RC Competitor

Best LiPo Charger for the money?

So what is the best lipo charger for the money? Having a summit it needs to charge two batteries at once, with the capabilities of charger NiMH for back ups. I have been looking at the traxxas one and it seems good but kinda expensive.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by tmack20 View Post
    I have been looking at the traxxas one and it seems good but kinda expensive.
    Saving money by buying a cheap charger is a bad idea. The EZ-Peak Plus is a very reasonably priced, SAFE charger for the money...if I was in your shoes, that's the exact charger I'd buy...

Welcome to the forums.
    Make it idiot-proof and along comes a better idiot

RC Competitor
    Onyx 245 is a good charger for the price. But u can't go wrong with a traxxas charger

jonesdallas
    Second the Onyx 245, best value.

RC Racer
    this is the charger i have (Hyperion EOS 0720i), love it, great charger. I had the traxxas one before i bought the Hyperion, great charger also.
    Its a Summit thing!!!

RC Racer
    I second the traxxas ez peak plus 6 amps !!!
    Don t Go Fast if you are out of Control !!!!

RC Champion
    I got a hitech great little charger.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I am an iCharger fan...
    Twin 7600's from dead to full in about 30 minutes!
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

Saving money by buying a cheap charger is a bad idea. The EZ-Peak Plus is a very reasonably priced, SAFE charger for the money...if I was in your shoes, that's the exact charger I'd buy...

Welcome to the forums.
    +1. I love my EZ Peak Plus. It's great!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesdallas View Post
    Second the Onyx 245, best value.
    I third the Onyx 245. Great charger

RC Champion
    I'm not a fan, but for price, any icharger simply is the best for a budget.
    Price per watt, then it could be something different, depending on whats available to you.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The onyx 245 and traxxas EZpeak are both fine for an entry level charger. If you dont care about how long it takes to charge your packs or how much power you MAY need in the future, go that route.

If you do think at some point you may want to buy lipos that can be charged faster or buy larger capacity lipos that will need more charging amps, take a look at the iCharger 206B with a 47amp PSU. Youll pay less than $200 for the setup and its capable of 20amp charging. With balance and mains parallel splitters (maybe $10 total) you can do 2 packs at a time at 20 amps. For the money, this setup is hard to beat.

Im just going to throw out a thought for anyone asking for advice, particularly with chargers. Make sure you know that the people giving you advice have actually tried multiple setups and are basing their suggestions on experience with more than just the charger they are recommending. If youve only tried one charger, how do you know its good? Any charger will charge your batteries. But good ones do it faster and are easier on the packs giving more cycles before the batteries life is over. Ive personally used more than a dozen charge setups in only the past 2- 2.5 years. I was on the hunt to find the right one for me. I went from basic to the best of the best and everything in between. I currently use an FMA Powerlab 6 with a 57amp PSU connected and controlled by a laptop in my shop. Overkill for most... but for me it was exactly what I was looking for. I use a Thunderpower TP610C for a travel charger as well.

Ive used a number of the iChargers and they are all excellent. Which is why I recommended it.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 03-11-2013 at 11:31 AM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    I gather from pavementsurfer that two lipo batteries can be charged at the same time if the charger has enough power. I have been looking at duo chargers. I presume that a duo charger is only needed if you are charging different capacity batteries.

How do I set the charger up to charge and balance two batteries at the same time?
    Last edited by heggie; 03-12-2013 at 12:15 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    A paraboard or similar device is needed.

You can parallel charge same cell count batteries of different capacities... I do it on a regular basis; 4 2S 2200mAh and 2 2S 7600mAh at 20 amps on my paraboard.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    A paraboard or similar device is needed.

You can parallel charge same cell count batteries of different capacities... I do it on a regular basis; 4 2S 2200mAh and 2 2S 7600mAh at 20 amps on my paraboard.
    Are you able to balance all 4 batts when charging like this? I have a 206B and paraboard and it bugs me that I can only monitor 1 battery as it charges. Am I missing something?
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

RC Competitor
    The hitec x4 can be had for around $100 and has served me well for over year. It can charge just about anything. As with most multi chargers its 6amp max charge rate per battery. But with a couple sets of batteries it will keep ya going.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Switchblade View Post
    Are you able to balance all 4 batts when charging like this? I have a 206B and paraboard and it bugs me that I can only monitor 1 battery as it charges. Am I missing something?
    That is correct, It's best to start off with the batts at the same voltage or very close to each other, all the cells equalize and charge at the same time. I'm sure it monitors the average voltage. Why i like the MPA board, it has individual thermal fuses on the balance wire circuit. I charge four 2s2p packs which is sixteen cells but only the average of the of the 2cells in series is monitored.
    But remember the voltage is nearly the same, if they was out i'd charge on their own, but that is rare for me.
    People get worried when only 2cells get monitored and have multiple packs connected because you can visually see a number of lipo's.
    But then everybody feels quite safe charging a a single 2s2p pack, even though there is 4cells only the two series cells is monitored, but visually you can only see one pack and that looks safe. But we do it on a bigger scale.
    Last edited by trax de max; 03-12-2013 at 09:57 AM.

RC poster
    Another HiTec here and pretty happy. I think I paid about $70; it charges about anything and has jumpers for the car; balance board is included; charges OEM and LiPos. If there was a downside, it's that it only charges one at a time, but it suits me well.

RC Champion
    Pave, just curious what power supply you're recommending for the iCharger 206b? I have the 206b with a 35A 350w psu from ProgressiveRC. What's the benefit of the larger power supply?

Also, what's the benefit of a parallel board as opposed to the multiple lead "squid"?
    Last edited by OlorinTharkun; 03-12-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Switchblade View Post
    In theory as soon as the batts are plugged into the para board they self equalize so it treats all #1cells as one big cell and same for #2 cells.
    So 2 8200 mah is seen by the charger as a single 16,400 mah 2s pack.as a rule for me I plug the main leads to the board first then the balance tabs

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion

Quote Originally Posted by OlorinTharkun View Post
    Pave, just curious what power supply you're recommending for the iCharger 206b? I have the 206b with a 35A 350w psu from ProgressiveRC. What's the benefit of the larger power supply?

Also, what's the benefit of a parallel board as opposed to the multiple lead "squid"?
    I'd suggest choosing a power supply that will have enough power to charge your largest batteries, maybe even one step larger just to be safe, at whatever amperage you plan to use. the I charger 206B it's 20 amp capable. What packs are you using? If they are SPC you can charge them at 2C so with a 206b you could charge 2x 5000mah 2S packs at a time at 2c. That's 20 amps and would require a minimum of about 200 watts from the power supply. You could also charge 2x 8200mah 2s packs at 1c...

I dont charge more than 2 packs at a time so I just use a parallel balance splitter and a parallel charge splitter. It's simple and easy. A paraboard is sweet too, but I don't need to charge more than 2 packs so its overkill for me.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the info trax and jamann. I just ordered 4 SPC 8200s but I also have 2 7600s, so that's good to know.
    As for the OP question, I am very happy with my iCharger 206B, didn't think I would outgrow this one, but things change. Quickly.
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I'd suggest choosing a power supply that will have enough power to charge your largest batteries, maybe even one step larger just to be safe, at whatever amperage you plan to use. the I charger 206B it's 20 amp capable. What packs are you using? If they are SPC you can charge them at 2C so with a 206b you could charge 2x 5000mah 2S packs at a time at 2c. That's 20 amps and would require a minimum of about 200 watts from the power supply. You could also charge 2x 8200mah 2s packs at 1c...

I dont charge more than 2 packs at a time so I just use a parallel balance splitter and a parallel charge splitter. It's simple and easy. A paraboard is sweet too, but I don't need to charge more than 2 packs so its overkill for me.
    Yeah, I sometimes would charge 3 2S 5000mAh at once, but now 2 of those 3 are kaput and I have two newer 2S 5000mAh batteries. I just ordered my first pair of 8200mAh 2S SPC batteries, so those will be at no more than 1.2C (20A/16.4 combined Ah) to charge those. Maybe I'll get a paraboard someday. If I run my 2WD trucks with my kids while wife or I drive the Summit, then I might need a 2nd 206B for charging! Or longer charge times with a paraboard and one 206B charger.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

RC poster
    Thanks for the info on parallel charging. If I understand correctly, the amperage of the charger limits the number of batteries that can be charged. (20 amp charger can charge 4, 5000 mah 2s batt at 1c charge rate) Because the mah on batteries is constantly increasing, I am considering getting the icharger B306 (30 amp). I charge batteries in the field from my truck 12 volt battery. How does this 12 volt power source effect the charging capability of these chargers ?

RC Enthusiast
    the onyx 245

Quote Originally Posted by heggie View Post
    Thanks for the info on parallel charging. If I understand correctly, the amperage of the charger limits the number of batteries that can be charged. (20 amp charger can charge 4, 5000 mah 2s batt at 1c charge rate) Because the mah on batteries is constantly increasing, I am considering getting the icharger B306 (30 amp). I charge batteries in the field from my truck 12 volt battery. How does this 12 volt power source effect the charging capability of these chargers ?
    You can go to ProgressiveRC.com or EPbuddy.com to see the specs for 12V charging. Typically, (good) chargers will max out 400-500 watts on 12V. That should be more than you need in the field, no?

BTW, I vote for the FMA Powerlab 6 or 8 for the best charger for the money.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

DC chargers are designed to be run in 12volts so they usually work excellent when connected to a car battery.
    Technically, there is no limit to the number of packs you can charge in parallel. The higher you bump up the MAH, to longer it will take to charge. 1C (1 amp for every 1000mah of capacity) generally takes about an hour on a good charger. Anything higher than 1c takes less time. Anything less than 1c will simply take longer to charge.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ