RC Racer

Stability Question

I'm seriously considering purchasing a Summit VXL, however I am concerned about how stable it will be due to the higher center of gravity. The local hobby shop doesn't have a demo model yet, though they have driven both Mini-Revo and Slash's for me.

My impression of the 1/16 Slash is that it tends to roll much easier than the Revo version. The hobbyshop employees also told me the Slash's body design tends to cause lift like an airplane at faster speeds, thus reducing control.

I'm really impressed with the 1/16 Revo, but I already have the 1/10 version. My purpose for getting a 1/16 vehicle is portability for travel and camping, plus a backup toy for when the big dog is recharging.

My intended driving surfaces vary greatly and I believe the Summit VXL will offer more adaptability, especially with off road terrain. But I also want to be able to crank up the speeds for impressing watchers, without embarrassing myself by rolling it too easy. I fully understand that the Revo's setup is definately going to be more stable, as well as faster due to the tires and gearing. My fear is the lower clearance may prevent me from driving in rough ground.

What are your experiences (please no theories) for stability with actually driving a Summit VXL? I intend to make a purchase by December 1.

RC Qualifier

Talking Instability?

Hi.Ive got the big summit,It's more stable than a Maxx(got one of 'em too) Can't see any problems with it rolling too much .Just set it as high as you want,then brake before corners.I've got the summit set at about 3/4 the way up,A arms at about 15 degrees down.Works for me

RC Racer
    Ranzou:

My first post! Whoo Hoo!

I picked up a Summit VXL on Monday, my 4th VXL vehicle. I'm by no means an expert (much closer to a newb), but I can give you some general findings after putting about 10 packs through my Summit VXL this week/weekend.

First, I am really impressed with the Summit VXL. However, I went into it with the right mindset. I wasn't expecting a diff-locking, go-anywhere crawler/monster truck hybrid that the 10th scale Summit is. So that's the first thing you have to get over. Judging by your post, that isn't what you're looking for anyways.

I've always had some issues with the Slash VXL on high-traction surfaces. It seems to be narrow, and rolls like a bowling ball more often than I'd like (of course, this has something to do with me behind the wheel). The MERV is wider, lower, and much more stable on high-traction surfaces. I agree with both of your assumptions there.

Now to the actual information you want...

The Summit VXL has great ground clearance, and a higher COG. On high-traction surfaces, it will roll over quite easily at speed (I haven't even tried tuning anything yet, so there may be some things I can change to prevent this). However, after 2S packs and some roof surfing, I was able to find the right balance between decent cornering speed and flipsville. The biggest change I needed to make was the brake setting on the transmitter. With the brake set up near 100%, I was rolling end over end forward everywhere. Knocking that down to between 70%-80% helped tremendously.

The gearing on the Summit VXL is also slightly shorter (I think I'm using the right word) which means less top speed with a little more torque (in my experience). On 2S, this thing wheelies at will, but is still able to keep things under control with a little throttle control. It won't beat a MERV in a foot race on tarmac, but its higher GC makes it a go-anywhere 16th scale vehicle. It rips through dirt, grass, mud, and even larger stones (at lower speeds). I've driven this thing in places where my MERV would either stop completely, or take full throttle just to maintain minimal speed, due mainly to it's ground clearance and tires.

My main purpose for buying the Summit VXL was for exactly what you're looking for (IMO). An "always with me" truck that can conquar a multitude of terrain, elements, and most importantly, abuse. After 10 packs, I can confidently say, I've found my new best friend

It does exactly what I want. It's a maniac offroad for a 16th scale vehicle. I have a small 300 ft. backyard track with some small jumps, etc., and it handled there perfectly. It doesn't do bad on tarmac (though it shines offroad) and so far has taken a BEATING with only one break (an upper A-Arm off a 6 foot tall quarter pipe, bad landing, totally my fault).

That's my 2 cents...well, 20 cents I guess. I've often though of maybe "hobbying" it up a bit and using some zip-ties to pinch the suspension down some to lower the COG for those high traction runs, but haven't gotten to that yet. If you want some awesome speed, with a still track-capable truck, get a MERV. If you want go anywhere torque, that jumps, goes through tall grass, handles big ruts and rocks (for it's size), get a Summit VXL. Either way it's Traxxas, you won't be disappointed.

RC Racer
    Thanks for this valuable input. This was exactly the kind of response I needed. As much as I'd like to get the MERV, I already have the 1/10 version. So my on road insanity is being fulfilled, especially once I drop a Mamba into it.

As for crawling, I bought an Axial AX-10 a year ago and have added about every hop up over time; to the point it is tricked out to the max. Therefore mini-crawling is not a necessity for me. My cousin recently bought the micro-Losi crawler, and I have to say I am not impressed. Fun on the table and carpet, but really no versatility with terrain.

Ideally, I think a mini-T Maxx would be my dream. Of which I believe the Summit VXL is just that, though with a different top. We have a big back yard with a hill, big oak trees, and lots of rock outcroppings. I think that the MERV would get bogged down too easy in the loose leaves and stuck on the rocks. My big Revo eats it up, but actually gets going too fast too easy amongst the obstacles.

Evan, thanks again for your feedback. Time to get on the web and order me a blue Summit VXL. Should do the job nicely, plus it will be different from what I already have. Sort of like buying .22 rifle when you have one already. Different caliper, for different purpose. Thats why I love my .17 HMR so much, similar but a whole different ballgame.

RC Racer
    No problem. Glad I could help. I've got like 4 .22s, 2 HMRs, and 2 Mach 2s. I know the feeling.

RC Competitor
    How do you think it would do with MERV suspension rockers and wheels? Run like a MERV with a bit wider stance...

RC Racer
    Good idea. Next change the pinion and spur gears. Then crank it up to 82 Mph like those guys on Youtube!!!

RC Qualifier
    What would have been AWESOME is a 1/12 scale summit!
    Buying Monster Trucks Madness Right Now

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just ran one pack on my new minisummit, and I like it a lot, it handles really nice even doing turns at some speed.

RC Racer
    I'm waiting for mine. Ordered a Blue one and the wherehouse accidentally sent a white one to the store instead yesterday. Said I'd pass and wait for my correct order. Hopefully will be here before Thanksgiving.