RC poster

got new summit today, and i got few problems/questions

hey all

so got summit today, its my second rc truck, i had some cheap car like 10 years ago...

ok so its new and i installed in 2x 5800mah 30c lipo batteries (had to modify battery compartment, but that wasnt issue)

i bought charger at one guy, and he wired all this things together, and installed 5.5mm bullet connectors on everything

picture:

QUESTIONS:

so, the problem i have, is that summit keeps beeping when i hold throttle or brake? is that normal or i wired something wrong? :S i watched some videos on youtube, and i cant really hear that beeping that i have? :S

did i configure that esc wrong, or what?

next problem i have, very similar to this thread

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...g-when-i-drive

when i press throttle to max, i hear some strange sounds, not much, but its noticable, is that like normal or are some pinions grinding eachother?

is that wired up correctly?

how do i raise ? specially at back, i have read user guide, and its pretty self explanatory right? just turn that thing on springs? but i tried it, and its impossible to turn that little round thing at the end of springs, does anyone have better method? :S

additional picture of charger configured so that it charges 2 batteries at once

thanks all

PS: THAT THING IS A BEAST!!! LOVE IT SO FAR IN MY 30 MIN TEST RUN

just got to raise it :S it keeps hitting bottom when i jump with it
    Last edited by bizilux guy; 12-10-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bizilux guy View Post
    hey all

so got summit today, its my second rc truck, i had some cheap car like 10 years ago...

ok so its new and i installed in 2x 5800mah 30c lipo batteries (had to modify battery compartment, but that wasnt issue)

i bought charger at one guy, and he wired all this things together, and installed 5.5mm bullet connectors on everything

picture:

QUESTIONS:

so, the problem i have, is that summit keeps beeping when i hold throttle or brake? is that normal or i wired something wrong? :S i watched some videos on youtube, and i cant really hear that beeping that i have? :S

did i configure that esc wrong, or what?

the only beeping on mine is my external low voltage alarm
    If that is what it is. my guess is the wiring job i myself would fix that first off
    there has got to be resistance (don't think you need that much extra wire)in that and could be costing you current delivery

next problem i have, very similar to this thread

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...g-when-i-drive

when i press throttle to max, i hear some strange sounds, not much, but its noticable, is that like normal or are some pinions grinding eachother?

It sounds like it could be diff or diff pinion bearing

is that wired up correctly?

how do i raise ? specially at back, i have read user guide, and its pretty self explanatory right? just turn that thing on springs? but i tried it, and its impossible to turn that little round thing at the end of springs, does anyone have better method? :S

Order yourself some dbl orange stripe springs(stock on the front) and replace the rears that will help get rid of most of the throttle squat issue

additional picture of charger configured so that it charges 2 batteries at once

thanks all

PS: THAT THING IS A BEAST!!! LOVE IT SO FAR IN MY 30 MIN TEST RUN

just got to raise it :S it keeps hitting bottom when i jump with it
    The best thing to do is to read this thread... http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Summit-F.-A.-Q. get good overveiw of the truck are you running lva or lvc to make sure you do not over discharge your lipo's.there are a few things to know about using lipo with this truck as the esc does NOT have a built in cutoff
    Last edited by jamann; 12-10-2010 at 04:48 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    i know about not build in beeper, i have read that stop driving when lights on summit go off, and i have ordered beeper from china, it should come in 2 weeks

but im asking about that beeping sound when i pull throttle? is that normal

As far as i know the evx doesn't make any beeps.Maybe someone on here will know if not email traxxas there service is outstanding.As for bottoming out thicker shock oil or adjustable dampener kit
    Last edited by jamann; 12-10-2010 at 06:24 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    As far as i know the evx doesn't make any beeps.Maybe someone on here will know if not email traxxas there service is outstanding.As for bottoming out thicker shock oil or adjustable dampener kit
    its saturday, so ill have to wait 2 days before they even read it when ill fire it up again ill listen from where that sound is coming, but im sure its from esc

Someone will come on here and will know what thats about
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    I am thinking that you are describing the normal high pitch that comes from most TRAXXAS ESC's. All of the ones I have had make a high pitch wine when you start to apply throttle and all throughout the powerband of it. If you can, try to take a video of it so that I can hear exactly what you were describing. I am about 95% sure that its the normal pitch you hear in all TRAXXAS ESC's.
    Slayer, Slash 4x4 (MMM/2650kv), & a Summit

RC Qualifier
    OK i looked at your wiring, Blacks are hard to tell. But reds look ok .
    The image dsc0130zm.jpg looks like you have the lipo hooked to the Red tag side of ESC (ill call battery 1) . so that is the feed for the BEC as well. The other battery connector does not feed the BEC (ill call battery 2) . this one will kind of spark when you hook up. on a stock setup.

ill try to explain wiring so you can check yourself.
    looking down at esc . and motor side as position one , then counting away from motor toward batery case on the chasis.

1 is black which goes to battery 2 negative
    2 is red which goes to battery 1 positive side
    3 black goes to motor farthest away (bottom of motor negative )
    4 Black goes to motor nearest to esc (bottom of motor) negative0
    5 red goes to battery 2 positive side
    6 red goes to motor nearest side (top of motor positive)
    7 red goes to motor farthest away from esc (top of motor positive)
    8 Black goes to battery 1 negative side

position 1 and 8 are out sides of esc and on a lower step .

you need to share what the LED on the esc is doing , color and when it goes off and on. this will help i think.

normal setup with nimh when you only plug in one battery (batt 1) and push the esc button (TX on first) you should hear the sservos twitch and the green led will show a split second. and then off. you wont have enough power for system so it shuts down. it does the same thing with a 2s lipo attached . I tried it.

ok now with batt 2 only , you just get a tiny spark , and nothing.

ok now with both batterys connected (nimh) bat 1 and bat 2 . TX on , then you touch and hold button for about a second. servos twitch and led stays on solid green. and you have normal control. when you use throttle either way. it will go out . when you return to neutral green led comes on .

if you are getting a red . something is wrong.

I could not test dual lipo . because i don't have another traxxas connector (bought the last one LHS had) . so i could not make a adapter to run another. besides i only have 1 2s . tons of 3s 4s and 6s , dang it.

anyway. i was trying to see if this thing makes beeps when lipos are attached. but nothing , not a peep.
    unlike other esc's i have like align, electrifly, of castle. then again they are all brushless type and its the brusless motor that makes the beeps , by the esc rocking the motor. in your image i see a stock esc and stock titan. so to me should act like mine with the nimh.

and this summit is new too. so i don't want to blast it with lipos yet or change its connectors. my lipos are all ac3 and ac5

anyway i also read the manual for the esc. does not mention sounds only led color.

http://traxxas.com/pdfs/3019_manual_...ion-manual.pdf

anyway hope that helps you . good luck.

BTW i didn't mind making up a adapter i was curious, to hook up my watt meter to this thing. in low gear at full blast on stand , it pulls 7.7 amps i think the voltage was around 9.75 watts was 65 . this is on the batt 1 side only . but i did find a problem with mine in neutral . when i turn the wheels to the right i draw 1.1 amps and to the left only 0.4 amps. so i guess i need to tweak the steering linkage. i gues ill have to get another watt meter to test this thing for the other side.

RC Qualifier
    ON raising the back, I see you have the yellow springs , i bought the orange like the front . or you could try put the fronts on the back . to turn those collars is a PIA. but it helps if the tires are up in the air (unloaded). also i put some armor all on the threads , then turned it . one or two of them were hard because of linkages. kind have to use afinger nail. or a small flat blade screw driver to flick it one notch at a time. to bad no tiny spanner wrench for this would make it easier.

once i put orange on back like the front . and gave it about 3 threads showing it feels much better.

BTW if you push car all the way down. make sure the coils have some gap . if not you have collars to tight and this will cause shock to be damaged. if they touch its "binding" not good.

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    The best thing to do is to read this thread... http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Summit-F.-A.-Q. get good overveiw of the truck are you running lva or lvc to make sure you do not over discharge your lipo's.there are a few things to know about using lipo with this truck as the esc does NOT have a built in cutoff
    I guess I should have changed the color of my answers in his quote (duh brain shut down for maintainence) No biggy he's gettin the answers he needs.But if you want to crawl with this truck better too have little to no pre load for better flex and the higher you crank it up the harder it is on axle's.the joints wear much faster.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

with the truck on.lift the front up off the ground if the servo's are buzzing or making humming sounds.they need to be adjusted immedeatly they are fighting each other to center.If allowed to continue one or both servos will die, not maybe for sure
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Not to hijack Thread. but on my discovery with watt meter , on amp draw for steering. I dove into adjusting it . Claipers in hand. double checked link lengths. then played with the angle of the servo arms. then tweaked it to get a nice balance. Used the watt meter while adjusting center , got the amps to 0.10 . then discovered the factory , had way to much throw on this thing. at full turn. one direction it was pulling 0.95 then in the other direction 0.28 (this is after i got center down to 0.10 , it was higher before :O) . so had to use the menu button on radio to reprogram the steering end points. again using the watt meter. i set so only pulling .0.10 to 0.12 amps when fully turned one way. then the other. then exited program mode. this all done with truck upside down , so no load. much less buzzing, then out of the box. should have done this day one. anyway all good.

hijack over. but i think Bizilux Guy being a new owner will be aware of one more thing to check on.
    if more info needed i can start a new thread on this steering adjustment using a watt meter (could use a DMM or VOM as well).

RC poster
    hey guys, thanks for all the answers, really appreciate it, since english aint my first language, i struggle to understand few of this technical words but ok

thanks @ VonGearStripper, probably some people will find useful that 8 points and all that stuff, but i couldnt really understand much of it

anyways video coming soon, my camera is charging up

esc is always green, no red whatsoever, didnt see red in whole day, i just hold 0.5 sec and it goes to green, thats it.
    when i hit throttle green goes away, then when brake, green goes away again, its just like it is in manual...

but maybe that sound is coming from motor? :S ill shoot video and hopefully we figure this out

EDIT: ok i fired it up, and lifted it on block so that tires were in air, and did some testing, and concluded that this beeping or whatever it is, is coming from motor when its spinning inside.

when i apply very little throttle, (when motor is turning very slowly) its not beeping, but its like you hear some noises inside the motor, but if i pull throttle, then i can hear beeping because it goes so fast that it sounds like its beeping

(that is normal right? i mean motor has turning parts, so that thing beeps, or its too much? ill record video soon, when camera is charged up)

edit: so i couldnt wait for camera to charge up so i took phone and here is video:

and yes i have read whole manual, and couldnt see any beeping from anything, just simple red/green light

few high quality shots, now i want to know if that wiring is good, we didnt do anything to wires that go to motor, they are 4 right? 2 red and 2 black, we didnt touch them at all, we just touched those who are for batteries, but the thing that bothers me is:

there is some strange wiring, as you can see 2 cables going to each battery, but they arent next to each other, its like that: 1 black and then 1 red, but this red goes to other battery, and then we got red again, and this one goes to first battery, and then we got black again to second battery.

take a look at this pictures:

about the springs: ill see what i can do with this ones, but its really bad at this points, when i press full force to car, it touches bottom, thats on front, and on back, so i really need to do something here, because if i jump with it, and they are really not big jumps, it hits skid pads very easily
    Last edited by bizilux guy; 12-11-2010 at 05:48 AM.

RC poster
    update: just finished bashing it in snow and on gravel, and this thing is a beast

and great thing is that me and my dead adjusted those springs, now they are stiffer, but we probably need to stiffen them even more, because on large jumps, i still hit bottom with it

so far... its been best money spent in this year and i only got it for 2 days

i'll probably order 2 more batteries for it, ill see in few days, i get a lot of runtime, didnt really run it all the way till empty because i dont have alarm on but i have read that when lights go off, you need to stop driving, you guys think the same?

RC poster
    cant edit posts anymore,

anyways this sound is same as on this video

so i guess its normal?

did 1 more run on snow, man i love it so much, but the thing i worry about is that i just leave it there to dry after im done with it? its quite wet, but not too much...

so is that wrong or no? i have read users guide that you should do blablabla with it, but like i said my first language aint english and i hardly understand this technical words :S

i'd need picture of what part to clean with what, like where to spray wd40 and so on

RC Racer
    To me the high pitch noise sounds about normal but it sounds like the gear mesh between the pinon (the gear on the motor) and the spur (the big gear for the transmision inout) is too tight. Others can tell you hav to adjust this correctly, I just hold the spur and make the pinion have the slightest play and set it there.

RC Qualifier
    Yes, that high pitch sound is correct. I was glad you were able to supply a video so I could douible check. You have nothing to worry about with that. The way that I set my gear mesh (if you ever need to) is take a piece of notebook paper or printer paper, put it inbewteen the pinion/spur gears, push the gears together, and then tighten down the motor mount screws & remove the piece of paper. This leaves just enough play in it so that you wont break teeth easily or have it binding up on that area.

As for spraying the WD40, I just spray it pretty much where there is metal. (i.e. set screws, screws, linkages, pins, etc.) I usually put it on before I start running because it helps to have the water run off.
    Last edited by Slasher5225; 12-11-2010 at 07:01 PM.
    Slayer, Slash 4x4 (MMM/2650kv), & a Summit

RC Racer
    You can also adjust the ride height. The Summit comes stock assembled with the suspension pushrods in the center mount point in the lower A-arms. remove the screw and reposition the pushrod end at the inner-most mount point to raise the ride height. Or set it in the outer-most mount point to lower the ride height. So for bashing, raise the ride height, then apply more pre-load to your springs. The added travel should allow you more air. Then when you go out crawling, reduce the spring pre-load to get the most articulation.
    A squirt of WD40 on the threads of the shocks will help you with the thumbwheel pre-load adjustment.

RC Champion
    The EVX-2 is wired INTERNALLY FOR SERIES. The BEC uses the single GROUND and 2S power. The MOTOR uses the single GROUND and 4S power.

Bob
    I make tap adapters and power harnesses.

RC poster
    From Alaska, recently moved to Midland, Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher5225 View Post
    I am thinking that you are describing the normal high pitch that comes from most TRAXXAS ESC's. All of the ones I have had make a high pitch wine when you start to apply throttle and all throughout the powerband of it. If you can, try to take a video of it so that I can hear exactly what you were describing. I am about 95% sure that its the normal pitch you hear in all TRAXXAS ESC's.
    I agree with you. My Summit makes a little wine and I'm sure it's what you described.