Thread: ESC problems

RC Racer

ESC problems

I am also having ESC issues but they are different from those posted so far. I picked up a Summit VXL back in late October for our son to be given as a Christmas gift. First problem came while running the 1200 NiMH packs in parallel & a second set of 1600 NiMH packs also. While driving the truck if you let off the trigger and re-apply the truck will stop. If you keep the trigger pulled and walk over to look the LED is flashing green really fast. Return the trigger to nutral and the LED goes back to solid red and works again. This problem will happen one out of every 10 times the throttle is let off and reapplied. Temps were aprox 90 degrees on ESCV & motor.

The second problem is while using 2-2S 2200cap 40c LiPO's in series the ESC will go into thermo within 2 minutes of running and cut power to 50% (slow red blinking led). At this point both the ESC & motor are aprox 70-75 degrees. Well under cut off temps. If I reset the ESC it will go another 2 minutes till cut off happens again. Now at this point if I swap out the LiPO's for NiMH and shut off the cut off it will run fine and temps will rise another 20 or so degrees but never thermo and cut to 50%. I'm thinking the ESC cant handle the amps the LiPO's are throwing at it and cut power.

I swapped out the ESC & Motor with my VXL Revo that is about 1 1/2 years old and both issues vanished and it works perfect both with NiMH & LiPO and without the throttle issue also.

The thing that worries me is back when the VXL Rustler came out I had a a LiPo issue with the 10th scale VXL ESC. It would thermo out on 2S LiPO in about 5 minutes and on 3S would do the same on the first pass. Was told by Traxxas I had it geared to high at first but I was at the lower end of gearing so they had me send it in. When they sent it back it was still the same way. I gave up and bought a second one from the LHS and it was fine on 2s but still hitting thermo with 3s. I wrote it off as the pack doing it and was happy on 2s anyhow. Fast forward a few years and I have a couple Stampede VXL's , one will thermo within 5 minutes on 3s packs but 2s work fine where as the 2nd one is okay on 3s. For whatever reason LiPO & Traxxas ESC's dont mix well in this household lol. My simple fix is when I had enough with them I swap them out with aftermarket and dont look back. But living in New England it sure is fun to have something to bomb around with in the snow without having to worry about melting a top dollar ESC that is not claimed waterproof.

I will contact traxxas , this post was more or less just getting out in the open some issues I have had with Traxxas ESC's.
    Running on Visa

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I had the same issue with the esc, had to send it back to traxxas.

RC Racer
    Well if your heat sinks are not feeling or reading hot then it really sounds like traxxas has an issue getting there to the the heatsink. I have read that they made some poor choices when potting the controller then trying to apply the heatsink and ending up with poor heat conduction. If your heat sink is getting hot, then consider adding a fan to keep some serious air moving.

This sunon one makes quite a racket but for its size moves a lot of air and is 5v so can run off your existing BEC:

RC Racer
    That could very well be the case and it would be a good thing to try but for a company who has been around as long as they have these kinds of issues right out of the box are a bummer. I know Traxxas support is the best as far as the RC family goes and they make some of the best "plug and play" products for the money. I have been in ths hobby for over 20 years and have owned just about every model out there. They all have "issues" in some way shape or form , it's expected. But no matter how you look at it whatever you buy should work properly out of the box in "stock" form. At the very least the most expencive part of the model that makes it "go" should be the strongest link not the weakest. lol
    Running on Visa