RC poster

Talking Revo Brushless 1/10 or 1/16 ???

Hi folks

I'm hoping to get some real-life feeback from someone who has experienced both the revo and revo mini to determine which I should buy!

The standard 1/10 seems like a beauty and beast rolled into one which will eat terrain and own the road... however, will it drain batteries faster? Does it have less acceleration? Does the extra weight make stunts more difficult and a bit cumbersome?

The 1/16 seems like a sweet little devil - zipping around and doesnt seem to struggle with grass and moderate terrain, however I've heard that it bottoms out easily and struggles on more than a bit of mud or terrain

Anyone used both extensively? Which is really the best choice to buy as a first 'serious' RC ?

many many thanks!!

RC Competitor
    I have both and I think you will like the 1/10th scale alot better. I hardly play with my mini revo. I will admit that a change is sometimes fun but with the mini, you are limited on what you can do and where you can go. The mini doesn't do well in tall grass or snow or mud or sand.

RC poster
    Thx, thats exactly what I was afraid of with the mini .. whilst there are a good few videos on youtube of it zipping around on some terrain, jumping over little hills etc but I know they can be biased and not show up the flaws so easily!

So the 1/10 is versatile and agile? how about battery performance pros and cons? Also what would you say is a fair market price? Thx

RC Champion
    i have had both at 1 time but now only have the 1:10 scale ;D the mini can not come close to the full size! the only thing the mini has is cheaper parts and can be changed to more different types of cars. ( can turn a mini revo into a summit, slash or the rally car with ez)

edit: you can convert the full size too..its just more pricey to do it X(
    Last edited by Foxprogt; 12-22-2010 at 02:45 PM.
    E-Revo MMM-2200 6s

RC poster
    Ahhh yet more confirmation ... price isnt really the thing.. it was this inner voice inside me saying the mini has something '*****' about it, and for some reason looked to accelerate more than the standard, but what I'm getting from your comments is that the standard, despite its larger size and weight is actually more better in every important consideration?!

Many Thx

RC poster
    Also any idea of fair market price for Revo 1/10 ? Thx

Hit the Web & see what pops up. Also stick with the 1/10. The 1/16 is fun but not that fun.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    You can get more run time with the 1/10th revo. Of course it costs a lot more. I have a pair of 5000mah 4s packs I ran in parallel that let me run it for about 50 to 60 minutes depending on how I was driving...of course they were a very tight fit but I could get them in .

I currently have four 5800mah 3s packs I run in series and I can go for about 30 to 35 minutes on each set.

I had the largest lipos I could get at a decent price for my mini revo (1600mah 3s packs in parallel) and it would run for about 20-25 minutes on them.

Hope that helps.

ps-If you only get one, get the 1/10th revo. The mini is fun and insanely fast for something that small but as others said, limited.

RC Racer
    I'm more into rough terrain, so if I were going 1/16 I'd start with the Mini Summit. Not speaking from experience, but like others have said the 1/16 platform has many stock builds so keep your eyes open for other options if you decide to go small.

RC Champion
    I have both....
    The Mini is kinda fun to impress people with and to play with ofcourse..
    because og its speed and robustness and lightness at the same time... and its okay to pack when you
    wanna travel light..

But you always want the 1/10 ... the mini cant go through a lot and is a road thing no matter what off road movies you see..
    of course its a lot more off road than all the toystore RC cars,, but to be like the 1/10 th... never .... it was not intended to be...
    Slightly Addicted

RC Racer
    Re: mwi's post as well as mine, has anyone tried taking the mini Summit through rougher terrain to see how it handles? Once they announced that it basically killed my interest in the MERV.

RC poster
    +1 for the 1/10 revo. I have (2) 2s 5000Mah and (2) 3s 5000Mah. Great for all combos. Series connector from ESC And I simply choose 4s, 5s, or 6s whatever I am in the mood for. Power is great and run times are very good. I have both 1/16 (rpm and integy'd out) and 1/10th. The big one is the way to go, or both if you can afford it. BTW, also running (2) ***** 1500 3s in the mini.

RC Qualifier
    The only reason I can see buying a mini revo over the big one is if you couldn't afford the initial cost or the parts to keep it running. If thats not an issue, the 1/10 is leaps and bounds better at everything than the 1/16, especially the brushless edition. A good middle point (not quite as much as the e revo but very versatile, and not too expensive) would be the Stampede 4x4.
    Last edited by VGP12; 12-22-2010 at 07:35 PM.

RC poster
    Thanks all for your feedback - you've confirmed all thoughts i've had on both models!

RC Racer
    Like everyone else said , go with the 1/10th , i have both and to be honest my mini pretty much just sits on the shelf because its to limited other then doing some really super fast street runs , most of the time though i just grab the big dog so i can do anything i want
    RC's are an addiction and i dont want help :D

RC poster
    All advice and feedback taken and I've gone out and got the brushless big dog as you called him ;-) Silver... cant wait to get outside and rip!

Thanks all!

RC Racer
    NICE you wont be disapointed !

RC Champion
    what did you get for batteries?

RC Champion
    Congratulations on that one....best choice all over all the monster trucks ... it rules
    Slightly Addicted

RC Champion
    make sure your wheel nuts are tight and use some blue loctite on them. The first thing I did when I got my truck was nearly strip out the hex in one wheel because a nut came loose on me.

RC Racer
    if you run 6s Lipos...you will be rewarded with the worlds most insane production RC truck. On 6s, when you give it anything over 2/3rds throttle, the tires balloon adding a higher final drive ratio that makes the ERBE a handfull. driving mine on 6s puts a smile on my face every time. You don have to hammer the throttle every time...but it is fun knowing what happens when you do!

RC Racer
    just a real small pic of the kids

RC Qualifier
    Well, I'll be!
    And there he goes with the carbon...

RC Qualifier
    I like the 1 16 e-revo its qick and fast.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by e-revo View Post
    I like the 1 16 e-revo its qick and fast.
    yeah, but the 1/10 erevo is quicker and faster
    -ERBE
    -Slash 4x4

RC Competitor
    The 1/10 and 1/16 are both awesome rc's in my opinion, it all depends on what you want from it. But from my experience, if I could go back in time I'd buy a 1/10 first because by the time you've spent money upgrading the 1/16, you could've bought a 1/10. I bought a 1/16 Summit about a year ago, it was my first proper rc after being out of the hobby for a good few years. I couldn't believe the performance of it for the size of it. The 1/16 is easier to cart about with you.