RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Looking at a Summit... have some Q's though....

I was at my LHS yesterday and they had a mini summit sitting there... oh man... I really liked it. Suspension was so plush and it just looks so cool. Needless to say I spent quite a while ogling it.

Heres my concerns... the wheels and tires are substantially larger than the MERV and I know people have reported a few issues with the drive shafts and diffs even with the smaller MERV wheels/tires... do you guys have any issues with drive shafts and diffs on the summit? The video on traxxas shows the truck running some rough terrain but not exactly the same type of terrain id be running... id be bashing this truck... will it live or will I be spinning shafts constantly? I already do that with my pede... The stock shafts just look so small compared to the size of the wheels.
    If they are an issue, is there a stronger option or upgrade available that wont fail?
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    The tires are bigger, but the drive shafts look stronger (mini version of the summits) the weather has prevented hard bashing on my summit so i cant report on the durability of the new shafts.

RC Champion
    yea the mini summit shafts are alot beefier then the mini revos. i think the diffs are the same.
    PROJECT BAJA PEDE

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The diffs are the same just heavier oil 50k on summit and 30k on erevo, the shafts on summit are differents, but I don't see any problems with larger tires, I run proline tires and wheels on my merv (heaviers than stock wheels, and heavier than summit wheels just a little bit smaller) without issues.

RC Qualifier
    Im only running 3s hyperions on my 1/16 scale revo.

Im bashing the snot out of it with my slipper set almost locked. In the beginning i stripped a few diffs, but then I started to shim them properly ( with the old style bulks ) and the problems went away, I have had 70-100 hours without diff problems using the oldschool bulks, and now with the new styles shimmed properly the diffs are holding up to about anything.

About the driveshafts, Im using traxxas cvds with rpm a-arms and have no issues. For the center Im using a hybrid build between traxxas cvds and integy centers. I have used this setup for a very long time and its very reliable.

Read my thread if you want to know more.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by twisted View Post
    yea the mini summit shafts are alot beefier then the mini revos. i think the diffs are the same.
    They are not beefer, they are the same just the U joint on the half shaft are covered in the mini summit.

RC Qualifier
    Actualy they are, the center is the same, out to the wheels is different:

http://traxxas.com/pdfs/7207_explodedviews_shafts.pdf

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manne View Post
    Actualy they are, the center is the same, out to the wheels is different:

http://traxxas.com/pdfs/7207_explodedviews_shafts.pdf
    The lenght and the widht are the same it jus a small change in the design, that does not mean that the shaft from erevo or aftermarket parts won't fit.

RC Qualifier
    victoria BC bashing with my bud 1slash and racing with COR victoria
    i run 4inch wheels on my merv and my diffs are holding up fine all you have to do is shim them.
    1/16 revo
    slash 4x4
    some more but they wont fit