RC Competitor

Question Hi I just purchased a Slayer Pro 4x4 and have a few questions about fuel and air fil.

I just got a Slayer and I forgot to get some air filter oil. Can I use the k+N filter cleaner and filter oil? Also I bought fuel that wasn't Traxxas it's Odonnell racing fuel was what they had , will this fuel cause issue? There is only one hobby shop within 75 miles thats why I had to buy this fuel and air filter oil. After breakin I noticed alot of oil on bumper behind muffler is this normal? Sorry about all the questions but this is my first gas RC! Thanks for any info/help with the Slayer!

Fuel is fine. I use K&N on my filter since day one as it is much cheaper. As with the auto filters, don't over-oil. Break-in tune settings are a little rich but with a proper tune it will not be as messy.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Hey thanks for your reply and help! I feel alot better about my inexperience causing problems with my 400 dollar investment in fun! Thanks again and any other tips would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by savannahmick View Post
    Hey thanks for your reply and help! I feel alot better about my inexperience causing problems with my 400 dollar investment in fun! Thanks again and any other tips would be great.

No prob. Tip: read through the Revo and Slayer forums as obviously the Slayer is based upon the Revo chassis. Also read as much as you can in the Engine forum too. Don't be afraid of the search button and be broad with it. You will learn tons by being curious.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    the k&n filter oil is a bit to thick and can cause air flow problems. I use after run oil in all my filters. alot better air flow. but just my opion.

Don't see how it can be thicker than air filter oil. Not sure why you use ARO on your filters either. I have both K&N oil and Traxxas air filter oil and the Traxxas brand is much thicker and tackier than the K&N; again I use the K&N and have no air flow problems.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    I have the same problem with no LHS close by. I get my fuel from Towerhobbies.com...dropped off at my doorstep. It's a couple bucks cheaper than going to the LHS that I just drove 30+ miles to get to. I use the traxxas air filter oil. Work it in with my fingers pretty good then dab it with a dry shop towel to get the excess off. Welcome to the Nitro side of the hobby! If you have questions, this is the place to ask them! Good Luck and have fun with it!
    If you can't beat it....destroy it!

RC poster
    Thank you for the insight on the air filter oiling, I went and bought K&N just as you suggested. I am new to nitro and just got my Traxxas Slayer Pro 4x4. I wanted to ask if I could break my truck in over a couple of days because of my work and time and because of how cold it is where I live? Or do I need to do it in one sitting?

You can do it over the course of hours, days, weeks or months. Just make sure that you put the piston down to bottom dead center when you are done for the day.
    The Super Derecho