RC Champion

project 002: PART II: THE FUNKY GECKO WITH PERFECTED REAR STEERING (4WS)

Finally got a quiet weekend (kids with Grandma, my woman is at work, my team does not play untill monday night). So I put in more work on The Funky Gecko.
    original build thread:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...HE-FUNKY-GECKO

So far the front-front melded chassis has been dyed black and is doing well :

the Tekin RX8 is boxed and waterproofed:

and the body is all prepped:

But as I mentioned in my prior post the chassis is much longer than I had anticipated (actually 1:6 scale) wich is pretty neat - it allows me more space for the boxed Tekin, a second rx box (for future electronics) and a larger motor if I choose.

But my body was still 1:8 scale and when I fitted the new body - It was too short!! In the back was the exposed rockers, axle and rear springs. I was thinking of how to cover up the rear (plastic box, cut and stretch the body, re-do and shorten the chassis etc etc) then I thought "Why?", Its The Funky Gecko - just make it funkier. P-FUNK . (Thats old school Parliament Funkadelic for you young cats.):

And so instead of covering up the rear I left it exposed and grafted on a partial roll cage with LED "off-road" lights.

Last edited by noir 522; 11-14-2010 at 04:42 PM.

RC Champion
    the project is still not completed yet - I am still linking the lights/wires/ fitment and details, but here is a preview

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . The Funky Gecko

Last edited by noir 522; 11-14-2010 at 05:12 PM.

RC Qualifier
    hey noir, congrats on ur project, looks kind of like mine right now.

lol thanks for crediting me with the idea of the two front end summit:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...olted-together
    i started building mine this weekend and went on to post that it was coming along. So i hadn't yet seen your gecko threads so naturely mine when together a bit different sure u'll be interested in how i did it. get her running and a vid up soon, i'll try and do the same.

interesting body.
    T8 sensored/Xerun-150a/custom chassis/fit body

I'm totally loving this machine can't wait to see it running around.Will it climb walls like a gecko?LOL
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    I'm totally loving this machine can't wait to see it running around.Will it climb walls like a gecko?LOL
    Yea it does look "machine-like" . I am not certain if it will climb walls yet but it is showing its true 1:6 "chameleon" side

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasher View Post
    hey noir, congrats on ur project, looks kind of like mine right now.

lol thanks for crediting me with the idea of the two front end summit:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...olted-together
    i started building mine this weekend and went on to post that it was coming along. So i hadn't yet seen your gecko threads so naturely mine when together a bit different sure u'll be interested in how i did it. get her running and a vid up soon, i'll try and do the same.

interesting body.
    be prepared for a long chassis. The front end is designed longer than the rear. I attempted to make it as close to stock as possible and still maintain the rigidity of the frame but I still came in two inches longer. 1:6 scale rigs have few bodies to choose from and I really wanted to keep the 1:8 gecko body that I had planned for it.

RC Competitor
    Thats so cool!
    -Summit
    -1/16 Slash Baja -Soon to be brushless-

RC Champion
    just to let yall know

THE FUNKY GECKO LIVES

UPGRADES ARE PLANNED
    Last edited by noir 522; 05-12-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE