Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Test Drive....My verdict (if anyone cares)

Ok,First off I have been a strictly Nitro off road guy for 20 years. But, after hearing all you people raving on and on about this brushles phenom I decided to get a Rally. I opened the box today and could not belive how small this thing is. Its tiny. I bought an additional traxxas battery and a series connector. Waited like 2 1/2 hours for them both to charge and swapped out to the larger included pinion gear as per Traxxas recomendations when running two batteries in series. I know this car is designed as kind of a drifter but It was uncontrollable at high speeds. After easing into the throttle til about mid range If i mashed it the rest of the way the car would just do countless 360's until you back off the throttle. If it hit even a crack in the driveway it would bounce up in the air and land sideways and roll over. Frustrating. I did manage to do a couple of controlled drifts which were somewhat fun but overall the experience left me craving my revo. After about 12 minutes the speed began to dwindle and was left thinking ..thats it? Now I know you guys are gonna say get Lipo batteries blah blah blah but it was virtually uncontrollable with the nimh batteries so whats the point? Anyway, gotta say, overall not that impressed. And Im a die hard traxxas guy, but i think i will stick to nitro off road. I actually cant even believe anyone would prefer this, but, thats just my 2 cents.

RC Qualifier
    Busselton, Western Australia... but where in Busselton... that's what we do not know...
    Maybe you should try getting a brushless offroad truck. The problems you seemed to be left with mostly involve the road-basedness of the rally.
    Can you break a Rusty?
    Umm...No...No, you can't.

RC Enthusiast
    I am actually loving my Rally. I have a MERV as well and they love to play together. The Rally handles much differently but it makes you a much better driver IMHO. Just putting some cones in the street and bashing around is a ton of fun. I love going down the street fast, pulling a 900 and driving out of it straight. Hope your experience gets better with this fun little car. I also have two Slash 4X4's and an E Revo Brushless. The Rally is the most fun in front of my house without wheelies!

RC Qualifier
    Busselton, Western Australia... but where in Busselton... that's what we do not know...
    Quote Originally Posted by dmigod View Post
    I am actually loving my Rally. I have a MERV as well and they love to play together. The Rally handles much differently but it makes you a much better driver IMHO. Just putting some cones in the street and bashing around is a ton of fun. I love going down the street fast, pulling a 900 and driving out of it straight. Hope your experience gets better with this fun little car. I also have two Slash 4X4's and an E Revo Brushless. The Rally is the most fun in front of my house without wheelies!
    ^^^^^
    This is exactly why I have added this to my list (of 3) that I want to consider..... I love spinning and then pulling out perfectly.
    I'd love to get a Rally, and a Slash 4x4... the road infront of my house is nice and smooth and there's no cracks.
    Can you break a Rusty?

RC Racer
    I think the car would still drift nicely with softer tires, but be more controllable when you want to drive straight. i gotta say that this whole waiting for batteries to charge kinda sux.

RC Qualifier
    Get a few packs good packs, then, while you're driving, the packs are charging near-by, and when you finish, you can swap them over. (never have them out of sight as if something happens, you wanna know.....).
    Can you break a Rusty?

Quote Originally Posted by BillKoko View Post
    I think the car would still drift nicely with softer tires, but be more controllable when you want to drive straight. i gotta say that this whole waiting for batteries to charge kinda sux.
    If you are using the charger that came with the car I can fully understand that. Most electric RC guys invest in a better charger and a few batteries so you can continue running while your other packs are charging.

Has to the tires, I dont htink I have ever bought any RC car or truck and stuck with the stock tires, that is usually one of the first things I change, I would think that is the same with your nitro off road trucks too is it not?
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    From what I'm reading, your expectations of what the rally is for or what it will do were not accurate. The rally IS fast and is very very capable of super high speeds, but that's not what it's really meant for. The rally is designed for controlled and technical driving and drifting. Try taking out one of the batteries, setting up some cones and learning to DRiVE the car as opposed to just hold it wide open. Saying your rallys performance or handling made you want to go get your revo simply proves you should not have bought a rally and I agree, if a large nitro 4x4 off road truck is what you were looking for, getting one of those will certainly better meet your expectations.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    the 1/16 revo & slash are hard to control at full speed so it's not just the rally. but once you get the speed runs out of your system it will be fine.
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post

Has to the tires, I dont htink I have ever bought any RC car or truck and stuck with the stock tires, that is usually one of the first things I change, I would think that is the same with your nitro off road trucks too is it not?
    ya I agree, but I cant find tires for this. I dunno, Im not giving up yet. I knew that a Rally would not be as versatile (sp) as the revo, but it just seems really limited. I was a long time Jato owner and that was pretty much limited to on road but something about the smell and sound of the nitro combined with wheelies and the ability to change wheels and tires and everything just made that thing fun. Maybe when some wheel and tire options come out, and some bodies I will iike it more. Or a 1/10 or 1/8 scale nitro version? That would be awesome.

RC poster
    Don't start trying to hit 50 mph...mess around with a single battery/standard pinion first. Get the feel for the car (the design is kind of a hybrid between on road/drift). You can get crazy drifts, but you can also go relatively fast in a straight line. Learning to control this car WILL make you a better driver.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I haven't tested the rally yet, but I would say any 1/16 vehicle will be almost impossible to control runing batt in series.

RC Racer
    OK, Quick update. I went back out running a single battery and switched the pinion back. I gotta say i had a lot more fun. Plus there was a veryy light snow on the road in some spots. I am oredering two 2S 2200mah lipos right now. I am going to run those paralell. Im hoping that the run time is significantly longer and that the speed is fast but not silly like the two nimh in series. Also can someone tell me what size wheel and tire I should be looking for on ebay.

RC Racer
    HPI 26mm wheels with a 0mm or 3mm offset. As for tires, anything you think looks cool that fits a wheel of that size.

RC poster
    With those 2200 mah lipos in parallel you should see between 30-40 minutes. SPC (spcracing.com) has 2300 mah lipos w/traxxas connector for 20.95 with big wire upgrade (15.95 without). That would give you a little more run time...and you can't beat the price.

Any brand wheel that is 26mm with a 12mm hex and between 0 and 3 offset will work. Lots of companies make them and any tire designed for a 26mm touring car wheel will work. With that said, the car will be much harder to drift with softer, stickier tires. After trying many different tires, I actually prefer the stock tires because they allow the car to be drifted.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Thanks for your help. The SPC lipos are ordered and I'm off to ebay to get some wheels and tires. Thanks Again.

RC Qualifier
    First of all, the car is designed to be exactly that, a drift car. Which means its short wheelbase is supposed to be somewhat unstable to allow it to whip the rear end around in a drift, you can fix this by getting road tires that will actually have some traction, I have some HPI tires and they grip very nicely compared to stock, the other thing you can do is tune your transmitter to the full capabilities of the exponential steering, this makes it easier to control at high speeds so you dont do 360's every time you tap the steering wheel. However, if you like drifting, get some purpose-designed drift tires, they are very fun with a few hours of practice.

hope this helped a bit.
    Are the tires supposta to blow off going into 2nd?

RC Qualifier
    my 3s 1500 mah packs in paralell (3000mah total) give me about 45min of solid runtime, with two of those 2s 2200mah you'll be running for over an hour for sure.

RC Champion
    does it have a 12mm or 14mm hex like the revo and slash. just had a look and it is the same as the revo/slash
    Last edited by turok; 12-23-2010 at 10:34 AM.

RC Qualifier
    yep, 12mm same as all the mini's

RC Champion
    the hex is 12mm and 14mm lol. all depends which way it is measured. strange thing is the wheels from a slash 4x4 are a direct fit. but some say that wheel has a 14mm hex.

Nope, all 1/16 and 1/10 traxxas vehicles (true 1/10... not like the REVO 1/10 thats really a 1/8) have a 12mm hex. I belive the slayer has a 14mm hex though.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Well, i think what matters is that the rally hex is 12mm and we all agree on that.

Sure do. Theres a thread with lots and lots of pics of aftermarket wheels and tires. I think its still on page one here in the rally forum. Lots of guys have posted up about what wheels and tires do and dont work.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    I have been getting 30+min from 1 spc 2300 2s. turok, measure from flat to flat on the wheel hex.
    I notice that the ken block comes with different tires. I wonder if they are a slightly softer/harder compound? I would really like a slightly softer rear tire. Anyone try traction compound or simple green on the tires?
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Competitor
    I have been getting 30+min from 1 spc 2300 2s. t
    So, this fits fine then I assume? What about two of these in parallel? I would assume about an hour run time? Can you just buy the parallel connector by Traxxas for hookup? thanks!

RC Racer
    Picked up new wheels and tires today. What a difference. Now that it has traction this little thing screams. I'm talking night and day difference. It still get loose in the back end if you force it but is as steady as can be at high speeds. I switched the pinion back again and ran two nimh in series. Awesome time. So much better than that drifting nonsense. IMO Trust me when I tell you that you will not believe what this little bugger is capable of with traction. It's bordering on ridiculous. Anyway, cant wait for the LIPO packs to get here on monday because 10 minutes of run time just aint cuttin it.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by BillKoko View Post
    Picked up new wheels and tires today. What a difference. Now that it has traction this little thing screams. I'm talking night and day difference. It still get loose in the back end if you force it but is as steady as can be at high speeds. I switched the pinion back again and ran two nimh in series. Awesome time. So much better than that drifting nonsense. IMO Trust me when I tell you that you will not believe what this little bugger is capable of with traction. It's bordering on ridiculous. Anyway, cant wait for the LIPO packs to get here on monday because 10 minutes of run time just aint cuttin it.
    What wheels and tires did you get? From where?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Mine is on the mail can wait to run it..quick question can you dye the stock white wheels?

RC Racer
    Hpi 5 star 26mm wheels and and Hpi soft compound x pattern tires. Got them from my LHS they are touring wheels and tires. The whole package was just undeer 30 bucks and changes my whole opinion of this car. If you search ebay "26mm wheels" and "26mm tires" there are tons of options. Mine are a 1 offset and they fit like factory.

RC Racer
    Forgot to mention the tires are the sport compound. On the softer side but like I said amazing hook up. As for dye on the stock wheels I would say that you can definitely dye them but good luck getting the tires off without destroying the wheels. Touring car wheels are only like 10 or 12 bucks for all four so you are probably much better off getting new ones then going through the hassle of dying the stockers.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    BillKoKo will you post some pics !!!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-Fan View Post
    BillKoKo will you post some pics !!!!
    When I can I will but busy next couple days.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by jucs View Post
    So, this fits fine then I assume? What about two of these in parallel? I would assume about an hour run time? Can you just buy the parallel connector by Traxxas for hookup? thanks!
    Does the SPC 2300 2s fit without modification? Do two fit? Thanks.

Yes, the spc batteries all fit with no modifications. And one will fit in each side so you can fit 2 in at a time, though it will handle better with just one in at a time.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    Why do you think it will handle better with just one battery? Just curious because I would think balanced weight would be better

RC Champion
    Well, one battery would reduce the weight and lower the CG a weeee bit, but I would think having the weight evenly spread left to right on the car would be better for handling even if you gained a little mass.
    Aw, Biscuits!

The car is balanced with a single pack. Its designed to use one pack and the extra weight on the chassis is offset to one side to compensate for a single pack. I thought that 2 packs would be better balanced also but when i took the 2nd one out the car did handle better and more consistently in left and rit turns.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    WHich side was the pack on when it was better balanced?
    Aw, Biscuits!