RC Racer

just thinking out loud...

So does this vehicle make the 2WD stampede obsolete? I would guess you could just remove the center shaft and then have a 2WD vehicle if you wanted?? I would also wonder if you could just remove the center shaft, if this vehicle would not be tougher than the 2WD stampede, given this has no transmission, and the diff is a revo-spec sealed adjustable diff vs the 2WD 'not easily adjustable' diff.

Was pleasantly surprised they are about the same weight, as well. So no increased breakage due to additional weight. Weight distribution also looks to be better with new motor placement, and don't have to worry about hitting motor from the back end anymore.....

Will be very interested to hear durability feedback over the next several months, as that would be the main reason I would not swap out the 2WD for the 4WD...

if feedback is good, may have to see what the hit to the pocketbook is in swapping out an upgraded 2WD for a new 4WD version....

RC Champion
    I would think if you remove the center shaft it will not work. It still is a wheely monster running lipo's.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Qualifier
    Busselton, Western Australia... but where in Busselton... that's what we do not know...
    Crash test dummy needed to ride in my 4X4.

Crash test dummy will not comply... crash test dummy has seen you drive... crash test dummy thinks it would not even be safe for crash test dummy to be in that 4x4..... try the dirt you ate...

Haha! (not meant to be offensive)
    Can you break a Rusty?
    Umm...No...No, you can't.

RC Qualifier
    It is based off the slash 4x4 you can take out the center drive shaft and it will be 2wd. I drove mine like that for a few just to see how it performed.
    MMM 2200kv 4x4 Slash
    1/10 Rally
    1/16 Slash

RC Champion
    It would be cool if you could press a button or unclip something within 10 seconds to go from 2wd to 4wd or 4wd to 2wd like real trucks. Then you could do different driving styles stuff.
    So I taped my hamster to the Pede..

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustin'RedRusty View Post
    Crash test dummy needed to ride in my 4X4.

Crash test dummy will not comply... crash test dummy has seen you drive... crash test dummy thinks it would not even be safe for crash test dummy to be in that 4x4..... try the dirt you ate...

Haha! (not meant to be offensive)
    umm whoa you got that way wrong man.

i got a slash 4x4 PE and with just some rpm a-arm upgrades i can't break it yes i said it i CAN"T BREAK IT!

i have jumped it way over 22ft high multiple times (measured it with a measuring stick)

and it wont break
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Racer
    so I can get this drivetrain straight, there is just a slipper utilized from the transfer of power from the spur to the shaft? So there is always equal power transfer to both the front and rear diffs? If so, then either one of the front and either one of the back wheels has to be turning at the same speed, yes?

Had a couple of Losi mini lst2s(big $ pit mistake) awhile back, and they had center diffs, so interesting that one is not needed in this case, given the above is correct.....

might have to visit the slash 4X4 section a bit...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    You are correct, but there is a centre diff available so you can run 3 diffs if you want. But, as it comes stock it has a solid drive shaft that equally puts power into the front and rear diffs.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Busselton, Western Australia... but where in Busselton... that's what we do not know...
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slash View Post
    umm whoa you got that way wrong man.

i got a slash 4x4 PE and with just some rpm a-arm upgrades i can't break it yes i said it i CAN"T BREAK IT!

i have jumped it way over 22ft high multiple times (measured it with a measuring stick)

and it wont break
    It was a funny reply to I EAT DIRT's signature, I wasn't saying the Slash 4x4 isnt strong, I'd bet that it is! Just thought it'd be funny to reply to it as if I was a crash test dummy, so nope, I has got nuffin' wrong...

Hehe!
    Can you break a Rusty?
    Umm...No...No, you can't.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    You are correct, but there is a centre diff available so you can run 3 diffs if you want. But, as it comes stock it has a solid drive shaft that equally puts power into the front and rear diffs.
    Probably stating the obvious, but with this stock drivetrain, is probably even more important to error setting the slipper on the loose side rather than too tight so that the front/rear diffs aren't fighting each other too much while bashing...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by trivialone View Post
    So does this vehicle make the 2WD stampede obsolete? I would guess you could just remove the center shaft and then have a 2WD vehicle if you wanted?? I would also wonder if you could just remove the center shaft, if this vehicle would not be tougher than the 2WD stampede, given this has no transmission, and the diff is a revo-spec sealed adjustable diff vs the 2WD 'not easily adjustable' diff.

Was pleasantly surprised they are about the same weight, as well. So no increased breakage due to additional weight. Weight distribution also looks to be better with new motor placement, and don't have to worry about hitting motor from the back end anymore.....

Will be very interested to hear durability feedback over the next several months, as that would be the main reason I would not swap out the 2WD for the 4WD...

if feedback is good, may have to see what the hit to the pocketbook is in swapping out an upgraded 2WD for a new 4WD version....

does this also mean that the slash 2wd is obsolete
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

My 2wd pede/slashes will never be obsolete. For me bashing is funner with the 2wd.
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

RC Qualifier
    The 2wd slash jumps way different than the 4x4, and in a lot of ways, I think its way more maintance free since the transmission is virtually bulletproof, and its lighter as well. I really enjoy bring both my slash 2wd and 4x4 to the track and driving both of them.

I think it takes more skill to drive the 2wd. I have just as much fun driving the 2wd vs the 4wd. I am sure there will be fans of the orig vxl stampede because it will probably be such a different truck than the 4x4 version.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nissanguy8 View Post
    The 2wd slash jumps way different than the 4x4, and in a lot of ways, I think its way more maintance free since the transmission is virtually bulletproof, and its lighter as well. I really enjoy bring both my slash 2wd and 4x4 to the track and driving both of them.

I think it takes more skill to drive the 2wd. I have just as much fun driving the 2wd vs the 4wd. I am sure there will be fans of the orig vxl stampede because it will probably be such a different truck than the 4x4 version.
    Yeah, agree that 2WD will never be obsolete, just wondering if the current 2WD pede platform wouldn't be replaced with the new 4WD pede platform, just take out the shaft and the front diff...seems like it would be more durable simply due to less parts(tranny) From looking at gear ratios, it doesn't look like the 4X4 gives up much relative to the 2WD even W/O the tranny, as you can still gear the 4X4 to the equivalent of 14/86, which is low enough for me, at least...

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy6.5revo View Post
    It is based off the slash 4x4 you can take out the center drive shaft and it will be 2wd. I drove mine like that for a few just to see how it performed.
    So did your 4X4 perform well as a 2WD?

The 2wd vxl is still and will still be selling like hotcakes for a long time=not obsolete. I do like the fact that the 4wd front end is much beefier than on the 2wd though, so a conversion to the 4wd suspension is probably is in the dreams/works of a couple members here(including me) and may just show up on the forums pretty soon;°)
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Keep in mind the prices of these vehicles. Theres $100 difference (which, now that I think about it, seems small) so if someone is looking for a great entry level truck that bullet proof and super fun but needs a charger or other stuff the 2X4 would be the way to go. But if you just want a pede size truck with 4X4... well, question answered.

The way I look at it, if the bandit is still around, the 2X4 pede will never disappear.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ