RC Enthusiast

Best drifting tires?

Hey guys!
    I recently ordered a set of drifting tires, wanted to try something other than stock, but they are this hard plastic which I am having trouble even getting onto the rim. I tired heating them up which help but still cant get the things on. Anyway I am looking for actual tire compound like the stock ones that are drifting tires. What do you all recommend or use? I was looking at some HPI's but there was just so many option wasn't sure what to do.
    Thanks for the help!

RC Qualifier
    You really got to heat the tire to get those on, you could also use a block of wood and a hammer.
    Are the tires supposta to blow off going into 2nd?

RC Enthusiast
    yea I tired heating them up and now they are like half stuck on . I cant get them all the way on or off. Is this what all drifting tires are?

RC Qualifier
    they are a pain i got the bfgoodwrench tires for my bbs wheels and i had a time getting them on i can only imagine what it takes to remove them
    Last edited by carraig042; 12-24-2010 at 10:26 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    wrong post

RC Enthusiast
    I really dont think you can remove them. What did you use to heat them up jato?

RC Qualifier
    i didnt, but on my jato 3.3 and emaxx i just stuck the tires in the oven for about 10 mins but you have to flip them after 5mins to seprate the glue from the tries and then they get pretty soft so i would try that

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I havent found an aftermarket rubber tire that is anything like the stock tire. The stock rally tire isnt plastic like most true drift tires, its a super hard rubber compound. Non of the rubber HPI tires are even close to that hard. For controlled drifting as well as some controllable driving, the stock tires are the best that ive found so far.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    For drifting I use HPI T-Drifts. Not that difficult to get on lol, maybe you guys lack muscle strength. easiest way to put on tires is put the tire flat on a hard table, place the rim ontop of the tire and smack it down. Or the best way is place it in a coffee cup filled with water, mic it for maybe 40 seconds. Carefully remove the tire and it should just slide right on with the method i provided. Id fear heat guns would melt the compound.
    99%er

RC Champion
    warm water might help
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Enthusiast
    Yea I was using a blow dryer, maybe the oven or water would be better Ill have to try that next.

Pavement, so Super hard rubber compound is what the stock are? So getting HPI super hard compound would work similar you think?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I boil them to remove the tires

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Im not sure even the HPI super hard rubber is as hard as the stock tires... Im not sure though. I bought the long wear (harder) compound HPI tires and they are WAY softer than the stockers. They make it very hard to drift the car, but make it handle WAY better when I actually want it to go where I point it. My plan is to buy a bunch of stock tires and mount them on aftermarket rims. the stock tires arent overly expensive and they seem to last fairly well. The HPI rubber im running wears very quickly when Im sliding the car around alot. It doesnt matter now anyway. Its winter here so the rally is on the shelf till the snow melts.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Enthusiast
    Ya i have no problem with the stock tires I like them, just thought it would be fun to try some different ones. But maybe ill just stick with them and then get something grippy for high speeds.

RC Racer
    Those t-drift tires (hpi or the cheaper china ones) are the best drift tires.
    If you know how to put them on, then it's real easy.

What I do is this:
    First take the wheels and put them in the freezer for about half an hour or so (you can also lay them outside in the snow, that goes faster).
    In the meanwhile, boil some water and put the boiled water in a bowl.
    Put al your drift tires in the water and let them heat up for a few minutes.

Now, if you have tires with a special direction to be mounted, pay attention to this.
    Go to your freezer (or outside), take one of the wheels. Rush to your bowl with heated tires. Take one of the tires out and lay it down on a flat and hard surface. Quickly press the still cold wheel into the tire. Make sure it's seated right, you only have about 10 seconds to do this properly, or it will get stuck half way.

Repeat this with the other tires and wheels. Just make sure you do them one by one and that the water is hot enough, the rim cold enough. You will be amazed at how easy this works.

If you do it like this, you should have them on in no-time.
    When it does go wrong and you have a tire that's stuck half way, try to get the tire of the rim as far as possible.
    For the last bit, put the wheel and tire in the boiled water again. Try to avoid that the wheel makes contact with the water, only the tire should be heated. Leave it there for a few seconds, take out the wheel and quickly pull of the tire. Repeat if it doesn't work right away. Eventually you should be able to pull it of.

Oh, in case you didn't know, here's were you can get some very cheap wheels and tires.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by PIR3lly; 12-27-2010 at 03:49 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Pir3lly very helpful info. And ya that is where i got my last rims/tires from. Now the challenge if I can get them off the rim or if i should just start fresh. They are really stuck on there.