RC poster

Replacing AM Radio with Spektrum DX3S 3CH?

I was wondering if anyone had any luck replacing their RX TX with 3CH DX3S DSM? If so how did you do it and what functions did you lose? Also what buttons do you use on the TX to make the diffs and high/low gear switch?

Also, what are the must do mods for a stock Summit? What are the best tire/wheel combo for 1/2 bashing 1/2 crawling? I plan on doing Dewalt 14.4 motor soon.

Any info or links would be greatly appreciated. I just picked up a used summit 27mhz and want to ditch the radio because of its glitchyness. I am new to the forums and not too savy with the search function yet, but I have tried to read as much as I can in this forum.

RC Qualifier
    Hi.I suppose you could use the T lock and do a manual gear change(But that sucks,I used a 2ch 2.4ghz lo$i for a while) Traxxas do a power up system,you send in the 27mhz + some money,you get a 4/5 ch 2.4ghz for 1/2 price(roughly) I did it,swapped for a 4ch 2.4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would checkout the manual the for 2.4ghz summit, should help you with regards the new wiring for the T-lock and stuff:

http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...mmit-downloads

With a 3 channel radio though, you will lose alot of functionality unless you keep the T-lock, so if the am radio was 3 channel too, I would keep the wiring the same with your new radio- ust use a servo Y-lead if you need to create 2 steering slots on the rx for both steering servos.

Should also be plenty of info in the summit FAQ which is located at the top of the forum:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Summit-F.-A.-Q.

This thread should help alot too:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-conversion-(-)
    Last edited by ArmyofDarkness; 12-22-2010 at 03:47 PM.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Champion
    The dx3S is doable but the dx3R with its 3 position 3rd channel is much better. With the dx3s you will need to wires both diffs together with a y-splitter cable. Then wire that with another y splitter cable to the low gear. That way when you engage the diffs on the 3rd channel both diffs will lock and the truck will also shift into low gear at the same time. With the dx3r you will still lock both diffs at the same time but you can choose wether or not to go into low gear with the 3 position 3rd channel. As far as the button used on the tx for the 3rd channel the programming will allow you to choose which button you like. I chose the small toggle switch wich was the easiest to access (on top).

spektrum dx3r can controll hi-low shifting and t locks
    it took me near an hour to figure out the settings on the radio but I wantes four channel control out of my 3 channel radio. I had a dx3s and with the t-lock module in the receiver box i could have the aux channel switch both diff locks on/off or by mixing front on/rear off or vice vera, but to have the tranny shift properly I would need to have both diffs locked and the trranny in low, or both diffs open and the tranny in high. But with the dx3r the aux channel has 3 positions so with the the channel mix setting and a y harness tethering both diff locks into slot B of the T lock module in the receiver box I can set up ch 3 high to have open diffs/high gear, ch 3 middle to have open diffs/low gear and ch 3 low to have both diffs locked/low gear. the radio takes some getting used to, it has more setting than your car needs, but this 3 position 3rd channel is SWEEEEEET, but I still miss the throttle punch feature of the dx3s, now I just need to buy a y connector

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...light=spektrum
    Last edited by noir 522; 12-22-2010 at 06:11 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC poster
    Thanks for the detailed response. So I will not be using the module that comes with the AM summit and all I need is 2 y-splitter cables?

RC Qualifier
    I have the DX3S in my ERBE than was converted into a summit.. I am about to shelf the transmitter and buy the traxxas one. I just used it cause it was what I had. But it looks cool, and all but really is just overpriced and it you get into water the speed sensor is going to be shot. Having temp is nice but there are cheaper ways to achieve that.
    No you cant drive it
    my RC is owner operated only

RC poster
    I really like the DX3S (I own one already) and I dont plan on using telemtry function with the summit, I am going to just put a plain 3CH RX in it. I really dont want to spend the extra $ to buy a traxxas 2.4 rx/tx because imo they have limited functions and and you have to have a book in front of you to program them. Spektrum stuff may be overpriced but DSM/DSM2 technology is the best out there. I will give it a try and if I am not happy with then its time to track down a traxxas. Thanks again guys, I will update the thread once I get it all going.

RC Champion
    you may be a bit dissapointed with the range. In my opinion it kinda hit and miss. Much depends on how straight the receiving antannae is. My summit drives slow so a short range is no biggie. But I zoom the entire football field in my erevo and at 60 yards I was losing signal. Most suggest drilling a whole in the top of the rx box and thread the anntennae stright up as opposed to the curving path the traxxas rx box naturaly provides for it
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE