RC Qualifier

Cool Dually Summit - fun little project

well when I shredded my tires I figured this was a good time to create the first Traxxas Dually Summit.( at least that I'm aware of).... well my little project was fun to do and I hope to post the "how to video" soon when I get a chance to edit...

but for now, here are four pics I pulled from the vid so you can see how its going....

Just do it...they make replacement parts.VXL power

RC Champion
    nice job that looks cool
    if your not breaking anything get more air

RC Qualifier
    to bad dually's are terable in snow or I would make a pair, nice job
    anything can be fixed with duct tape and zip ties

That's cool can't say i've seen That done yet good job How does she run?
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    never seen a dual wheel summit before. more info on the wheels please.

thanks
    erevo, ubuntu.com

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by the rc joe View Post
    to bad dually's are terable in snow or I would make a pair, nice job
    how come they are bad in snow wouldnt it be better since your tire area is so wide so it would spread the weight out better

RC Champion
    With a brushless setup I bet it would be killin it on a drag strip. Ya gotta stick it in the POST UP thread - or at least the gallery

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ragging-thread
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Qualifier
    Insane!...
    T8 sensored/Xerun-150a/custom chassis/fit body

RC Qualifier
    how come they are bad in snow wouldnt it be better since your tire area is so wide so it would spread the weight out better
    your right, you do get more surface area and the weight is spread out more but at the loss of traction becuase you won't have much weight pushing on the back tires so they will generaly spin a lot to try and find more traction and by doing that they can slip to the left and right which is a huge annoyance when trying to crawl up stuff in the snow, if you have a lot of powder snow and it's deep enough that you get high centered in 2 seconds then I would use dually's in the front/rear and pin the throttle, but for snow not that deep I would stick to big skinny tire's like rock crusher's and jack the suspention to the roof
    anything can be fixed with duct tape and zip ties

RC Champion
    makes sence now that i think of

RC poster
    Some thoughts so far:
    >test run went well, need to adjust suspension to allow for more roll on turns.
    >Need to be cautious, the back of the truck in nearly 24 inches wide.
    > Based on "sounds and visual inspections" the motor is not straining and the tranny seems solid.
    >Tons of rear wheel traction in low gear - back wheels push harder than front wheels pull... it back flips easy to do when climbing/crawling up steep inclines.
    >too wide for paths made by other RCs
    > Dually conversion seems strong/solid
    > Broke axle while crawling on a rocks - wedged a tire in a gap in the rocks and pop went the axle.

CROWD STOPPER! the park I was in some of the people eating lunch stood/sat and ate just watching me test... they thought i was Drafting an RC advertisement for the Christmas sales.

Here is a vid on todays test run... sorry the battery on the flip died when going from the park to test "crawlability" on some cement slabs/rocks piled in a nearby construction zone.

Vid - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO-qgal3UzE
    The Original "CRASHER"- Equal Parts Crawler&Basher

RC Qualifier
    thats pretty cool, thanks for sharing the video
    erevo, ubuntu.com

RC Qualifier
    So Simple its criminal....

Here is the how to vid so you can see what an easy but effective mod this is... The first half audio is okay the second half I placed music becasue the sound became distorted... fortunatley the second part is not as important as the first....

Enjoy the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud5DQSnE7xI

RC poster
    Sorry, been busy... but here is follow up #2

so far rims holding up well the holes have not started to crack or become oval. Learning how to crawl/bash again.... with it being so wide (24 inches) its a whole new approach. a stock summit at 18.5 inches wide is hard to drive on some of the scale courses but add 6 inches ...? you are constantly straddling the paths....squeeze in between rock...not likely... (my summit is wider than some of my friends rcs are long)

However, with all that rubber I am climbing over some rocks that I could not crawl on in the past. so wide very easy to "find" something for traction. great weight disbursement for soil and mud... the car stays on top and slow and steady in most cases gets you through them....

Mechanically, nothing has broken since I put a new axle on from the first test run. Motor/esc is not running hot, softened the suspension again to aid in rollover prevention and a lower CG, Did blow another battery but highly doubt its cause of the dually aspect.... no explosion just shorted out this time. I think part # 5334r (axle carriers) is taking the biggest hit ..wear wise. I am adjusting/tightening up after each run versus every 5-10 "pre-dually." inspecting the part each time shows nothing broken but front compared to back carrier the threading seemed a little more worn in the back set. the next breakdown I plan on locking the plastic adjusters in with hot glue or elmers gel, hopefully, this will hold it in place and I will still be able to remove if needed.

I will try to get more vids and keep you aware of status as requested in many of the PM I get... if all goes well, hopefully I will have/make some crawling vids for this weekend.

RC Qualifier
    thanks for shareing the how to vid.. yer right its it so simple.... looks like a fun thing to do if u have soem spare rims and treads.... wonder how it would go if put say...... mashers on teh inside rims(now sure if there the same height as the tires yer uses) or vise vera... u could prolly do some neat stuff muddin g if they were a lil higher then the outside rims... defo could pull more weight they'd act as overload springs lol
    spellign is optional

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Have you done a test with dual wheels front and rear? That would be the sickest...
    Also, what if you drilled out the centre of the outside wheel so you could fit the hex wrench through the middle and not have to take them apart all the time.

I think this is a COOL idea for a summit. I wonder, if you found large enough tires, and had 8 of them with no vent holes would the truck float.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I think this is a COOL idea for a summit. I wonder, if you found large enough tires, and had 8 of them with no vent holes would the truck float.
    It sure would, my summit floats with Losi Claws.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Have you done a test with dual wheels front and rear? That would be the sickest...
    Also, what if you drilled out the centre of the outside wheel so you could fit the hex wrench through the middle and not have to take them apart all the time..
    No just in the rear so far, eventually I may try in the front but I think the servos will burn if I try to crawl with all the rubber creating friction... I did not want to drill out the centers yet since it makes it easy for me to flip them if the rim hex insert wears out while testing... i was not sure how the torque of the motor with alloy axle hexs and the plastic rim would hold up.
    Last edited by 1zepoldm; 12-08-2010 at 09:06 PM.

RC Qualifier
    follow up 3... thanks for all the PMs

sorry been busy...trying to do this from my phone

have not had a chance to do the crawling vid as promised... I have been running in grass, hard-pack, and pavement ...its doing real well... no broken parts to report, however the right side rim is showing signs of rounding out the hex insert on the rim. flipped tires around now have fresh hex to continue testing with... cause of problem - forgot to put loctite on bolt for hub so it came loose and began to round out hex of rim.

RC Racer
    How you did the rims is exactly how i did my rims for my Jumbo Kongs. I have had them running for a few months now with no issues. What i did was drilled the centre out of the ouside rim which allows me to tighten up the standard hex. Here are some pics. I am also running the 1/2" off set rims which may help you with clearance if you put them on the front.

RC Qualifier
    Bug, glad to hear its holding up.... this seems to be a strong alternative to dually axles or a double wide rim set-up such as yours...

let me know how things are going so I have an idea on what to expect or try to fix before it happens with my rc

Thanks

RC Racer
    What i also did was fibreglassed the rims together where they join to give them more strength & reduce the load on the bolts. I know you can't do that with individual tyres. I have competed in crawling comps, towed my boat & general bashing with no rim or hex issues. I only did it so i could fit wide tyres as there was no rims wide enough on the market with 17mm hex's.

RC Qualifier
    Just some follow-up on this part of the project... have not posted a vid in a while to share on the goings on and hows it holding up.... Status: Much better a judgeing the width, and jumping, drifting etc...

here are some vids I did after first creating the dually of me jumping and just goofing off in the grass.... Enjoy