RC Enthusiast

Summit tires / rims

I'm coming from the 1/10th onroad class, and all these wheels are confusing me!
    14mm, 17mm, 19mm, 21mm, hexes, splined hexes... And then tire sizes! 2.2", 3.8" 4.0"..?

I've read the Summit F.A.Q. which is hands down the most valuable resource I've had in getting to know my Summit so far! Thanks for that guys. It tells me that the stock tires are hard to beat for rock crawling. Really? I would have though that Axial/ProLine brand would be better (used on dedicated rock climbers).

I also glanced at this thread: http://www.traxxas.com/forums/showth...-with-pictures

My goal is to get 3 sets (of 4) wheels for different purposes.

Set 1: Offroad bashing allround
    Pro-Line Badlands MT, 91mm (3.6") inner diameter, 69mm (2.72") width
    Where can I find fitting rims ?

Set 2: Crawling
    Stay with the stock Canyon AT's ? Or go for narrow Axials ? Which (their site is a PAIN in the **) ?
    And also, I've read that Aluminium rims are the best for rock crawling due to weight -> lower center of gravity, which manufacturer makes these?

Set 3: Paddles / sand
    Pro-Line Maxx Paddle, 77mm (3.0") inner diameter, 84mm (3.3") width
    Which rims will fit?

So basically, I have two questions:

1. Where / how can I find fitting rims. I prefer beadlocks, so I can re-use rims, and perform maintenance (clean / repair tires).

2. What are the best crawling tires.

RC Champion
    under the FAQ wheel section # 11 (sorry not listed in the index) it also discusses wheel/tire sizes.

Badlands are great tires but the will look too small on a summit - (they actually look kinda small on the erevo)
    for bashing I suggest proline moabs - a little stiff but good at high speeds - tall but a tad heavy. of mashers.

For crawling (if stock aint doing it for you) I suggest gouing to RC4WD site
    http://store.rc4wd.com/Beadlock-Wheels_c_16.html
    - they seem to specialize in large crawling tires and wheels - they also have a tire/wheel combo especially build for the summit.

Which rims fit is based on your hex nut. The summit comes stock with a 17mm hex nut - so all 17mm hex wheels should fit.
    You can also change the hex nut to a 23mm,24mm,14mm to get a different range of wheels. I run a 24mm hex then stocked up on proline 40 series tires and wheels (big joes, moabs, mashers etc)
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    One bashing tire that I am going for is the Proline Trencher 3.8 you can get them mounted or unmounted...I would agree the badlands are a little small, great tires......had a set on my Emaxx but they are smaller.

I plan on getting a set of 3.8 Trenchers right after christmas.....I have a set of the SC Trenchers on a 4x4 Slash for bashing and they have worked great.

The dimensions on the Trenchers are very appealing to me as well..... tall but not as wide as many of he other tires out there.

http://prolineracing.com/tires/trenc...-black-wheels/
    Last edited by utah300rum700; 12-16-2010 at 12:06 PM.

RC Competitor
    My choices ended up

Bashing/All around= 3.8 Trenchers...coming soon!

Crawling= Stock Geodes for now.....still undecided between RC4WD Mudslingers or Rok Loks

RC poster
    Big Joe's are the best I've found for all around bashing and they perform excellent on our local dirt track. They're a very stable tire.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the advice so far!

For Set 1: Offroad Bashing allround I've decided to stick to my E-Revo Brushless wheels (Traxxas Talon on Traxxas Geode black chrome) for now, and upgrade to Pro-Line Moab's or Pro-Line Big Joe in the future. The Big Joe's seem to be a bit more rugged for bashing, where as the Moab's are also ment for a tad of crawling. I'm still doubting between them. Because if I picked Moab's I would probably have to tape them (brushless MMM), which would make them worthless for Crawling anyway, so I might as well pick the Big Joe's. This on Axial 8-Spoke Beadlock (black, AX8042).

For Set 2: Rock Crawling, I went for what seem to be the best rock crawling tires: RC4WD Rok Lok 4.0. Since I found the Aluminium rims from RC4WD a bit pricey at 169$ (with 17mm hex converters), I decided to go with plastic Axial Narrow Oversized Beadlock rims . So for set 2:

AX8071 OVERSIZE NARROW ROCKSTER BEAD LOCKS (BLACK)

Rok Lok 4.0 Comp Tires

I'm still looking for Set 3: Paddles.
    Last edited by _eLMo_; 12-17-2010 at 04:56 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    I ordered the Big Joe 40 series and Rok Lok's, and got them this week. OH MY, I did not expect the Rok Lok's to be THIS big!

I will be mounting them (Big Joe's on Tech 5, and Rok Lok's on Axial Beadlocks) this weekend, and will post pics in the tire thread

RC poster
    Pics please

RC poster
    Where did u find the 24mm hex and exactly what did u get did you have to offset the wheels any

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by _eLMo_ View Post
    I ordered the Big Joe 40 series and Rok Lok's, and got them this week. OH MY, I did not expect the Rok Lok's to be THIS big!

I will be mounting them (Big Joe's on Tech 5, and Rok Lok's on Axial Beadlocks) this weekend, and will post pics in the tire thread
    Looks like Big Joe+Axial Beadlock Combo is catching on.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    I'd race you, but my cat ate my spur gear....

RC Qualifier
    Hi,

I have a question about the RC4WD Cyclone 40 aluminium rims. I want to use it on my Summit with Rok Lok or Mud Slingers tires. My question is simple: will I have to glue the tire on the rim, or because it is a beadlock rim (I don't find the translation of Beadlock... maybe the answer is there), the removable parts out of the rim will fix the tire by sandwiching it with the center of the rim?

So the question is: mounting of the tire with glue on the Cyclone 40 rims, or by mechanical fastening the rim itself?

Manye thanks for your help.
    Best regards,
    Cyril

RC Qualifier
    I have a question about the RC4WD Cyclone 40 aluminium rims. I want to use it on my Summit with Rok Lok or Mud Slingers tires. My question is simple: will I have to glue the tire on the rim, or because it is a beadlock rim (I don't find the translation of Beadlock... maybe the answer is there), the removable parts out of the rim will fix the tire by sandwiching it with the center of the rim?
    no do not glue if you have beadlok rims thats the whole purpose of a beadlok well not the whole purpose
    MINE ARE FASTER THAN GPS!!!

RC Qualifier
    Yes! Good news As I wasn't able to translate ''beadlock'' from english to french, I wasn't 100% sure that it was a glue-less tire fastening system. Now I know Thank you very much for your reply

RC Qualifier
    AX8071 OVERSIZE NARROW ROCKSTER BEAD LOCKS (BLACK)
    can i use a ax 8042 rim on a summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MAMBA2200 View Post
    can i use a ax 8042 rim on a summit
    From the axial product page:
    The 8 Spoke Oversize wheels will fit directly on to the Savage X, Tmaxx and Revo, and fit all Axial oversize tires as well as Pro-Line 40 series tires

RC Qualifier
    will these wheels work with mudslingers

RC Qualifier
    The 40 series size Mudslingers, yes.

RC Qualifier
    yes the 40 series thanks so either of the two wheels will work right