RC Qualifier

dewalt motor info

579724-03 = replacement for 396505-20 = 12v motor
    579724-04 = replacement for 396505-21 = 14.4v motor
    579724-05 = replacement for 396505-20 = 18v motor

brushes part 603754-01

brushes fit all 3 the above motors. the stock esc will run the 12 & 14.4v motor. the 18v motor will run but undervolted, buy a mamba monster instead.

The 12 volt motor is 1650kv, 14.4 volt motor is 1350kv and the 18 volt is 1100kv.

theres a few sources for these motors,

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...396505-20.html

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...396505-21.html

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...396505-22.html

also you can talk to your local dewalt or black and decker power tool parts suppliers and buy it thru them.but be prepared to take a loan to afford to buy it thru them.

some good info here
    http://www.wa4dsy.net/robot/dewalt-drill-motor

plenty of good info here on the traxxas forums too

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...8733203d1b4e27

hope this helps someone
    erevo, ubuntu.com

RC Racer
    Thanks stinger I was going to try to find out the kv of the 18V motor tomorrow, you just save me alot of searching.

RC Qualifier
    thats cool. i just spend ages searching for it myself...
    erevo, ubuntu.com

RC poster
    so if I was to get the 14.4v Dewalt how does that compare to the stock Titan 775?

I mean will my Summit be faster or more tourque or both?

I also have 2 Craftsman cordless drill motors that I can use as well. They have similar specs to stock Titan. The Craftsman/Ryobi drill motors (maubuchi) are RS-755WC-8017. How would these compare to Dewalt? better or worse. Sorry I just pulled these motors out of drills I stopped using and one is almost brand new - thanks for the info!!!

RC poster
    I found on my Summit the 14.4 stays at the same temp no matter if you gear with a 12t or a 21t, always gets to 140-150f even with a fan on it.

Thats running 2 * 2s Protek 4500mah 30C Life packs

Slightly slower than a titan when using a 19t pinion but a lot more torque, I've had the motor pretty hot (210f) and it's been fine after that. People say the 14.4v is the cooler running of the two as well.

They can be amp hungry, measured 120 amp load on a takeoff with my eagletree.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RCevolution
    sI also have 2 Craftsman cordless drill motors that I can use as well. They have similar specs to stock Titan. The Craftsman/Ryobi drill motors (maubuchi) are RS-755WC-8017. How would these compare to Dewalt? better or worse. Sorry I just pulled these motors out of drills I stopped using and one is almost brand new - thanks for the info!!!
    the Maubuchi Rs-775 *IS* the titan 775

http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-b..._ID=rs_775vcwc

the big selling point on the dewalt is the fact you can replace the brushes and the brushes are very cheap, like $15 from my local dewalt dealer in town.
    plus the dewalt has torque to boot.theres a massive size difference between the 775 and the dewalt.

if u look thru this thread
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=459100

theres a number of photos including side by side shots of the dewalt and a few other motors

have a look thru youtube as well, theres a number of videos of summit's there running dewalts as well as erevo's on dewalts.the dewalt motor is an awesome bit of gear
    erevo, ubuntu.com

RC Qualifier
    http://www.ereplacementparts.com/mot...n-p-64870.html

motor for 14.4v drill motor part # 396505-21

cheap

RC Qualifier

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by VonGearStripper View Post
    http://www.ereplacementparts.com/mot...n-p-64870.html

motor for 14.4v drill motor part # 396505-21

cheap
    its $1 more expensive then the link i provied above from robot market place

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/prod...396505-21.html
    erevo, ubuntu.com

RC Qualifier
    I ordered mine from sears direct parts, the shipping was fast and cheaper for me. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...art=&pop=flush

RC Qualifier
    Yes That is true product $1 more , but shipping from Robot is expensive for me , so went to these guys with fair priced shipping .
    I should have explained sorry. anyway one more source .

Thank you for part number info , that really helped me.

RC poster
    maybe this will be a better option...?

http://cgi.ebay.com/DeWalt-14-4V-Dri...item588b822e01

Nexbay, you say it with a 19t the car is slower, which would have to buy for the summit with a dewalt be a little bit faster than the titan .. 20t maybe.

could tell me where to buy that gear??

RC Qualifier
    have a hunt thru liquidrc.com
    erevo, ubuntu.com

RC Qualifier
    Update ereplacementparts.com finally shipped so alittle slow so much for same day ship like they say.
    will let you know when i get the the order . Good thing I found the problem with my Titan. tiny rock stuck inside. Time for panty hose on the motor vents . or air cleaner foam.

Thats running 2 * 2s Protek 4500mah 30C Life packs
    Nexbay Did you mean lipo or life ? That could account for the speed difference life po4 batts have a max charged voltage of 3.6v per cell where as lipo has a charged voltage of 4.20 per cell.The 2s life would be 7.2v fully charged the lipo would be 8.4v
    Last edited by jamann; 12-17-2010 at 05:05 PM.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by VonGearStripper View Post
    will let you know when i get the the order . Good thing I found the problem with my Titan. tiny rock stuck inside. Time for panty hose on the motor vents . or air cleaner foam.

air cleaner foam i doubt would let enough air thru. ibet it will cook your electric motor in no time

just steal a pair of your wifes panty hose when shes in the shower next and your good to go!
    erevo, ubuntu.com

RC Competitor
    question :

i now have the 14.4 Dewalt motor on my Summit but with the stock 14T pinion, i need to gear up, it's to slow right now :-)
    wat pinion do you recommend ? 19 or 20T and what pitch is the stock pinion exactly ?

the stock is 32 pitch ,I'm no help on the speed Mine is running a 12t pinion.I need to go slow for the climbing i do
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    tnx, 32P, now i can look for a bigger pinion.

but i'm also not aiming at topspeed but i noticed that this motor gets over his torque moment fast with the stock gearing + it seems that the truck is a bit slower as before with the titan motor...
    or the seller on e-bay must have mistaken himself and send me a 18V motor...

RC Qualifier
    OK Motor came in from Ereplacementparts.com along with the extra brush sets. Dam this motor is Huge

on Box it says 396505-21SV 10 12 49 Made in Mexico
    on motor 101243 R49 396505-21

Boy that pinion is going to look ruff to get off . even with dremel looks like it will be tight to cut grooves. Its way to big for my Heli pinion remover . to small for gear puller or arbor press. time to re read the PDF here on removal.

anyway hope this is the 14.4v motor.

oh well i have time since my Batt is crap. just in time LOL

RC Competitor
    pinion removal is pretty easy, just use the dremel with the cutting disc.
    make a goove(deep enough so you make contact with the shaft) between 2 teeth and put a flat screwdriver in that groove and twist it.

it came of pretty easy to be honest...

RC Qualifier
    YUp I Braved the pinion removal , I was skeptical since i could see i could not get cut off wheel close enough to cut the gear it's entire length. BUT you don't need too , I found. I first taped the whole thing with Blue painters tape . then some electrical tape to catch the sparks area. this didn't work. but what did work was aluminum flashing tape , they use for AC Duct work. this was enough to keep from burning , so sparks would not put a hole threw the tape letting dust in motor.

anyway yea. cutting carefully not to cut motor or cut into shaft . the cuts were only half way at best down the length .
    then the two screw driver twist , popped the gear in half , presto (amazing ) . one side was slightly stuck on. because my cut was not exactly 180 . but a small tug with a needle nose vise grip. got it off.

Thanks Guys .

now on to the motor mount mode and electrical. I did find 503 caps. so covered there. just hope they are not to old.
    BTW 50 + 3 zeros so 50,000 Picofarad

For screws i got part # 94529 4 x 10 mm Flat heads , Tower has them. they fit thread in that Dewalt.

also grabbed some Deans Noodle 12 gauge wire , now to find some 3/16 connector. or ill just solder .

I see there is some shimming to do, to get the spur to line up with pinion.

anyway great info and thanks for sharing. hope my rambles help others.
    Last edited by VonGearStripper; 12-22-2010 at 01:30 PM.

RC poster
    I read through the FAQ's but I didn't see if I could run my stock battery set-up with the 14.4 Dewalt. Common sense would tell me 18.6 volts is to much for the 14.4. unless I am wrong. What batteries would I use if I wanted to do the Dewalt conversion. Do I need to get new packs rated at 14 volts. thanks

RC Qualifier
    You can run the stock batteries, dewalts love to be overvolted. Although people will tell lipos are better because of the amp hungery nature of the dewalt.

RC poster
    I read about the lipos, but its still a little fuzzy to me with all those numbers. What is a good setup. I saw in the FAq that a common one is a 2 and a 3 with a volt detector, or should I do a 2 and 2. I don't even know if I'm making sense. Where can I get lipos, I just bought this summit 2 days ago and its my first real RC.
    Summit

RC Qualifier
    I don't run lipo yet. Personally I suggest running your truck for awhile until you're ready to upgrade. Read as much as you possibly can about batteries and chargers there is alot of info to take in.

RC poster
    Yes it is all overwhelming. I think I'll run it with the batteries I have now until I need more power.
    Summit

RC Qualifier
    be nice to your stock batts, stop playing the moment it slows , even if it can drive more.
    read this thread http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-4000-lipos-ok

hopefully today i can get time to mount the Dewalt.
    no 3/16 by 12 gauge connectors, so i guess its solder time.

RC Racer
    just ordered the 14.4
    SnowTiger Summit, Dewalt 14.4 Nimh
    Burlington, ON

RC Enthusiast
    With everything on the Summit being stock, what gear ratio did you finally settle on? I'm using the Dewalt 14.4v (396505-21) and I've been happy with 16/62. It would be nice to go a little higher, but I'd like to hear input from others first. I'm running in the snow so it's hard tell what's getting hot. After a full 12 minute run with Duratrax 4600mAh packs, the ESC is barely warm and the motor is barely warm. I wouldn't mind a bit more speed, but I also use it to pull my daughter around on her sled, so the torque needs to be there.