RC Enthusiast

Battery/Run Time Question

OK so I got one last week but didn't finally get around to trying it out until today. I have a Superbrain 959 that I'm using to charge the battery. On the back of the battery it says to set it at .3 amps for maximum life. The 959 only has settings from .5-4.5Amp. So I set it at .5 and didn't change any other settings. Plugged it in and it charges to what should be a full charge, but doesn't beep to indicate it's done. I tried it any way(after about 20 mins) and my run time seems reeeeeeeal short, only about 5 minutes maybe. I have an RC18R with a similar battery pack and I'm getting about 10mins(I also don't change any settings and just let the charger detect the settings). So what are other people getting? Charger settings? I might try the crappy wall charger just to see how that runs. I'm just wondering if it's a battery issue or a charger issue. I've had the charger for a while and haven't used it much in the past year(just haven't had the time).

RC Champion
    i charge mine at 2 amps. get about 10 minutes of run time. 1st few charges i charged at 1.2 amps.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you charge it at .5amp it will take more than 20 min to full charge. It should be charge at least 1.2 max 2.4, If I charge mine at 2.0 it takes around 30 min.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
    OK so I got one last week but didn't finally get around to trying it out until today. I have a Superbrain 959 that I'm using to charge the battery. On the back of the battery it says to set it at .3 amps for maximum life. The 959 only has settings from .5-4.5Amp. So I set it at .5 and didn't change any other settings. Plugged it in and it charges to what should be a full charge, but doesn't beep to indicate it's done. I tried it any way(after about 20 mins) and my run time seems reeeeeeeal short, only about 5 minutes maybe. I have an RC18R with a similar battery pack and I'm getting about 10mins(I also don't change any settings and just let the charger detect the settings). So what are other people getting? Charger settings? I might try the crappy wall charger just to see how that runs. I'm just wondering if it's a battery issue or a charger issue. I've had the charger for a while and haven't used it much in the past year(just haven't had the time).
    Generally speaking, the slower (lower amperage) you charge a pack the longer it will last (lifetime, not runtime). NiMH batteries, like your stock 1200mah battery pack, don't really get any benefit runtime-wise from charging at a really slow rate. New batteries need a few cycles before they get the best runtimes.
    Otherwise, for best results, batteries today (NiMH or LiPO) should be charged using the 1-C Charging Method, or in other words 1Amp of charge rate for every 1000mah of battery capacity, so in your case 1.2Amps. If you charge at a higher rate, like some other posters suggested, while it will decrease the charge time it will result in your pack dying and your battery needing to be replaced sooner due to overheating it during the charging process.

RC Champion
    on a slower charge you will get a bit longer run time. but hard to notice it. but if you charge at a higher rate the battery will give a bit more punch.

RC Champion
    at 2 amps with the correct voltage peak set your pack shouldnt get hot. at 2 amps on my duratrax onyx 230 the pack gets warm.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Racer
    Back when I was still running NiMHs, all the guys at the track that charged at above 1C were the ones you could hear their packs venting and popping.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by robs4rc View Post
    Back when I was still running NiMHs, all the guys at the track that charged at above 1C were the ones you could hear their packs venting and popping.

quality of cells has alot to do with that but to high of charging amps will cause the heat to build resulting in the venting. if its to bad they can make a loud bang.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE