RC Qualifier

Stiffer shock springs?

Hey guys. I am looking for some stiff springs that would fit t-maxx shocks. My 13lb MGT has the same size shocks as a t-maxx, but id like stiffer springs since the truck is so heavy and thought you guys may know of some that are reasonably priced. Thanks!

Eric
    Cummins Powered!

RC Qualifier
    There are some things you can do to your Maxx springs to make them stiffer. Try some thicker shock oil, 10,00-50,000 wt. Or you can take the shock caps off, cut a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of fuel line and drop that in with the oil. That will slow/damper the compression of the shock. And you can always add spacers that came with your TMaxx. This will save you a little money on new springs by using parts you already have!
    If you can't beat it....destroy it!

RC Qualifier
    I use light blue trinity springs on the front and dark blue on the rear.I bought them at tower hobbies but I cant find a link to them now.
    I gave up golf for this????

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I have looked for the trinity springs though and im thinking maybe they are discontinued.

Integy makes a spring set and I have found them seperate for a reasonable price on ebay as well as some others. Does anyone have any experience with these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-TMaxx-Ha...item53e13a5e1d

Also, they make a whole kit that comes with I think 5 or 6 sets of springs, but id rather just buy a set of 8 stiff springs and be done with it. Maybe use 4 stiff springs and 4 regular springs if that works best. I may put thicker oil in too, id like to put stiffer springs on first though.

Thanks

Eric
    Cummins Powered!

RC Qualifier
    Also, what about these? Hate to pay quite that much, but if they work, it wont be too bad.

They say 8.5 PPL. What does that mean?

http://cgi.ebay.com/T-MAXX-TMAXX-S-E...item3efa067543
    Cummins Powered!

The nice thing about the Integy Spring sets is that you have a variety of springs with different firmness to them. So you can tune your ride the way you want to. Having too stiff a spring can actually cause damage to the rod ends and spring retainers/cups. Also it can make it very unstable at your higher speeds.
    As far as what firmness of springs you need for your truck is very much up to your truck, where you drive (terrain), your driving style and the weight, ride height of your truck.

At least with an assortment you can really tune/ dial in your suspension, for the ride you want. Not to forget that as you increase stiffness in the springs you also need to use heavier shock oil or your ride will be bouncy and you will not be keeping all 4's in contact with the road when you apply power. Hence spinning out of control when you hit the throttle. "Squirrely" ride.

Integy also has an assortment of progressinve rated springs and I know a few who really liked them as well.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the advice. I am going to the LHS tonight. Not planning to buy any springs there, but im going to ask and see if they have anything worth looking at.

I like a stiff suspension on my trucks for the most part. Its not awful with the stock springs, but id like for it to be firmer so that it raises back up more after you drop it to the ground. Its definately heavy, so im sure it could use a stiffer spring. Id like to buy that kit, just hate to pay $30 for it. haha I appreciate the info though. Thanks

Eric
    Cummins Powered!

RC Qualifier
    i actually have the integy assortment pack. i think it is like 40 springs 8 of each dampening rate. I haven't had any problems with them. I have had them for like two years.
    Revenge 1/8 buggy

RC Qualifier
    *Note* Integy also makes a Slash rear spring assortment. colors are black, red, and yellow. progressive rate springs, plus the red and yellow are both heavier than stock red springs. At my local shop they are $10 per 6 springs. you may be able to achieve what your lookin for by adding yellow to the rear and reds to the front.
    you must be fast, you were right behind me

RC Racer
    Trinity xxhard )dark blue) 8lbs/inch
    formerly 1bigemaxx, now more nitro than not!

RC Qualifier
    Well I may be buying some RC Raven dual rate springs. They claim they are good for heavy trucks and I have read some good reviews on them. If they are fairly strong, then they should be fine. The springs I have on my truck now are stock Associated Soft springs, so it shouldnt take a lot to firm it up and I can use preload spacers to fine tune it. Ill let you guys know how they are. Thanks!

Eric
    Cummins Powered!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kaceywells View Post
    There are some things you can do to your Maxx springs to make them stiffer. Try some thicker shock oil, 10,00-50,000 wt. Or you can take the shock caps off, cut a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of fuel line and drop that in with the oil. That will slow/damper the compression of the shock. And you can always add spacers that came with your TMaxx. This will save you a little money on new springs by using parts you already have!
    This is such a wide-spread misunderstanding (or misuse) in shock tuning, where people pile on pre-load in order to make their shocks feel more firm. This is not what they are there for. The pre-load is supposed to be used to set ride-height. If you pile on pre-load, yeah your shocks will feel somewhat more stiff, but you now have no way to set ride-height.
    Oh where'd you go, Joe DiMaggio?

I'm going to add to what Petox just said, since we are talking about tuning your truck. Sorry if this is long winded but suspension tuning isn't quick and easy to explain.

Now I have already mentioned that there is a lot of uniqueness to your ride. Face it a couple of hop ups an your TMAXX is different. Even new out of the box they have slightly different traits in them. Then there is the driver, etc.

Springs, they sert the firmness of the ride.

Shock Oil, sets the speed of the rebound of the shock and the amount of dampening. The thicker the shock oil, the slower the shock rebound rate will be and there's more dampening. The opposite goes for when you use lighter weight oils.

Pre-Load Spacers. Once you have your shock position, your springs, your oil, now it's time to fine tune your ride height so that the lower A-arms are perpendicular to the ground. The side affect of pre-Load spacers is increased firmness. Yet you lose spring travel with too much pre-load and that hurts your tuning of your ride.

If you are happy with your shock springs, but feel the truck is bouncy, chances are your shocks are rebounding too fast, use thicker oil. Most offroad bashing you put heavier oil on the fronts and slightly thinner oil on your rear shocks as a rule of thumb.

If you are getting on the throttle while offroad and the truck has tendency to lose traction/spin out under power then chances are your shock oil is too thick, the rebound rate is too slow. This causes the shock not to let the wheel travel fast enough to keep in contact with the terrain and lose traction.

Lastly, different shock oils, even though rated the same shock oil weight will have different viscosity, Trinity 50 wt should be the same as Losi 500 or Mugen 500. Guess what, all 3 are different. I tested this with measured 2 tbsp medicine cup and put a 1mm hole in it, timed how long it took to empty in an 80 degree area. The trinity was the thickest, and I mean a good difference. The Losi was the thinnest and the Mugen was very close to the Losi just slighty thicker. Just my experience anyways. And once you have it dialed it's night and day......
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    These are the springs I bought. Won them for $9.85 shipped. They have good reviews, so Im gonna give them a shot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Ill keep you guys updated on how they do. My truck is kind of a horse of a different color anyways. Its an Associated Monster GT that has been converted to brushless electric by me with an HPI E-Savage transmission and customs driveshafts. Its not a t-maxx, but the shock springs are the same size, so thought Id ask here about the springs. Ill have some new wheels and tires on it by the end of the month. Here are a couple pictures. My MGT is the black one:

Last edited by CumminsDriver; 12-10-2010 at 08:12 PM.
    Cummins Powered!

RC Champion
    You might get in trouble for that, the mods might tell you to go to the manufacturer's forum (like they do with engines, and if they manufacturer doesn't have those resources, then tough luck). Although the mods might have lightened up a little after the changes to the website.

I like to run the same weight fluid in the front and rear, or slightly thicker fluid in the rear. But I run mostly on-road and in light off-road conditions.
    Oh where'd you go, Joe DiMaggio?

RC Qualifier
    I dont care if I get in trouble for it. Its a simple question. I own traxxas vehicles, and I have a big block t-maxx Im working on for my father in law right now and he has spent some money on traxxas because of me too. So, if they dont like me they can ban me I guess. Not fussing at you, I just aggrovated with how strict they try to be here sometimes.
    Cummins Powered!

RC Qualifier
    It should be about the hobby, not the brand name. However, I can understand why they "moderate" the forum. Not complaining, just like to see help going out to those who enjoy the hobby, not just us Traxxas lovers.
    If you can't beat it....destroy it!

RC Qualifier
    Well, its not as if I dont have traxxas stuff. I have owend 3 stampedes, 2 E-Maxx's, a T-Maxx and various other traxxas vehicles, and I have 1 stampede right now as well as a 3906 E-maxx. However, I am not brand loyal in the least and so I own several other vehicles from other manufacturers also, where I felt they had a better product than traxxas.

This is a question about shock springs, which pertains to traxxas owners as well. It would be different if I had asked how to adjust the 2 speed transmission in my savage. Anyways, this should benefit all of us, so Ill report back with what I think of the springs. If this thread is still here. lol

Eric
    Cummins Powered!

RC Qualifier
    Ive used the black rc raven duals on my t-maxx and e-maxx on the traxxas big bores. They work nice with 40wt and 50wt for me. And they are a cheap price for nnot being chedp made

RC Qualifier
    Thanks. That seems to be what I have heard about those springs. I should have them by Tuesday I would imagine, so im looking forward to getting them on and trying them out!
    Cummins Powered!

RC Qualifier
    Well I got the springs and got them on today. I havent driven it, but It sits much better to me now. I had to use some spacers to get it how I wanted it, and I still may add 1 more small spacer to each side of the front, but it comes back up to a nice ride height after you push it down now, instead of staying squatted. So far i am pretty happy for being less than $10.

Eric
    Cummins Powered!