RC poster

Diff Locking Putty?

Hey guys:

First post. Just picked up a 1/16 Summit VXL, and I'm thinking of using some diff locking putty to lock the diffs for winter.

I've never done anything like this. Any suggestions on putty, or how "difficult" this is to do? I'm not sure if anyone else has tried this on this vehicle yet, but anyone in general would be appreciated.

Thanks!

silly putty

RC Qualifier
    Got mine this past Friday. It totally needs thinker diff oil. I can put one fingure on the wheel and hit the gas and the other wheel just spins. Probably not going to lock mine but put in about 250k oil. Should almost lock it. If you truely want them locked just do what jimbo said. Just get some silly putty.

RC Racer
    I have locked my dif on a couple of different rc's, and I never like the result. It usually caused something else in the driveline to fail very quickly.
    Ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long

RC Racer
    I've thought about this, too. I had an E-Maxx back in the day, and while it was okay in the snow, cranking the diffs into lock on my 10th scale Summit was just awesome. I would think you'd have to be careful as Resinrider said, as to not damage the rest of the driveline.

I may try some heavier oil before jumping to the putty. I wouldn't want to do a "weld" method, just in case I'd ever want to unlock it and run it closer to stock.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    I use bad horsey diff locker. It's about the consistency of sticky elmers glue. So far so good. As for a task? not too bad, i've tore my diff down about 3 times in the past week. One time I put it in backwards, then I used stripped gears, and another time to put a new diff in. Takes me about 30 minutes now, it just is challenging for the first few times. I used it on my crawler-summit type MERV, works great.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Racer
    So do you just pack the diff full of that Bad Horsie stuff?

RC Qualifier
    is there a spool you can put in there like with the tmaxx? i wonder if it would fit?
    Buying Monster Trucks Madness Right Now