RC Racer

Ultimate RC Network Review

Nitro Rustler 2.5

RC Qualifier
    Looks fun...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Great review. This really explains what this truck is and what its capable of... I like that the jang is comfortable with the gearing the way it is. Though im curious if there are any bearing issues like some 4X4 slash's guys have. Doesnt matter, ive got all the parts waiting to upgrade it. Just need the truck.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    I decided against picking up the pede 4x4 because of the constant rollover with the 2wd. But after watching Jangs review I'm going to pick one up after the holidays since I have a few other rc's coming. I can't wait to start playing. Way to go Traxxas. And thanks to Jang for such a great review. That was my deciding factor...
    Thrash It, Bash it, Break it, No Regrets!!!

RC Racer
    Looks good! I would buy one if I didn't already buy a VXL stampede not to long ago...=(

RC Champion
    Umm...Thats "old" news...
    rag6 already beat you to it

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    These apparently are now in circulation. First "real" vid I have found:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GutmQDukszA
    Its in the 4x4 video gallery
    Sure is a nice review I was really impressed on the stability.
    My previous sig conflicted with a forum policy.

RC Racer
    I just noticed that jang said it would not wheely to great while moving like the 2x4 does. So the 2x4 is still faster on top end and acceleration?

RC Champion
    no its because the weight on the 4x4 stampede is more spread out. instead of having all the weight in the back like the stampede 2wd is
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

Quote Originally Posted by 1slash View Post
    no its because the weight on the 4x4 stampede is more spread out. instead of having all the weight in the back like the stampede 2wd is
    This is true, the 4x4 will not be as wheelie prone due to the mid motor design and 4wd. That being said if all else is equal a 2wd vehicle should be faster than a 4wd vehicle. This would be due to less friction loss of power in the drive line. Turning more shafts, bearings etc takes more power to over come the friction leaving less power to make the turck go fast. The difference is small but still there.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    This is true, the 4x4 will not be as wheelie prone due to the mid motor design and 4wd. That being said if all else is equal a 2wd vehicle should be faster than a 4wd vehicle. This would be due to less friction loss of power in the drive line. Turning more shafts, bearings etc takes more power to over come the friction leaving less power to make the truck go fast. The difference is small but still there.
    In the test lab and possibly on the street, I agree. Once we go offroad, especially in less than stellar conditions, there is simply no contest. I make the statement having freshly run my Stampede and my Slash 4x4 MT against each other, same tires, geared similarly. Both are loads of fun, but if you really wanna get going somewhere, there's no substitute for 4WD.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Qualifier
    Stampede 4x4 1415 1Y 2400kv, 4S 5200 30C

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    In the test lab and possibly on the street, I agree. Once we go offroad, especially in less than stellar conditions, there is simply no contest. I make the statement having freshly run my Stampede and my Slash 4x4 MT against each other, same tires, geared similarly. Both are loads of fun, but if you really wanna get going somewhere, there's no substitute for 4WD.

When the question was asked...
    So the 2x4 is still faster on top end and acceleration?
    my mind went to the two trucks side by side in a drag race on pavement. In that situation the 2wd would technically be faster but like you said in many other situations like when running off road the 4wd has many advantages, no question about that one. 4wd will almost always handle better.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    my mind went to the two trucks side by side in a drag race on pavement. In that situation the 2wd would technically be faster but like you said in many other situations like when running off road the 4wd has many advantages, no question about that one. 4wd will almost always handle better.
    Exactly, and that's the only way you can try to standardize "faster" since otherwise there are simply too many variables to account for. Onroad, with decent traction, it's very possible the 2WD will walk the 4x4. My message was going out to those who might not want to buy a "slower" truck for the extra money. So to them: if you are going offroad, it's money well-spent.

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN SPEED.. View Post
    I just noticed that jang said it would not wheely to great while moving like the 2x4 does. So the 2x4 is still faster on top end and acceleration?
    I would imagine that a 3S and a correctly adjusted slipper will make it flip on its back any time you want.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 12-06-2010 at 07:55 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CAPTAIN SPEED.. View Post
    If you look at the traxxas estimates:

2X4 geared 7.53 final ratio, 3s 8000mah= 65mph+

4X4 geared 9.04 final ratio, 3s 5000mah= 60mph+

Given they used a lower gear ratio for the 4X4 and also battery packs with less capacity and the difference was only 5mph, would think any difference between these trucks in top end or acceleration would be negligible if geared the same with similar batteries.

The manual shows you can gear the 4X4 up to a 5.69 final ratio, which I am going to take a wild guess and say a few of you speed freaks will attempt So will be interesting to see the results.

Don't have the truck yet, but given that the motor is mounted between the wheels in the 4X4, I would guess acceleration is going to be better(as in easier) with the 4X4 due to better traction and control vs the 2WD.

RC Champion
    i always gear everything up for a couple of speed runs. then change it all back. lol
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus