RC poster

Got a new 'pede and doin' some upgrade...

Just got a new XL-5 'pede two weeks ago. Tried running it last Saturday on the parking lot and I'm very impressed (this is my 1st hobby R/C)... I am doing some parts upgrade and thinking of the following:

Priority:
    --- RPM Front Bumper (Slash 2x4)
    --- RPM Bumper/ Wheelie Bar Mount

Inbound parts:
    --- Traxxas Wheelie Assy (coming from a VXL @ ebay chop shop)
    --- Front & rear carrier with bearings (coming from a VXL @ ebay chop shop)

Not yet decided:
    --- RPM Gear Cover
    --- Castor Block (should I get the Traxxas Alum or RPM)

...any other parts that should be prioritized in upgrading?

Ideas and comments are welcomed. Thanks in advance.
    failure is NOT an option...

RC Champion
    the rpm front bumper is a great start!! as for the traxxas wheelie bar, i dont like it. i should/will get this one, 3rd one down,
    http://www.swami-rc.com/ordering/

and as for the front and rear bearing carriers and castor blocks a lot of people like the traxxas alum, but they are a little pricey, these are cheaper and just as good.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...filter_mfr/263

and i see no need for the rpm gear cover, so that up to you.
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    My opinion is that the gear cover is a must have to keep dirt out of the gears. Unless you only run it on clean surfaces, light grit will eventually build up inside the stock gear cover... the RPM will help keep that junk out.

Your list is good I think... STRC castor blocks are a great choice and when its time to upgrade your carriers from the stock ones (I know you bought the stock ones just to get the bearings... which I think was a smart idea), go with aluminum from STRC or traxxas. If you look around, you can find the traxxas aluminum parts for a good deal. Tower hobbies is the most expensive place to buy traxxas aluminum parts. I would not go with RPM plastic carriers or castor blocks. These parts are much better in aluminum.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    @pavmentsurfer & rustler09: thanks for the suggestions

You might want to look at a TRX or RPM 2wd Slash bumper instead. They are both very tough, protect at least as much area, and assist in going up & over curbs better. I like the RPM wide bumper too - enough to have 3 of them.

FWIW, I've have very good experiences with my RPM carriers, but if you live in an area that gets chilly, be aware that cold is not a plastic part's friend.

Check out pav's review of the RPM body mounts too. I wish they had them four years ago.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-19-2010 at 01:02 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    ^ thanks for the reminder about the plastic parts, I'll keep that in mind specially that I am living in MB...

RC Qualifier
    Hey audio. My advice is to not get the gear cover,..its the same exact thing as the stock. Forget the castors too. When your stock plastic stuff breaks, then buy RPM (warrantied and cheap). BUY GO FAST STUFF!! lol

I just upgraded to a 9.6v and WOW!!!!! They are $50 per battery but it flys now! Best $50 I have put in yet!

The RPM gear cover isnt the same as stock... its sealed. The stock cover has about a 3cm cutout right where the inner driveshaft cv joint is... this opening allows alot of debris to get inside the gears. The RPM version has no opening... which does help keep out alot of junk. Most people consider the gear cover to be a necessity. You CAN modify the stock cover with tape or a bit of lexan glued on... but id be worried it would eventually come apart and get into the gears. For the $6 or so it costs, the gear cover is a good investment.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    pavement,
    You may be right as you are MUCH more experienced than I. However I actually just drilled some more small holes in the top (as if you are looking down at the truck) in the cover. The holes are on the chassis side and moving up to top the to minimize debris. This will help dissapate some heat off the gears/motor. I'm running 19/90 and my pinion was HOT today 5 min of road and 5 min of grass running. Might get more junk, but I clean it out. Just my $.02. Trial and error right?

Thoughts?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Thoughts........32p....set it and forget it...lol. I think a sealed gear cover is a must for people that don't want to replace gears every weekend. You can facter in that, a xl pede isn't kicking up earth like a vxl, so some don't see the need like others. Also, once you had your truck spread across the table a few times, your ready to tackle the parts you my have not dared to earlyer. A sealed cover will simply keep the grit out and prolong the life of the gears inside, no question. Weather you need one or not, is an individuals choice.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    I stand corrected. Now that I have 5 extra vent holes in my gear cover...lol

RC poster
    it is always good when different thoughts are being discussed

I do agree mrhammer2u... I think teh gear cover holds in a very small amount of heat and when I switched to 32p gearing and stopped using a cover all together I felt I got a 5 degree drop in temps or so... so I agree with your heat suggestions. Where I run, the dirt is made up mostly of very fine sand packed together in small clumps... they look like little pebbles but can be broken into dust... this fine dust would get into the opening in my stock gear cover and after a full 3000mah pack i would actually have an accumulated amount of dirt in my gears... enough that the gears were being worn out almost ever 4-5 packs. I switched to the RPM cover that had no opening and had NO dirt buildup inside the gears. This is my reasoning behind my statments. But as has been said, each persons experience and each unique running area will produce different results. Our collective experiences are what help new people make good decisions about what will work for them.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhammer2u View Post
    pavement,
    You may be right as you are MUCH more experienced than I. However I actually just drilled some more small holes in the top (as if you are looking down at the truck) in the cover. The holes are on the chassis side and moving up to top the to minimize debris. This will help dissapate some heat off the gears/motor. I'm running 19/90 and my pinion was HOT today 5 min of road and 5 min of grass running. Might get more junk, but I clean it out. Just my $.02. Trial and error right?

Thoughts?
    Do a double check on gear mesh. Make sure its not too tight and causing the overheated pinion.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC poster
    thanks for all shared ideas... appreciated!
    still waiting for the orders to arrive here...

RC Qualifier
    So what did you end up gettin?

+1 on the Swami Bar's. I own 3 of them now.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...