RC poster

Stronger slipper clutch available??? Stronger rear axles available???

I put my Blue Lipo 3s 5000mah 40c Battery on the truck today. Ran good for about 2 minutes then the clutch was just slipping REALLY bad. So I took it inside and tightened it up, backed it off a turn. Still same thing, all whine and barely moved the truck.

So I tightened it all the way up and backed off a 1/2 turn, same thing. Tightened all the way up and backed off just barely and it seems to be set right. But I shouldnt have to have it this tight correct??

Then I ran it for about a minute and twisted off a rear axle, uhhhhhh.

Thoughts on the clutch? And is there "cvd's" available for this truck?
    HPI RS4 Rally
    Stampede VXL 4x4

It's best to adjust the slipper while cold.

I usually adjust my slipper clutches tighter than 1/8 out. The exception is my E-Revo.
    If you tighten the slipper too much, you can ruin the pressure plate (I believe that's it) and it will need replacement.

Have you checked to see that all 3 slipper pads are intact and in the correct alignment?

I wouldn't go jumping on the CVD bandwagon just yet. Get it tuned right, then start switching parts out.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Qualifier
    FLM CVD for slash 4x4 or MIP and for the clutch Robinson racing G3
    Stampede 4x4 1415 1Y 2400kv, 4S 5200 30C

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Hot racing makes a slipper that uses 2 sets of pads. I have one on both my ERBE and my pede 4x4. But, ksb is right. With the stock power system you shouldent be having slipper problems. One full turn out is WAY too loose. 1/8 - 1/4 turn out is ideal and should give enough grip for wheelies but slip enough to protect your driveline. If you starte at a full turn out it's likely that you glazed you slipper pads on your first few runs. Try taking the pads off, flipping them around and starting again set 1/4 turn out. That should help.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I guess you can upgrade the slipper to the one from the E-Revo like I did on my Slash 4x4... It's bigger and will take more abuse...

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post4337063

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Champion
    ya do what danielhr77 said for the slipper it works awesomely!!

and just get the MIP CVD's and then you should be set.
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Enthusiast
    If you glaze the pads over just take some 220 grit or so sandpaper and scuff em back up-walla brand new.

If you WANT to spend money, have at it. But from what I'm reading, the only real problem is the broken "rear axle."
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Hot racing makes a slipper that uses 2 sets of pads. I have one on both my ERBE and my pede 4x4. But, ksb is right. With the stock power system you shouldent be having slipper problems. One full turn out is WAY too loose. 1/8 - 1/4 turn out is ideal and should give enough grip for wheelies but slip enough to protect your driveline. If you starte at a full turn out it's likely that you glazed you slipper pads on your first few runs. Try taking the pads off, flipping them around and starting again set 1/4 turn out. That should help.
    How's that Hot Racing double slipper working for you. Sound like a good idea!
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

It looks and fits great. But I havent been able to run it yet. Once I got it installed the temps here went down to -14 to -24C... im not going outside to run my trucks when its that cold.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    get to run it yet with the double plate?What does this exactly do? Give it more power to break another rear axle lol!!!???

After getting the truck put together I found out the dual slipper setup (which IS listed for use in a slash 4X4) doesnt fit the same as the stock slipper setup and wont work. Its unfortunate. It works on my ERBE (already had one on there) but the slipper in the pede 4X4 is the same as whats found in a 2X4 truck... not the same as whats found in an ERBE... anyway, doesnt work. Im on the lookout for something better also. Especially since im running a castle 2650 motor on 3S.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    yea id Imagine so!!!how is that beast setup??? I bought the blue bearing for the slipper clutch that replaces the plastic have any problems with that yet or havent installed?

That part works great combined with the king headz mount. Excellent upgrades.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    sweet sorry for all the questions pavment but where did you find that kind headz mount for the cheapest as well as the TRX Blue alum hub carriers or whatever you have thats anodized blue???