RC poster

ez start won't turn over

I am new to rc and just got my 1st cars a week ago. I broke them in properly and have driven them around quite a bit then all of the sudden my slayer wont even turn over. Both lights on the controller are on and the controller will start my revo but the starter on the slayer won't even turn over. WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?

RC Competitor
    glow plug is good?

RC Qualifier
    Does it just make a spinning noise? If so, you just have to take off the easy start, slide off the one way bearing (owb) and spray it with something like wd-40, and re-asssemble it. This will be a regular maintenance thing, so get used to it.

If thats not it, then i would assume your slayer may be flooded. When theyre flooded, they get compression locked. Take out the glow plug, flip the truck upside down, and crank it over with the EZ start. Do this until all the nitro fuel clears from the cylinder. Re-install glo plug, and see if it fires up now.

Not being there, i can only guess whats wrong, but those are the two most common things to happen to nitro's.
    Last edited by Mr.Nitro; 12-06-2010 at 01:53 AM.
    Traxxas start making dirt bikes! :)

RC poster
    It makes no spinning noise at all. The starter doesn't turn over when i push the button on the ez start controller. It is not flodded and the glow plug is good. The starter doesn't spin when button on ez start controller is pushed.

Read up in the manual for the engine being stuck at top dead center.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Already did. It is not stuck at TDC, it is not flodded, and the glow plug is fine. The ez start won't even turn over at all or make any noise at all it. It does nothing.

Have you used the wand from the Revo for the Slayer and the one from the Slayer for the Revo? Does the problem follow the wand or does it stay with the truck?
    Make sure there is full voltage reaching the wires of the starter motor. If so, remove the whole assembly from the engine and test again. If it moves then confirm the engine does turn over by moving the flywheel back and forth. If the engine does turn over by hand and the starter runs, then it should go, however, the motor may be very weak. Or if the motor still does not spin, then it may be bad. You could swap the starter from the Revo and give it a try.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    take it to a local hobby shop

RC poster
    Closest traxxas dealer is over 100 miles away.

RC Qualifier
    Take the glow plug out, flip it upside down and use the ez start for about 10 seconds. Do that twice, reinstall glow plug and try to start it. If that doesn't work try turning the flywheel with your finger. Is the EZ start turning the motor if you don't have the glowplug in it? Oh, and is the battery charged in the EZ starter? Never know...
    If you can't beat it....destroy it!

RC poster
    Thank you!!! searching for months for this answer...

RC Qualifier
    either your ez start motor is dead or the piston is stuck at tdc or bdc (bdc not likely though). can you turn the flywheel? if you cant turn it easily than your piston is stuck.
    custom summit crawler parts lol

RC Enthusiast
    I have had problems with dirt in the starter motor. I unbolted the the EZ start system from the engine and found that it was not turning over, a test light across the terminals proved that there was power to the starter motor when the button was pressed, I then flushed out the starter motor with contact cleaner and tapped the starter motor a couple of times with a screwdriver handle while pressing the EZ start button. The starter motor started spinning after two taps, i continued to flush until it was clean. I then put a drop of machine oil on the com end bearing, and wrapped a turn of electrical tape around the motor, covering the two holes to keep the dirt and small rocks out. I have not had a problem since

RC poster
    I had the same prob. Did you check the electrical connection on the back side of the starter?

RC Champion
    Sounds like a bad connection somewhere, do as the others have said and check it out thoroughly.
    Matthew 7:7

RC Qualifier
    Definatly a connection issue.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by LoyBrad View Post
    It makes no spinning noise at all. The starter doesn't turn over when i push the button on the ez start controller. It is not flodded and the glow plug is good. The starter doesn't spin when button on ez start controller is pushed.
    Based on your infromation that you provided it sounds like your gears may be looked up inside the ez start assembly. Both lights light up indicates that you have a good connection, you have a good glow plug, you have ensured the engine is not flooded or locked up. You tested the wand on another vehicle and it works and indicates the battery is good.

I would verify that all the screws are tight on the ez start that secure the ez start to the engine and its case. I would verify that each wire connector to the motor are on the contact and not just held between the plastic cover and the connector. I would then check the ground wire (yellow) on the bottom right of the engine as your looking from the back to check if the screw is loose or if the wire is not damaged. I am not sure if you can apply voltage from a battery with two wires to the motor directly to see if the motor is good, however that is your next step in troubleshooting. That is everything you can do before you have to remove the ez start. It is best to remove the engine and ez start as an assembly. I hope this helps there is nothing more fun that finding the problem and then taking it out for another run.
    Summit
    Slayer Pro 4X4