RC Champion

No Transmission?!?

I was just reading up on the pede 4x4 and noticed that it doesnt have a transmission? Wont that hamper the driveability? What I mean is wont the gearing for 65mph be terrible on acceleration? That kind of thing? I know 65mph gearing isnt practical but thats not the point. I guess what i'm getting at is why do all other trucks they make have a transmission but this one doesn't?
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Champion
    It's the same as the slash 4x4, and all the 8th scale buggies... center differential or slipper, then a diff in the front and rear.
    PLEASE do not PM me and immediately go offline :p

RC Champion
    HMM ok I guess I never really looked at a buggie. I'm use to monster trucks and was shocked it didn't have a transmission.
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Qualifier
    You seem to misunderstand the purpose of the transmission on a conventional truck like the 2WD Stampede. It's not an automatic transmission, capable of adjusting the gearing based on your speed. It's just some gears locked together to boost torque and reduce motor speed.

The new Stampede doesn't include this type of transmission, because the style of differential it uses creates exactly the same effect. The total gear ratio will be very similar between the two trucks (a bit lower on the 4WD, as it has more drivetrain to move, which is also why it's advertised at 60 instead of 65 MPH).

The bottom line is that speed and acceleration between the 2WD and 4WD models will be very similar, even though they use dramatically different drivelines to get there. The 2WD will be a bit faster and a bit quicker to accelerate, because 4WD inherently wastes more power as friction.

RC Qualifier
    Ignoring the spiders... the 4x2 and the 4x4 have the same number of gear meshes. 3. The 4x4 has more bearings though.

RC Champion
    I understand the purpose of the transmission just fine I know it doesn't shift (well some nitros do) I didn't think about the differentials having different great ratios than the 2wd. It makes sense now. I'm use to working on the ERBE and EMBE (both have a tranny)
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit