Thread: Tekin T8's

RC Racer

Tekin T8's

Question. how can i tell what would be the best T8 motor for my summit?
    all these different kv's confuse the **** outa me
    SnowTiger Summit, Dewalt 14.4 Nimh
    Burlington, ON

RC Qualifier
    something around 1800KV seems to be best in the summit generally
    SlashVXL-ERBE-Slash4x4PE-RustlerVXL-1/16SlashSW2

RC Qualifier
    Make sure you choose the 4038 motor. KV depends on the # of lipo cells you plan to run. 2250 or 2000kv for 4s, 2000 or 1700kv for 5s, 1700 or 1400kv for 6s.

RC Qualifier
    I have the 2000 on 4s. Great slow speed and I have it geared for speed. Excellent system. Tons of fun.

RC Racer
    honestly im not sure 4's or 6's

I want best of both worlds
    awesome speeds and torque crazy slow crawling

please recommend a T8 motor and Lipo cells
    Burlington, ON

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by adamfilip View Post
    Question. how can i tell what would be the best T8 motor for my summit?
    all these different kv's confuse the **** outa me
    wow "he ll" is sensored lol
    Burlington, ON

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Im guessing using the search button was too much effort- there are zillions of threads on lipos and plenty of threads on tekin systems and motor kv choices.

You wont be able to get a 'best of both worlds' setup very easily, not with the same batts or motor- crazy speed requires a high-ish kv rating and 6 lipo really, crazy torque requires a lower kv rating and 4s lipo- gearing makes a massive difference either way.

I think if you can afford 2x 2s and 2x 3s lipos you can do alright- aim for the 1700kv motor and use 4s lipo for torque, switch it upto 6s lipo for speed.

Beware though, the summit does not do well at high speeds, it is not an erevo or an emaxx, it will tip, flip, roll and balloon it's tires to bursting point if you try and drive it like 'that'; its 13lb of crawler/ trail truck, not 9lbs of basher/ racer...

Take the time to read the summit faq at the top of this forum section and scroll through the last few pages to see how people are dealing with tekin setups and higher-speed setups; reading = learning = knowledge = not being a noob who asks things like 'tell me what to buy, I cant be bothered to do any research for myself'
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Racer
    believe it or not i did look in the FAQ and i did do searches on the forum and i did read the Tekin website. I did do searches on how kv affects performance. but its very difficult to really find relevant information. especially for someone new to Lipos and brushless motors and speed controls. Sounds like it almost doesnt matter if you run a 1300kv or a 2700 kv if you have it geared right. its the same. Asking = learning = knowledge , here i thought this forum was open to everyone noobs and know it alls. whatever happened to "the only stupid question is the one not asked". also i find when you ask these type of questions.. you tend to get a large variance of opinion.
    Burlington, ON

RC Champion
    Ok I'll spoon feed ya.

1) Ideally you will want the tekin T8 4038 (truggy) series of motor. Not the T8 4030 (buggy) series motor. Although the buggy motor will work well - you will get more torque from the larger truggy motor.
    2) Any of the T8 motors will have plenty of torque but if you are really serious about crawling or low speed hill climbing actions then you will want a motor with a kv rateing of 2000kv or below. Again, higher kv motors will work but the lower kv motors will have the most torque, less heat and you can always run 6s lipos if you feel the need for speed (55+mph generally).
    3) higher kv motors are faster but may struggle with the weight of a heavy truck, and also has more of a tendency to overheat when compared to the lower kv motors
    4) best all around gearing is in the 17-20 pinion range with the 68 tooth spur. But this will vary depending on your tire size and driving style, so be prepared to experiment with different gearing.

5) If I were to do my set up again from scratch I would choose either of these motors

T8 (truggy) motors
    TT2360 4038 2250kv
    TT2361 4038 2000kv -prefered for great torque and still great high speeds.
    TT2362 4038 1700kv

but If a great deal came along I would not hesitate to get a buggy motor. Not ideal but a great deal is a great deal.

Also if you already have a certain lipo size in mind try matching the lipo size with the recommended motor size from the tekin chart.

Last edited by noir 522; 12-22-2010 at 08:07 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Racer
    Thank you very much. i do appreciate you taking the time to write that up
    Burlington, ON

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thats scary, its like Tekin stole my old rule of thumb for kv ratings vs voltage and made it into a pretty chart; I never get the credit I deserve...

RC Champion
    go here to sort out what kind of set up vs actual speed you will see

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/car_setup.html

plug in E-revo settings (same as summit) on 7" tires - use the sliders on the final page to quickly change the variables and fine tune to your desire. Note - keep your hopes realistic (dont plan for much greater than 40-45mph) and your truck and its parts will last longer.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Enthusiast
    Hi AOD,

Don't feel so bad. We still like you.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I was... inebriated... when I did my flamethrower impression. I wont appolgise though, there really are so many threads that people just have to spend some time reading and learning & taking it all in- ask questions afterwards to clear up any confusion, rather than evidently skimming over long threads and still asking fairly basic questions; as it happens, I just skimmed the summit faq,- gearing + tekin setups + kv vs voltage is covered quite well, so... there you go really.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    go here to sort out what kind of set up vs actual speed you will see

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/car_setup.html

plug in E-revo settings (same as summit) on 7" tires - use the sliders on the final page to quickly change the variables and fine tune to your desire. Note - keep your hopes realistic (dont plan for much greater than 40-45mph) and your truck and its parts will last longer.
    When using the chart do you use full battery voltage or nominal battery voltage. The older version of Brian's calculator gave more options. I did it using both and the numbers do come out differently.
    Terry
    X3-RC8T/X2 ERBE/Losi SCTE/SC10 4x4/Baja 5SC/Rusty

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nominal- so 3.7v for lipo.

He had to change the layout a little so that the calc would display properly on facebook....