RC Enthusiast

stampede vxl handleing

does any body know what i can do to make my stampede vxl corner and handle better.
    Last edited by tsl8320; 11-13-2010 at 10:57 AM.

RC Racer
    a widening kit, rebuild some new shocks. lower it. practice.

RC Enthusiast
    who makes a widening kit for the stampede?

RC Racer
    I don't really know, I spent a couple minutes looking for one on the computer but cant seem to find one. Maby i was mistaken and there is not a KIT but you can do it somehow, I have seen many people talk about them.

RC Qualifier
    Its a do it yourselfer. Use the search function, type wide stampede, and get ready to do alot of reading, because there are many diffrent options.
    Traxxas start making dirt bikes! :)

RC Racer
    The Proline protrac kit will work. Its made for the slash but will fit the pede.
    Ifuundercontrol,uaintgoinfastenuf! -Parnelli Jones

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Oh yeah, the protrac kit is a complete bolt on solution. I run one on my pede and I get about an inch (20mm) in extra width. You also run 4 front wheels so you can rotate them as they wear. Total cost to upgrade including a new set of front wheels and tires (assuming your going to run stock wheels and tires) would be about $70 if you buy right.
    On top of the added with, the protrac kit does wonders for the suspension geometry which makes the truck handle better as well.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    I have these hubs... no problems yet. I purchased 2 sets since I wanted to widen 2 inches all around. my cost was 2 x$20 for the initial cost but then I sold the 4 "short ones (1 inch)" for $20 to a friend who wanted to extend his rusty 1 inch...

I also changes the shock oil to 10wt and added progressive springs to the traxxas big bore shocks... love the way it runs though at time a little stiff
    Just do it...they make replacement parts.VXL power

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    2 protrac front arms and camber links, 2 front tires and rims will get you wide cheapest. After that do The-$5-chassis-extension-PICS-redo. mod and you will have a widened extended pede, for around $40-45 including the tires and rims.
    Then you can really improve every aspect of the handling.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    I also changes the shock oil to 10wt and added progressive springs to the traxxas big bore shocks... love the way it runs though at time a little stiff[/QUOTE]

Lopez,
    You are running 10wt oil and still stiff? I don't think oil gets any lighter than that. What spring weight are you using?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    2 protrac front arms and camber links, 2 front tires and rims will get you wide cheapest. After that do The-$5-chassis-extension-PICS-redo. mod and you will have a widened extended pede, for around $40-45 including the tires and rims.
    Then you can really improve every aspect of the handling.
    I did rag6's chassis extension mod and I have to say it's cheap, strong, and easy to do. I am very happy with it so far. Thanks for sharing rag6!!
    Slash4x4 1512
    LST2 1717
    Muggy 1518
    ERBE 1515

Widening and lowering it helps out the most.
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

RC Qualifier
    Progressive springs are absolutely garbage for cornering. You will hate them. Your truck will roll very easy. When it comes to cornering you want it as stiff as possible, ideally you wouldn't even have springs. But there are always these things in the road called bumps. So do deal with those you add springs. Soft springs will make you roll. That is what progressive springs are for the first 1/4-1/2 inch. Then they tighten up. Great for grandmas car and a smooth ride but bad for cornering.

RC Qualifier
    tsl,
    Give this a try. I'm not a fan (yet) of widening or lengthening. I like the stock wheelbase because it's good for clearance. I bought 2 new pair of stock front shocks. Move the front pair to the rear (use the rear spring though). Since the front shocks are .5" shorter, cut a piece of .5" fuel tubing and put it inside the shock you are using in the front. This way you limit the travel and keep the truck level. Use front springs on the front. So instead of having shocks that are 4" rear and 3.5" front, you now have 3.5" rear and 3" front. That's it! Lowers truck about 1/2" to 3/4". Lower the body as well. All this helps a lot. I use this set up for track/handling. Then you can easily swap back the original set up for bashing. Using smaller diameter wheels can bring you down another 1/4" to 1/2".

It's like having 2 trucks in one.

$.02

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl8320 View Post
    does any body know what i can do to make my stampede vxl corner and handle better.
    In addition to rag6's chassis extension mod, I also installed the Protrac front arms and Stampede front wheels all around. The difference in handling is tremendous. My total cost was about $55 and you could problably do better on price if you shop around. If you played around with the suspension, you would likely see further improvement as well. I highly recommend it.
    Slash4x4 1512
    LST2 1717
    Muggy 1518
    ERBE 1515

RC Qualifier
    Here is a pic of my lowered pede (all front shocks with chopped mounts from above post). I haven't rolled it yet. Even in grass.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    We can talk about wider for your ride after you install the vxl. Lol remember you said yet......
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC Qualifier
    dread,
    Ha!! It's like xmas morning for me right now...Waiting for the UPS man to show up with that beautiful blue can! Hoping she still stays on all 4's,...otherwise I may be a convert too

Quote Originally Posted by tsl8320 View Post
    who makes a widening kit for the stampede?
    http://www.fastlanemachine.net/products.php?cat=13&pg=2
    It may not be quite as cheap as some other methods, of which there are many, but FLM's warranty is hard to beat. If you bend or break any of these parts, they'll replace them for the cost of shipping the parts back to them.
    Last edited by TAT2; 11-24-2010 at 01:48 PM.
    99%er

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanderson1 View Post
    If you're looking for another bolt on solution for extending the pede, check these out....I have the protrac kit and this aluminum chassis extension kit and my pede rides like a dream!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-Stampede...item2312220ca7
    You are the person selling these. Show a pic of this mounted, or this is just spam...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    You are the person selling these. Show a pic of this mounted, or this is just spam...
    Hes done that twice now.
    Everything overpowered...

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanderson1 View Post
    Okay, that didn't work. If someone can help I'll get pics up sooooon. Thanks!
    Dude, the link worked!
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore