mm)
    Width: 3.14" (80mm)
    Inner Diameter: 4" (101.6mm)
    Tire thread depth: .31" (8mm)

so in theory yes i ran 3.8 moab xl's on my Cheyennes which are are now running my crushers.from what i remember the axial rocksters are 2.16 wide and crushers go on there so can't see why not they are glue on rims though i think
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Yea Tech 5 cheapest but they are like stockers Simulated Bead-Loc Style

get out the glue Cmon Mr. Post Man

RC Qualifier
    I know they arent real beadlocks. I dont want real ones. I currently have some proline Cheyennes on my summit with some big joes and i just want something i can switch back and forth without having to go through 100's of screws just to switch tires.

RC Qualifier
    not to mention the beadlocks are HEAVY

RC poster
    1. I have 40 Series Rok Loks on the Cyclone beadlock wheels. I also have set of 40 series Rock Crushers as well but I have not used them yet. I have only had my summit for a couple months now and the only other wheel/tire setup I have run is the stock setup which really performs excellently overall to begin with. I will be sticking with my Rok Loks for the foreseeable future though. You have some trade-offs running bigger heavier tires on heavy beadlock wheels, such as a slightly higher CG which can flip you both on your side or head over heels if your climbing, but the payoff for me is that I can really just drive over almost anything and since I'm really shooting for the go-anywhere trail truck with some climb-ability it all balances out. A real world comparison was when my friend set his summit up on some dirt track race type tires with a million stubby needles sticking out all over them. Despite the ridiculous look of it, he was able to climb a specific section that was short but extremely steep where I kept going nose over tail despite the heavy wheels, it just wouldn't stay down in front. There were numerous other areas where I just rolled through that he couldn't get through on his much smaller wheels. He eventually went back to stock. I must say stock in my opinion is a slightly better true climbing setup than my Rok Loks.

2. I have only used the Cyclone beadlocks and the stock geode wheels. I prefer my cyclones for my purposes as stated above. The cyclone/rok lok setup also seems to be completely air tight so no water can get into them and create problems there. I haven't specifically tested this in water yet and I'm not going to do so anytime soon, but in the cold weather here they shrink right up quite a bit as the air inside them gets cold and condenses.

3. Not something I have any offhand knowledge about.

I'm not sure what you are specifically aiming to do with your summit but I hope this helps.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks! I still cannot decide between the two however. I know i want big wheels, which both are. I have two sets of smaller tires already. I just cant decide between the rokloks or crushers.. aaaaaaaahhh!

RC Qualifier
    What would be the best choice for just all around bashing? I drive on lots of street, dirt/ bark chips, grass, gravel, but i do little actual crawling on rocks.

The crushers roll good as the tread is not as aggresive as it seems, on smooth surfaces it behaves pretty good there is a fair bit of rubber in contact with the surface.if your not really off roading you could drop the suspension to the outer most holes on the carriers,With the larger tires still have good clearance, lower COG and less rolling and tumbling if you want to go faster
    Last edited by jamann; 12-22-2010 at 12:15 AM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    could i get some pics of your summit with the crushers?

could i get some pics of your summit with the crushers?
    original body

bronco body
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    ok great thanks! Now does anybody want to donate some 40 series rims? I am completely broke and just need some wheels to get my summit running.

RC Qualifier
    Dang Jamann That Monster looks Cool. Its funny last week I bought that same body I think. still in the Package, debating to run the Blower, I guess i will now . Glad to see it will fit . Summit looks Great.

well my rock crushers are here. but the Post office is closed , Rats . its going to be hard sleeping tonight.
    i'll be the first guy in line, in the morning.

Ebaily check local shops. I scored my Red Rocks cheap 40 bucks all mounted. also scored moab xl's 20 bucks mounted.
    alittle dirty and not the rims i wanted. but the summit don't care it just spins um just fine Used is good enough. and you get to try um for dirt cheap . Pardon the pun. anyway if you were closer you'd be rolling. Seems people with smaller trucks try the bigger wheels , then don't want them, and trade down at the hobby store for smaller units. perfect for us Summit guys . so keep your eyes peeled and don't be afraid or proud to ask the shops if they have used tires.
    Last edited by VonGearStripper; 12-22-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks it's the first one I've ever done getting the flares and cage to fit was pretty easy too.that surprised me.Take my word for it the cage for sure works and helps.If it wasn't for the cage I'd have been through at least 8 or 10 bodies where i run a cage is required not optional.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Hey the RC4wd Rock Crushers are sitting right here in front of me
    Dang , the box they sent it in , was bigger then the box the Summit came in. I was real worried , that the tires would be to big , LOL. I guess they ran out of box's at RC4wd. anyway i was pleased to see they were smaller then the box .

I just assembled one on the Axial the Rockster , fits no problem http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTJG9. the foam is the hard part. I think I should cut the foam in half . corners of tires have full support. probably not good for crawling with the huge factory foam stuffed in there. getting rim past foam was a small chore.

these things look great. looks like the tires on my generator ill have to decide on the foam, so i can assemble all these and try it out on the Summit. all these little screws take time. I think ill see if i can rig something on a power driver set at lowest torque to save some time here.

Jamann
    Yea that is pretty sharp how you modified the cage to fit that Bronco . OH yea you used the flares too from summit ? awesome.

Ill bet it saved bodies. I know it has saved my summit body a bunch of times already. Plus looks great on there.
    Yea the body i got was the only one at store that looked like it would help on rolling over . I wanted something that would roll over easier, My Friend has a Bug body on his crawler and i could see that helps allot . but no bugs here. so that Bronco had me sold. Now i can see it looks awesome thanks to You.

anyway i gotta get some free time to try painting this. I never painted in reverse, so that will be new. I normally airbrush my Heli conopies, but there fiberglass. so it normal painting. will see how it goes.

OK Rock Crushers Fit Rocksters no problem.
    Hope helps.

BTW they also fit Moab Xl's 40 as well. since i tried that last night .

RC Qualifier
    Wow, these tires are like a CAT with Claws . There is a certain staircase in my House, the summit could not climb. its a very short carpet , sort of worn too. anyway the Red Rocks did best, but could never get all the way up. also tried the Moab 's, and naturally the Summit tires. anyway i had to try with the Rock crushers . now i have full foam on the rears. and in the fronts I split one foam, and used it for the two. also wrapped two 1/4 oz lead sticks (great planes full package) on each rim. then wrapped with electrical tape. put the rims together. and had at it. going as slow as the summit could go. tweaking back and forth, switch front hubs on and off at various spots. I made it all the way up.

But Dang the ESC got pretty hot. about 132F . anyway i was amazed. also i had set the truck to the lowest setting on those angled tie rods. and also set it back to factory on shocks , since i have ground clearance with those monster tires. it sits like a big Cat ready to pounce. still running 4 orange springs. but i think it might work better with the yellows. I guess Traxxas had it right after all . I can see were the servos for steering kind of whimp out. so you have to thin ahead and turn while they are not so loaded. Turn to late and then wimp out.

so Far I like these Rock crushers. I think the best would be about 3/4 width foam. the half cut makes the edges too soft. at any rate it was experiment. and just think that is with only 13 cells LOL. since i killed that one cell :P

OH get some Comm Drop oil. my motor was kind of arching I put one drop of that stuff , and arches were gone.

the only bummer I got ripped off. one of the axial box's didn't have the screw bag. totally sucks. so cant put the wheels fully together.

also I notice the wheel nuts get loose fast. I had to tighten 3 times. yea not using locktite during test, but still amzed how fast they came loose. must have allot of torque building up . this is with 12/68 gearing titan motor still.
    Last edited by VonGearStripper; 12-24-2010 at 01:21 AM.