RC Competitor

Build plans for the Rally VXL

I have an old Porsche GT1 race car body that I removed from a ten year old r-shack model. Not hobby grade at all, but the body is very realistic, and besides the minor scratches i applied during my childhood, it looks great. I was hoping that with some simple searching, i could find a good model out there today that i might be able to slap the body on. Well, the rally vxl seems to perfectly fit with the wheelbase and width measurements the porsche body has. Obviously drilling holes for body mounts will be a necessity along with other minor modifications.

That being said, my only concern is how things will work in the end. I am planning little to no major changes to the Rally, aside from removing the front foam and getting body posts to the correct height for the new application. However, I have seen the rally videos, and read reviews for some time now. One of the main reasons that I did not purchase a rally vxl just for the rally car, was that i did not want a poor handling car ( I know it is supposed to drift and all).

What can be done to make for more stability with the Rally vxl? Also, has anyone tried the Traxxas soft compound tires? My assumptions is that the tires are going to be the main thing to change.

I have a MERV and love it, so I really think if things work out for this build then it will be a lot of fun. I just don't want to drop 300 if it might be a let down.

RC Competitor
    Also, what are the dimensions of the stock tires? Mainly the overall diameter

RC Qualifier
    I have Hpi belted tires and they work great for overall traction.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...tern&search=Go
    You can also change the transmitter to be more sensitive with minor steering corrections. (expo steering) Its really cool IMO and makes it much easier to control at high speeds. The best thing you can do to improve stability is to find a CLEAN area to run it because every little pebble pitches it around a lot.
    Are the tires supposta to blow off going into 2nd?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Honetly, the rally is a built and meant to be a drift car. If thats not what you want, maybe look elsewhere. You cant change the purpose of the car because its not what you want. With that said, you CAN alter the car to make it perform more like what you want. The rally benefits big time from a stickier set of tires. Any 26mm touring car wheel and tire will work. It will really change the car. But remember, if you get it and its not what you want... its not the cars fault. It is what it is. Trying to change it for your own wants is your own risk.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Honetly, the rally is a built and meant to be a drift car. If thats not what you want, maybe look elsewhere. You cant change the purpose of the car because its not what you want. With that said, you CAN alter the car to make it perform more like what you want. The rally benefits big time from a stickier set of tires. Any 26mm touring car wheel and tire will work. It will really change the car. But remember, if you get it and its not what you want... its not the cars fault. It is what it is. Trying to change it for your own wants is your own risk.
    I understand what you mean, but i just figured that to a certain degree the car could be modified. Since it is so similar to the MERV and other 1/16 vxl models, i figured the main thing Traxxas has done was the hard compound tires. I have seen some videos online where the car just does endless drifts, and some where the car annihilates the track. But, there is rarely ever tire notes, so who knows what tires it was running. If stickier tires make a difference, then I think that i should be good to go.

That being said, what will it take to remove the front foam bumper? I know the body posts are above it, but can it be removed and still keep the body mounts in place? The porsche body i am planning on using will probably not have room to fit the bumper inside of it.

P.S. I plan to have a few pictures of the body up in a few days time.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    For sure... I understand what your saying. And I agree... I just think when you say "I dont want a poor handling car" its important to understand that this car handles very well... for its intended purpose. You want a "different" handling car. Look for HPI 26mm touring car wheels and a set of their stickier tires. Their pro compound i think it pretty sticky.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ