Banned by Warnings

Exclamation Help on Grub screw

the grub screw on my pinion keeps stripping at the allen wrench part. these are from my 6 packs of robinson pinions. are there any stronger grub screws?

Thanks for any help,
    Kevin

RC Qualifier
    Are you sure it's the grub screw? It could be the allen key that's rounding the grub screw. The only time I have this kind of trouble is on my nitro on the engine screws.

PEDEKID
    kevin put locktite on the grub screw and than snug it down not crank it down

RC Qualifier
    I'm with Bez. I'm guessing it's your hex wrenches. I bought a set of metric hexes from a local hardware specialty store figuring they were good. I stripped two pinions with them. I couldn't figure it out.

I went back to the hardware store and grabbed a 1.5mm, 2.0mm and a 2.5mm socket screw from their specialty screw section. I demonstrated how their hex drivers fit their own screws very loosely. They gave me my money back and I found a better set.
    1) Mod Rusty 2) Stock Rusty 3) Stock Slash

RC Champion
    If the tip is rounded (worn down) here is a tip. I saw it in RCCA, take a cutting blade on a dremel, cut off the rounded part (like shorten the allen key to find a not worn down part) and then file away any remaing burs, there yah have it, a fresh allen key.
    24.1 MPH with a Speed Stocker!! Not going down a hill either :P

RC Qualifier
    Ya, I just snapped the rounded end off with a pair of visegrips by using the cutters on the visegrips.

RC Champion
    WOW! Canuck, you must be strong! I could never do that, oh well, back to the gym....

RC Qualifier
    Easy ! Just ajust the visegrip settings! Squeeze and voila !

<<<SAFETY WARNING>>>

Make sure to wear safety glasses

RC Champion
    Oh science and physics can beat the big brute....

Re: Help on Grub screw

Originally posted by RC-kid-boy
    the grub screw on my pinion keeps stripping at the allen wrench part. these are from my 6 packs of robinson pinions. are there any stronger grub screws?

Thanks for any help,
    Kevin
    Kevin they are a different size allen head than the stock grub screws! I have the same set and had the same problem.

You need a different allen wrench, I have no idea what size it is, it was one of about 100 laying in my tool box. It is slightly larger of course.
    Last edited by FrankieD; 05-16-2002 at 10:04 PM.
    spoilers are for distracting the compition when it flies off on that wretched triple over near turn 5

- way2fast4u
    09-30-2002 03:39 PM

RC Racer
    i have the same freakin problem with my stock stinger the grub screw how do i get the gear off it is stripped

drive traxxas
    do good
    get money
    win hard

Originally posted by tmnovakrustler
    i have the same freakin problem with my stock stinger the grub screw how do i get the gear off it is stripped

drive traxxas
    do good
    get money
    win hard
    What is stripped the allen wrench or the grub screw? If it is the grub screw there are tools for removing stuck screws if you can not get needle nose pliers around it.
    spoilers are for distracting the compition when it flies off on that wretched triple over near turn 5

- way2fast4u

RC poster
    somethin i learned long ago workin on motorcycles......there are 2 different sizes of allen wrenches. metric and sae sizes are very similair but they are not perfectly aligned. I too just recently have stripped a robinson grub in the pinion. Guy at my lhs says they are sae.....while traxxas grub screws are metric.......hahahha. the difference is almost imperceptible but it does make a difference

RC Racer
    mark the shaft and drill it out just a bit so the grub screw stays in better
    see you around buddy boy. (eazy e)rip

Banned by Warnings

Re: Re: Help on Grub screw

Originally posted by FrankieD

Kevin they are a different size allen head than the stock grub screws! I have the same set and had the same problem.

You need a different allen wrench, I have no idea what size it is, it was one of about 100 laying in my tool box. It is slightly larger of course.
    I'm pretty sure its a 1/16". how stupid! every single flipping part on the rusty is in metric, and here this is as nomal!!

Kevin

RC Qualifier
    yes, it's 1/16". found that out today installing my first Robinson pinion. i had the same problem you did. thought i had stripped the grub, but knew it just couldn't be so. i hadn't used hardly any force. i dug around in my spare tools box and came up with a 1/16" internal hex wrench - and it fit! it's in with the rest of my Robinson pinion gear set now. i think Robinson should pack the right size wrench in with their pinion sets if they're gonna use a grub that's not industry standard. wouldn't cost 'em hardly nothin.
    -oz-
    Arnie 'oz' Hauswald
    RC electric drag racer

RC Qualifier

Talking me too

After I went through about 4 pinions myself, I finally figured out there was a size problem with the allen wrench. It is 1/16 and I don't know why Robinson uses that, and doesn't bother to mention it!

I'm not real impressed with the quality of their pinions either. I just bought a couple of Kimbrough pinions, a 15 & a 17, at Tower, they cost a bit more but seem much nicer. The problem is the smallest they make is a 15, so I've put on 93T spur gears and that is working nicely.

Re: me too

Originally posted by melraid
    After I went through about 4 pinions myself, I finally figured out there was a size problem with the allen wrench. It is 1/16 and I don't know why Robinson uses that, and doesn't bother to mention it!

I'm not real impressed with the quality of their pinions either. I just bought a couple of Kimbrough pinions, a 15 & a 17, at Tower, they cost a bit more but seem much nicer. The problem is the smallest they make is a 15, so I've put on 93T spur gears and that is working nicely.
    The Robinson set is a cheapy set that is true. They are best used for getting to see what gearing you like best and then buying good pinions, like the Kimbroughs. The Robinsons don't even feel like metal.

- way2fast4u