Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rustler buggy

RC Champion

Rustler buggy

I was looking at Jangs 2wd Backslash article and decided to put a buggy body on my Rustler. The Rustler's too short for an 1/8 buggy body to fit properly, it's not long enough. So I purchased one of the STRC lcg kits and here's what I ended up with. I used the same wing mount, the HPI Hellfire mount with a Pro-line wing. I also used the MT3 split wheels and the Panther Komodo LP tires. They were by far the toughest tires I've ever glued up. The wheels are just too wide. But I did manage to get it done. Here's a list of some of the upgrades I've put on my Rustler.
    MMP 2650kv
    Integy trans
    REM lower chassis
    FLM upper chassis
    FLM wheel adapters
    Hi-tec servo
    Pro-line rear arms on the front too. (should have stayed with the RPM arms)
    T-Maxx drive shafts
    Robinson Racing slipper
    Integy wheelie bar
    Losi Ten-T shocks with Losi silver springs
    RPM shock towers
    RPM bearing carriers front
    Tra aluminum carriers rear
    STRC lcg kit
    Any way it's long enough to mount the Pro-line Crowd Pleazer buggy body. It's long, wide and handles great and jumps much better now. Hope you like it, feel free to comment and suggestions will be apreciated. Here's a few pics.

Last edited by Jones8352; 12-05-2010 at 10:18 AM.
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

RC Qualifier
    VERY NICE Jones!!!!!
    Slash4x4 1512
    LST2 1717
    Muggy 1518
    ERBE 1515

RC Qualifier
    That's not a Rustler that's whatever you want to call it. Very Awesome build. The rims help make the look. Q: is the front wider than the back?
    Brushless RiPs Nitro Drips.

RC Qualifier
    WOW very nice build ! i want to see it in some action !
    Rustler VXL SPC Power
    4-tec 5700K MM SPC Power

RC Racer
    That looks awesome! The white wheels really set it off.

RC Racer
    I think it looks pretty cool. It doesn't even look like a traxxas anymore lol! the only thing I don't like is the wheely bar. I personally think that wheely bars with 2 wheels look a lot better.

RC Qualifier
    That looks great. Makes me want to do the same. Is that the Integy wheely bar? and if so, how is it holding up?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Skitter302 View Post
    That's not a Rustler that's whatever you want to call it. Very Awesome build. The rims help make the look. Q: is the front wider than the back?
    The front about 3/4 of an inch wider. I'm using the FLM 12.5mm offset wheel adapters. I'm going to order a set without any offset and use them on the front. That way the front and rear will be the same width.
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by soltangris View Post
    That looks great. Makes me want to do the same. Is that the Integy wheely bar? and if so, how is it holding up?
    It is an Integy wheelie bar and so far it's holding up good. I've had it for about six months. It's had a tough life!
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

RC poster
    AWESOME!! I was thinking of doing this to my rustler but than i just put on a bandit body to keep costs down.

RC Champion
    When I was ordering parts for this project I decided to put new arms on because my 6 months old RPM's were looking kind of rough. I heard so manhy good things about the Pro-line arms I decided to go that route. Let's see RPM arms 6 months old and still in one piece. PL arms, broke at the beginning of the third pack. Oh well live and learn.

Jones
    Having too much fun!

RC Qualifier
    what body is that? i was thinking of doing the strc conversion as you can see above but i think this may just be what id like to do instead. i have a stock rusty but id love to do a wing mount and a buggy body like that. will the strc bolt right up to a rusty without anything else?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by staab08 View Post
    what body is that? i was thinking of doing the strc conversion as you can see above but i think this may just be what id like to do instead. i have a stock rusty but id love to do a wing mount and a buggy body like that. will the strc bolt right up to a rusty without anything else?
    The body is a Pro-line #3214-00 it's a Crowd Pleazer for the MP777. The STRC lcg kit bolts right up without any extra parts, just the kit.
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

RC Qualifier
    Lookin good! Those tires look much better than the last ones that were on those wheels lol I'm gonna need to do up those Tmaxx shafts! 1/8 power > Rustler parts
    Neu 1512 1.5Y Rustler 23/50 geared 3S powered

RC Champion
    Looks nice! I honestly think backslash's using a lcg truly make it a buggy. Awesome job!

hehe next time use a proline bulldog body!
    Wide Rustler | "Bulldog" Backslash 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Wow... really nice. Definetly the best buggy conversion ive seen so far. And like someone has already said, because its based on a rustler chassis... its truly buggy like. Unlike a backslash thats just too high up.

Surprised about your Proline rear arms... Looks like a VERY strange way to break though. Maybe a faulty set. Either way, very nice car/truck/buggy...
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Wow... really nice. Definetly the best buggy conversion ive seen so far. And like someone has already said, because its based on a rustler chassis... its truly buggy like. Unlike a backslash thats just too high up.

Surprised about your Proline rear arms... Looks like a VERY strange way to break though. Maybe a faulty set. Either way, very nice car/truck/buggy...
    Thanks for the cudos, I really like this one too. I was super suprised that arm broke. I didn't run into any thing either. I took my 4x4 to the track to test some new shocks and decided to take the Rustler along. I was getting around the track much better than before so I tried to take a triple jump and landed just a few inches short and that arm snapped right off. My LHS gave me another pair for free, so I'll keep using them and see if I have better luck with the new set. He's going to send them into Pro-line to see if there is some sort of flaw.
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

RC Champion
    that is nice man, really clean. Looking to do a buggy conversion to my rustler soon. How much longer is the strc kit compared to the stock chassis?
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

Nice work, it really looks great!!

Question: is the one-wheel wheely bar as stable as a two-wheeler? I have several Swami Bars which I love, but yours looks cool and would be a change.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Freaking awesome man! Looks great!
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Nice work, it really looks great!!

Question: is the one-wheel wheely bar as stable as a two-wheeler? I have several Swami Bars which I love, but yours looks cool and would be a change.
    Most of the time it's stable. Once in a while it'll do some wierd stuff. I just now ordered a new front and rear bumper with a 2 wheel wheelie bar from T-Bone Racing. I'll post some pics when I get them.
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

RC Champion
    Just wondering, why did you decide to go with 2 sets of rear protrac arms, instead of front and rears, since they are all the same length?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by vxlkid View Post
    Just wondering, why did you decide to go with 2 sets of rear protrac arms, instead of front and rears, since they are all the same length?
    I like the stability of the extra width. It's really hard to flip over, hasn't been on it's lid from a traction roll in a long time. I was thinking today about get the protrac front arms and putting on some stock buggy tires. That way I think I could race it in 2wd buggy. Probably have to change motor, that's ok it would handle better with a small motor on a small track. I need to find out what the rules are, like how wide it needs to be. Any one know any thing about 2wd buggy rules?
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones8352 View Post
    I like the stability of the extra width. It's really hard to flip over, hasn't been on it's lid from a traction roll in a long time. I was thinking today about get the protrac front arms and putting on some stock buggy tires. That way I think I could race it in 2wd buggy. Probably have to change motor, that's ok it would handle better with a small motor on a small track. I need to find out what the rules are, like how wide it needs to be. Any one know any thing about 2wd buggy rules?
    If you want to know how wide it can be, look at the specs for the Associated B4.1, it will be about as wide as possible for the class. I'm willing to bet it needs to be narrow like a bandit lol

RC Competitor
    Looks awesome. Would the body fit without the lcg kit?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kpcolb24 View Post
    Looks awesome. Would the body fit without the lcg kit?
    The body will be too long to fit without the LCG kit.

RC Champion
    My question is why you're using the rear arms in the front, as I thought the protrac front arms were the same length as the rears. Anyways, doesn't really matter, still a great looking buggy.

RC Qualifier
    hey man what shocks are those with the threaded bodies?

RC Champion
    hey man what shocks are those with the threaded bodies?
    They're off of a Losi Ten-T. The stock springs were way too stiff. I bought a pack of springs off of Ebay and the silver ones work great. I love these shocks, they're a big time upgrade and I picked the up off of Ebay for $42.03. I went with kind of a big shock because I run two 2s batteries in series about 75% of the time. I could just use one 4s pack but I slide the second battery as far forward as possible and it helps keep the front tires on the ground and it balances it better. It actually jumps fairly well with two batteries. With one battery the front wants to come up. The lcg kit was probably the best thing I put on it beside the shocks. The extra length makes it handle the weight of the motor and the power a lot! I can't wait for my T-bone Racing bumpers and wheelie bar. I'll post pics after I get the shipment.
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

RC Racer
    Hi, is that a homemade battery tray ?? Or is it bought ?? Where is it available...Nice buggy.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by yankphan View Post
    Hi, is that a homemade battery tray ?? Or is it bought ?? Where is it available...Nice buggy.
    It's part of an old Rustler broken chassis. The chassis came with a battery hold down system that I didn't like. This was easy and also gave me a good way to mount my esc. They're companies that make battery boxes with an area to mount the esc but this was something I had so it was free and free is always a good. Leaves money for more tires and you never have too many tires. LOL My wife thinks I have gone over the top in the tire department. I only have about 25 sets and always looking for more.
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

RC Qualifier
    hey what tmaxx shafts are those? the ones that go from the tranny to the diffs or what? part number if you have it. and did the output yokes mount right to your tranny or did you have to mod them?

RC Champion
    hey what tmaxx shafts are those? the ones that go from the tranny to the diffs or what? part number if you have it. and did the output yokes mount right to your tranny or did you have to mod them?
    T-maxx shafts #4951x
    Diff yokes #4928x
    S 4x4 hd stubs #6853
    The output yokes have to be filed down, doesn't take long. I run them on this one, my Pede and my Slash 4x4. Much cheaper than the steel options and they last.
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

RC Qualifier
    hi there...

what do you have to do to get the body on? just only the things you REALLY need, since the car i am building now is not stock apart from a few things.

ure buggy is just wat i was thinking about and i still have some money left to remodel my monster

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by synoman View Post
    hi there...

what do you have to do to get the body on? just only the things you REALLY need, since the car i am building now is not stock apart from a few things.

ure buggy is just wat i was thinking about and i still have some money left to remodel my monster
    To mount the body I cut down a front body mount for a Stampede, then drilled the front tower and screwed it to that and put a lock nut on the other side. In the rear I put a couple of posts on the esc plate. It was easy. Then I had to cut the body some in the back to make it fit. It was a fun project, one of my favorites. It handles much better with the extra wheel base, the STRC lcg kit made a big difference.
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

RC Qualifier
    might i be so bold to aks wich part numbers? i am quite novice in the building area, so its terrible for me to know what to buy... I WANT THIS!!!

RC Racer
    How did you mount the wing mount to the tower? I have the same mount but the spur gear is in the way. Also how much longer are the front and rear arms compared to a stock rustler.. If at all.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleXmodder View Post
    How did you mount the wing mount to the tower? I have the same mount but the spur gear is in the way. Also how much longer are the front and rear arms compared to a stock rustler.. If at all.
    On the spur side the lower part of the wing mount needs to be cut. I use 32p gears so I don't have to cut quite as much since I don't have to clear a gear cover. PLus I'm using a 50t spur to give even more clearance. A 54 will fit but it's close. The rear arms are standard length. Putting rear arms on the front you gain about 1 3/8" in width over all. Since I started this thread I've broke two Protrack arms, so I'm switching back to RPM arms. It could be the cold weather making them more brittle than they would be in the summer. Weather doesn't seem to effect the RPM arms. I recieved your PM, I sent you an email.
    Jones
    Having too much fun!

RC Racer
    Cool, thanks man.. Ill have to get you some photos of my build so far. I joined this forum strictly for your thread but i intend on sticking around... some great stuff on here. Is there any modification to mount the rear arms up front.? and when you said the RPM arms, Im assuming they are the RPM version for the rustler and not for some other chassis, correct.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleXmodder View Post
    Cool, thanks man.. Ill have to get you some photos of my build so far. I joined this forum strictly for your thread but i intend on sticking around... some great stuff on here. Is there any modification to mount the rear arms up front.? and when you said the RPM arms, Im assuming they are the RPM version for the rustler and not for some other chassis, correct.
    I'm swiching to RPM arms made for the Rustler. To mount RPM rear arms on the front you need to drill out the camber block with a #30 drill, since the pins are larger on the rear arms. A small spacer is needed and a spacer on the bulkhead and longer steering and camber links. Very easy to do, I had mine done in less than an hour.
    Jones
    Having too much fun!