RC Racer

winches ..... why?

Ive seen someone make a DIY winch, for there summit and it was pretty cool but it makes me wonder why?
    how would this be helpful.. this isnt a 1:1 vehicle.. if it gets stuck.. pick it up

I realize that its just for fun and has no real use for bashing or crawling. and i admire the effort required.
    SnowTiger Summit, Dewalt 14.4 Nimh
    Burlington, ON

Because i could,That's part of the hobby for me.I don't like paying someone to think and do for me what i can do myself.Plus now why some one says oh thats too steep Think again.Sure i could just go over and pick it up but it won't help me climb some of the stuff i want to climb and then pull my buddies truck up behind me.The mod to the tx will allow for rear steer in the future.then i'll get rrid of the winch maybe
    Last edited by jamann; 12-20-2010 at 06:26 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Scale realism; you cant just pickup a real 1:1 if it gets itself stuck, so you have to use a winch or toe-line to pull the truck out of trouble- exact same reason for winches on an r/c...
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Qualifier
    i can see the o/p point about the winches, mind you its possible to get all kinds of led bling for your r/c with under car lights that make the car look life a ufo and brake lights and indicator lights and head lights... go nuts its your vehicle
    erevo, ubuntu.com

RC Racer
    well im going to buy the one from rc4wd.com for my summit bc its the best one i found so far. now for scale u can just pick it up but thts no fun.. now for 1:1 i have a jeep tj and u cant just pick it so u need a winch. so i thank its just what ppl like..

RC Qualifier
    what kind of servo would you need for a winch to get the summit to go straight up? something like this? http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/dig...hs-7980th.html
    anything can be fixed with duct tape and zip ties

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Something that outputs enough torque to lift the weight of the summit, so something half that powerful should work in theory ( summit is 13lbs / ~7KGs ).
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

I used a toward pro 9605mg It's a 1/5 scale servo.And yes it will lift the truck straight up,but make sure the mount is strong
    my truck is over 15lbs now so if i mounted it to the bumper it would likely tear it off pretty rare to lift the truck straight up.
    It really helps to keep the front down and getting traction when your climbing steep slick stuff.It puts out ove 25kg i went overkill to make sure it was strong enough.And it is.the servo was from china and was 20 bucks or so
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried