RC poster

Essential things to do right out of the box- Stampede 4x4 vxl

Santa is bringing my son a Pede VxL 4x4. I wondered what are the must do things before we charge up a battery and let it rip?

Any of these?
    - Thread lock (blue) the wheels?
    - Set the slipper?
    - How to set it to training mode?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks...

RC Qualifier
    Busselton, Western Australia... but where in Busselton... that's what we do not know...
    I'm not sure about the first two, but setting to training mode if he's a beginner is a must.

Selecting Training Mode (Profile #3: 50% Forward, 100% Brakes, 50% Reverse)
    1. Connect a fully charged battery pack to the
    VXL-3s and turn on your transmitter.
    2. With the VXL-3s off, press and hold the
    EZ-Set button until the LED turns solid green,
    then solid red and then begins blinking red
    (indicating the Profile numbers).
    3. When the LED blinks red three times, release
    the EZ-Set button.
    4. The LED will blink and then turn solid green
    (Low-Voltage Detection ON) or red (Low-
    Voltage Detection OFF). The model is ready to drive.

Note: If you missed the mode you wanted, keep the EZ-Set button pressed
    down and the blink cycle will repeat until the button is released and a Mode
    is selected.

It's really a simple process. Hope this helps. These intructions are also in the Owner's Manual that comes with the truck.

Good luck, hope your son enjoys it!
    Can you break a Rusty?
    Umm...No...No, you can't.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The wheel nuts are nylocks so you dont need thread locker. It's probably not a bad idea to double check the slipper setting (about a quarter turn out from full tight) and check the gear mesh. These are things you won't want to have to worry about on Christmas day.
    The biggest upgrade I'd suggest you do as an upgrade would be a better bumper. The stock one is better than nothing, but a larger RPM slash 4x4 bumper would protect the front end WAY better.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Competitor
    the bumper that is stock is to small a must to upgrade th a slash 4x4 ck ebay i got mine of it
    stampede vxl 4x4
    slash 4x4
    summit

RC poster
    Thanks for the responses guys. Much appreciated!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Busselton, Western Australia... but where in Busselton... that's what we do not know...
    No probs! Anything else?
    Can you break a Rusty?

RC Racer
    does the slash bumper fit without mods??
    Last edited by P'noRcer; 12-22-2010 at 11:19 PM.

RC poster
    My son is getting one for Xmas too. I charged up the battery, set training mode, and did a quick test drive to be safe. My son is quite young and I found it a little fast still. So bought a 6 cell 5000Mah battery pack to slow it down a little more while he learns

RC Qualifier
    how old is your son DerekFa? Curious as to what age are people buying these for their kids?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekFa View Post
    My son is getting one for Xmas too. I charged up the battery, set training mode, and did a quick test drive to be safe. My son is quite young and I found it a little fast still. So bought a 6 cell 5000Mah battery pack to slow it down a little more while he learns
    Another idea, put it on training mode.
    Can you break a Rusty?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    t's probably not a bad idea to double check the slipper setting (about a quarter turn out from full tight) and check the gear mesh. These are things you won't want to have to worry about on Christmas day.
    Could you explain how to do these things? Thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The manual explains how to do both of these things. It would be a long explanation for me.

The RPM slash bumper fits without any mods... very easy to bolt up. If training mode is not slow enough a 6cell nimh is a great idea. Just be aware that a 6cell nimh may not be able to handle the draw of this system when you take training mode off... so you may have to stop using that battery. Another way to limit speeds is to put in a smaller pinion. Thats also likely cheaper than buying a 6cell battery. Going to a 9t pinion (available on e-bay) would bring speeds down a bit.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Nissanguy8 View Post
    how old is your son DerekFa? Curious as to what age are people buying these for their kids?
    My son is only 5, which is why I wanted it in both training mode and the 6 cell. I didn't want to do the pinion gear or other mods as I would like to be able to quickly turn it into "daddy's turn mode" I know 5 is a little young... But he talks non-stop about being a monster truck driver when he grows up and I couldn't stomach buying him a crap toy R/C that wouldn't be able to do the things he wants to do.

I know 5 is a little young...
    You might be surprised. We built a track in a neighbors back yard and his 6 yr old son could hang right there with anyone on the track and school some adults when it came to turning a fast lap.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    those adults must be beginners!!!

RC poster
    Anything else to do "out of the box"?

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Haven't heard of anyone blowing the center bearing in the pede 4x like happens in the slash4x, but I replaced the traxxas one (after it failed immediately) with a wheel bearing from my hpi e-savage and it lasted an entire race season + bashing with no problems. If that bearing goes, it can take the center slipper bearing holder with it. When you both are out of training mode, and start beating the snot out of it (it is inevitable), it may be a good idea to have a replacement just in case.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Racer
    how about the "electrical tape driveshaft boot" mod??
    Drive it, Break it, Fix it, Love it, Repeat

RC Competitor
    about the 5y old son...

my son is driving Rc's since he's 2y, his first car was a losi miniT, within 2 weeks i needed to put a faster motor in it because it ws already to slow for him(!), a lipo upgrade followed soon...

long story short : he's 5y old now and he has a drifting car, a onroad car, wheely king converted to crawler, a hopped up miniT, another AWD buggy and a Rustler and a Summit and if i'm not carefull when we are racing together he let's me eat his dust !(and i'm not exactly a Rc car noob you know)

so i'm thinking that that batery will be changed pretty fast to the 7 cell and the same counts for the training mode ;-)

just my 2 cents...

RC poster
    I think the 5 year old kid should get his own thread!!!

RC poster
    He had his first run and we had an inch of snow overnight. I think he is hooked!!

RC Champion
    lol, thats great!!
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Competitor
    Out of the box, and bashing pretty hard, I did the following:
    50weight fluid in all shocks
    Lowered the body with superglue/epoxy mod
    30k diff fluid in rear
    And, to me this is VITAL, adjust the slipper immediately if you even remotely expect a wheelie. My slipper was set from the factory a full 3/4 turn from full tight! I adjusted it to 1/4...not wheelies. Then, I adjusted it to 1/8 and it wheelies pretty well on high traction surfaces, and still provides go overall traction. I can hear it slipping and working from time to time, so I know that this is not too tight and it still is doing it's job fine.

Soon, I intend on improving my setup:
    50k weight in rear
    60weight oil in rear shocks to prevent what I call "donkey kicking" occasionally on certain jumps.

I expect this to be pretty ideal for the BMX truck I run and the local racetrack. It get's so dusty during the Summer, I might need to go even higher with the diff fluid, but that should work for the Winter/Spring.
    Stampede 4x4, Blade MSR & MCX, Micro Rock Crawler

RC Racer
    I have adjusted my slipper clutch as I broke my axel possibly due to the wheelies! Adjusted it about 1/4 and it will pop wheelies in high traction on occasion but launches like a jet Its nice to get grip on all 4 tires rather than the wheely in my opinion!