Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

How do you guys keep your interest in r/c's?

R/c's are one of three hobbies I have gotten in and out of continually for several years. I am permanently out of one hobby and on a likely three plus year hiatus from the other and have a new Pede on order, per my signature.

How do you keep your interest in r/c's? Do you race? Do you continually upgrade parts on your trucks? Do you continue to buy new trucks? Do you bash wih friends? I have no friends who are into r/c's.

Just looking for some insight.

Thanks Guys...
    4x4 VXL Stampede on 3S power

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I only just recently got a friend into RC's after years of trying with everyone I know. I think part of what keeps me involved (after years of being in and out like you) is the acceptance that this hobby can be as mellow or as serious as I want it to be.
    Nitro was what kept pushing me away. Fuel was expensive and would go bad if I didnt use it before winter, the electronics werent waterproof, the trucks couldnt take the abuse I wanted them to. Once I found my 2X4 pede (not really sure why I ordered it in the first place... I just bought it online for fun) things have changed. I drive my trucks 2-4 times a week now and am always looking forward to the next run. Its so much more simple, clean and easy now.
    Ive got an ERBE that is proving to be alot of work just to get it up to my standards before I start to run it (it was used and abused), I have a pede 4X4 on the way and a Rally on the way. These trucks may or may not stick around. If I dont like the ERBE or if it proves to be too much work to keep it running... I have no issues with selling it. If the pede 4X4 isnt what I hope it will be.... well im going to figure out a way to fix that as its the truck ive hopped traxxas would build for years, but the 2X4 pede is a truck I can pull out whenever, bash it hard and come back the next day for more.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    I personally like tinkering with them. Even if nothing is broke, I will find a reason to take it apart. The other thing that keeps my interest is my 2 sons are now involved. So, knowing that I have passed the bug to the next generation keeps my interest. I would almost compare it to building 1:1 hot rod and you have all the time and money invested in it, why walk away from it. RC will be around for a long time!!! I wish I had the bank to afford the new 4x4 Pede.
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

RC Qualifier
    i struggle with my ERBE. I don't make much money, and this year I destroyed every part on the truck. And I bought stuff like tools, lipo balancers, and other stuff to help my out which ran up the cost. When I finally drive I have blast, but when i haven't driven it in a while ( like now for example) I consider selling it and getting another merv.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Revoman859

RC Enthusiast
    Pave,

So do you just drive yoir trucks around your house and driveway and whatnot or actually take them out places to run them?

I won't have a ton of time, but would like to keep it interestng. It would be fun to get my Wife into it. When we were first married I got her a little stadium truck with a 10 or 12 turn modified motor and she had.fun running it around. Hmmm?

Thanks...

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys. You all replied while I was writingthe prior reply. Do you all drive'em around your houses or what.

Thanks...

RC Racer
    i have been in and out for a while also just like you guys anything from nitro to electric, but what i like is the tinkering and adjusting stuff just the plan speed of the trucks plus its cool just looking at it on the shelf in my garage
    i used to use mine everywhere but after selling everything to make room for the new 4x4 vxl stampede and baja 5b i said to myself and wife no more street use it gets wrecked on the street everytime i use on i break something or something loosens up.

RC Champion
    i just like the pure speed of them, and it is funny when a person in a 1;1 car stares at it while they go up the road and your right beside them!!!
    rustler vxl 2.4

RC Qualifier
    I'm also in and out of the hobby especially when I moved to my new house which is a quiet neighborhood. I didn't have time to drive to a park and didn't want to run my Nitro's around the house since I didn't want to annoy our neighbors with newborn babies. Once the LIPO and BL motors came out it I quickly got back into it. I like tinkering with these toys and can't leave it in stock form. It also doesn't help that I have a Hobbytown that is only 5 minutes away from my house. I always find myself buying toys for me and my kids (4yr old and a 7yr old).
    XO-1|SlashUE-MMM2200|Rally-SV2&MERV-MMP w/NEU1112

RC Qualifier
    No, I almost never drive mine around my house. The terrain is not interesting at all. I usually go to city parks and schoolyards, particularly those with lots of hills or rough terrain. It's a lot more fun that way. Skate parks are also good fun, if you can find one when it's not being used by skaters, but you have to be prepared to break a lot of parts.

Running with friends also makes it a lot more interesting, so I recommend that whenever possible.

RC Enthusiast
    Good ideas. I have an awesome 22 month old daughter, who I'm sure will take interest as soon as she is old enough. We already play with die-cast monster trucks in the house, which is awesome!

I can't wait to get started on this thing. Hopefully they will be shipping in early December.

RC Champion
    Here is our play area. It is across the street from our house and owned by my wifes late grandfather. I also drive on our street and in our yard.
    Pics

Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

RC Qualifier
    striking jealousy into the hearts of all onlookers!
    Quote Originally Posted by John1075
    R/c's are one of three hobbies I have gotten in and out of continually for several years. I am permanently out of one hobby and on a likely three plus year hiatus from the other and have a new Pede on order, per my signature.

How do you keep your interest in r/c's? Do you race? Do you continually upgrade parts on your trucks? Do you continue to buy new trucks? Do you bash wih friends? I have no friends who are into r/c's.

Thanks Guys...
    Speed!!!! And the rush I get, it literally gets your blood pumping!!! I though it would be a challenge but it was easy & simple, but it still alot fun.

Now Im trying fly and having more fun then ever (even though I have a r.c car for everything).

The Extreme Speeds I be going, Rock Crawling with FPV and Flying is what keeps me interested in R.C & sometimes family time.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by dcsally97
    I personally like tinkering with them. Even if nothing is broke, I will find a reason to take it apart.
    That is number one .
    Last edited by fastman; 11-03-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    I got skills!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I just find it so entertaining and intriguing. As a Mechanical Engineer, RC cars have always fascinated me and they still do, even after 24 years of RC involvement and racing.

RC poster
    Good ideas. I have an awesome 22 month old daughter, who I'm sure will take interest as soon as she is old enough. We already play with die-cast monster trucks in the house, which is awesome!

I can't wait to get started on this thing. Hopefully they will be shipping in early December.
    My 3 yr old loves when I chase him around (or vice versa) with my stampede or slash 4x4 when he's in his power wheels. Its usually right in front of the house in a cul de sac (no interesting terrain/jumps) but still more fun than being out there without the RC's.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    I build project after project trying to do things just a little differently than others.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

You guys - you are all an inspiration.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Do you all drive'em around your houses or what.
    I have three ramps set up, a dirt area that I call the dirt pad, and lots grass. One ramp is a wide board stacked on two sometimes 3 bricks(it's just for little hops while going WOT) the second is a ten-eighty ramp with grip tape, and the third is a 9ft 30-40 degree angle ramp. I basically have a circle where I hit ramp land in the dirt, turn around go into the grass, turn and hit another ramp, then repeat, and repeat,etc. etc.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Revoman859

How do you keep your interest in r/c's?
    I buy one new R/C per month more or less... Over the past four years... Do the math... That keeps my mind sane after work... No girlfriend you know, they need more money, time and maintenance than an r/c...

Do you race?
    I don't race in a track, that tense my mind and body... And, I want exactly the opposite from a hobbie... But, I drag race with my ERBE on the street from time to time with a few friends... I'm still the king...

Do you continually upgrade parts on your trucks?
    Oh, yes, none of my truck is stock...

Do you continue to buy new trucks?
    Yup...

Do you bash wih friends?
    Once a week, every wednesday night for the past four years, and sometimes on the weekends if I can get up from the bed...

I have no friends who are into r/c's.
    Their loss... This hobbie is so much fun and interesting... You should make them into it...

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    I keep changing things up. Find new places to mash, switch out parts, and tinker with toe/camber links. Just swopping tires will give you a new ride. Take some time to try new spots to bash. The same place will make it boring quick. Not sure if you watched any vids of how hard we beat these trucks but, if it looks like a fun time, find a spot with similar hills, jumps. Sandpits are some big fun.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

I live right in town, but I work about 15minutes outside of town at my parents property. So when im home, I do runs up and down my street, or off the street, down onto my lawn... that is fun for about 10 minutes at a time. Theres a church just up the street from me with a multi level parking lot, so sometimes I set up a ramp from one lot and go up or down (try anyway) to the other lot. It gets expensive but its super fun.
    Just down the road from that is the municipal building with a big parking lot and lots of different terrain around it. If I want to stay close to home, I go there.
    There are 2 schools near by and I run at each of them depending on how im feeling. I have a cool multi level recreation complex across from the schools with different grass and dirt terrain, some baseball diamonds and out the back... a crappy skatepark (crappy for skaters, EXCELLENT for RC).
    Thats what I run on close to home... when im at my parents property for work I have a motocross track with a small RC track in the centre (overgrown right now unfortunately) and lots of cool places to bash right outside the office door. So thats sweet.

Finally, I keep my pede in my truck with a couple fresh batteries at all times. Its amazing the cool places you can find to bash when your just out for a day in your car... or in my case, out for a day of shopping with the wife. Ive bashed some really cool places while my wife shops or while shes at an appointment or something. And this is the biggest reason why the pede is the right size for me. It fits behind the drivers seat of my truck, on the floor, out of the way and no one notices it. I can have it with me at all times and pull it out when the terrain looks interesting, bash for a while and put it away, ready for the next time.

Like others have said, brushless and lipo power have really brought this hobby into its own for me. Old electric stuff was slow and run times were terrible so if you wanted to have any fun you had to go nitro... hard to keep a nitro ready to go in your truck at all times. Now that I have brushless electric trucks and cars, this hobby is here to stay for me.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    i have 5 kids, it helps me keep my sanity
    erevo, ubuntu.com

RC Champion
    i started out by messing about but with only 1 battery and a 16 hour charger. things were slow. then i got a 20 minute charger and 2 packs. i was using them so much that i was charging them in the freezer as i wanted to use them again so quick. then i got a bosscat works and started winning races. loads of wins later. i got fed up with the time spent getting my car ready for the different clubs tracks. so i sold everything. then a friend sold me another car. so it started again at one point i hard over 40 cars. i was building all my own parts. now i have around 14 cars. but only use them in the street. im so lazy now that if something breaks i just use a different car. just waiting for the summit 1/16 and rally & the Stampede 4x4. to go with my 2 1/16 revos / slash 1/16 and my slash 4x4. as for the brushless comment. times have change for the better. but some people still think the cars are slow. i mean who needs a car hitting near to 100mph. you cant have real fun going that fast all day.

RC Qualifier
    I am getting into club crawling next spring. I have never competed in any form of rc. Most of the time I am bashing by myself. I think doing the club thing will be a blast. Spending time doing what I enjoy with like minded people sounds like a good time. I would love to find some place that has short course racing as well. Stock of course. Best thing you can do is find someone to enjoy rc with. I am getting a second scale truck or crawler and hope to get my wife out crawling at our local state park.

I love reading these posts guys. Its so interesting to hear why everyone stays in this hobby... I think its really interesting to see just how big an impact Brushless power system and high capacity batteries have had on our hobby.

My wife has a stampede I built for her. At first I insisted on getting a brushless system for it. She goes out ever once and a while with me and drives around the parking lot. I realized finally that the brushless system was just a waste as I had it geared super low so it wouldent be too fast for her. I have since sold that system and put in an XL5 and she doesnt even notice. For me, im just super pleased she spends the time to come out and do something I enjoy along with me. It means alot... and she appreciates that i built a special purple hummer just for her.

I think the thing I like best about RC is that its not serious. Sometimes we get serious here on the forum and I know racers are very serious... which Is why ill never race RC competitively. For me this is a way to relax and let life slow down a bit (even at 50mph) nothing that happens is life threatening and nothing I break cant be fixed.
    When my first daughter was still born about 7 months ago I just needed to escape life for a while. Just not think about the whys and hows... I would head out with my pede and a few batteries and just bash my cares away. It was so relaxing to be outside, just goofing around. If it werent for my RC's, as silly as this may sound, that time in my life would have been much harder.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    I like to tinker with the trucks a lot but i mainly like driving them and i drive mostly on grass and street because thats where i live haha i have so much fun
    Yes, I drive an electric converted Nitro Hawk.

RC Qualifier
    I just have had a love for rc since I was a kid, from racing, dragging, flying and hovering....I always had some type of rc vehicle, this is something that has just been in my heart for years!!!
    MMP-NEU 1112 1.5D 4S MERBE
    BEAST MODE [ON] OFF

RC Competitor

Thanks Guys...
    Back over 20 years ago, so long enough that I've seen it all, I was attracted to RCing because of racing.
    Sure I'd seen the little toy-type runabouts sold at Radioshack, but they looked slow and pointless - good for kids at xmas and little else. Then I was going to the local large fleamarket with my girlfriend at the time, and they had a permanent track set up in the corner of the property and there was about 50 or so guys racing that day. I hated shopping, only went to the fleamarket to please my gf, but while she poked around I spend the entire afternoon watching the little cars buzzing around the track and was hooked.
    Come to find out there were a couple other tracks in my area, and I soon got into the racing scene, onroad, offroad, oval, etc. It was great.
    But because of my interest in racing I've had little interest in bashing, and really found it counterproductive as it just led to broken cars and parts, and bashing itself (or running up and down the street) only held my interest for a few minutes at any given time.

So I've always chased down tracks, or set them up, as (to me) it's more fun chasing or running away from other cars - RACING - than it is just running around pointlessly.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by stinger30
    i have 5 kids, it helps me keep my sanity
    Hahahaha. Runs these things with a bunch of kids and it is priceless.

3 Stampedes and 2 rustler in addition to mine.
    Stampede VXL

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    My first paycheck from my first job was $130. It went directly to the department store and got a nikko thunderbolt. Sounds just like last weeks pay, and the week before... and the week before... and the week before...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Enthusiast
    Wow guys, lots of great replies and ideas. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Feel free to keep it going. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by mini-robbie
    Back over 20 years ago, so long enough that I've seen it all, I was attracted to RCing because of racing.
    Sure I'd seen the little toy-type runabouts sold at Radioshack, but they looked slow and pointless - good for kids at xmas and little else. Then I was going to the local large fleamarket with my girlfriend at the time, and they had a permanent track set up in the corner of the property and there was about 50 or so guys racing that day. I hated shopping, only went to the fleamarket to please my gf, but while she poked around I spend the entire afternoon watching the little cars buzzing around the track and was hooked.
    Come to find out there were a couple other tracks in my area, and I soon got into the racing scene, onroad, offroad, oval, etc. It was great.
    But because of my interest in racing I've had little interest in bashing, and really found it counterproductive as it just led to broken cars and parts, and bashing itself (or running up and down the street) only held my interest for a few minutes at any given time.

So I've always chased down tracks, or set them up, as (to me) it's more fun chasing or running away from other cars - RACING - than it is just running around pointlessly.
    If I understand your post correctly, what you're saying is it's better to go 'round and 'round in loops and modified loops than to wander aimlessly. Okay - you are allowed your opinion. It, as well as those opinions and thoughts displayed in a great many of your posts, could have been delivered with much less churlishness and arrogance. Some people find it difficult to "keep [an] interest in r/c's" when getting talked down to (what was your word - condescending?) constantly. That's why we strive to keep that kind of post to a minimum on the Traxxas forums.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    I've been into R/C for about 13 years. All started watching my dad and his friends race little 1/12 pan cars around indoor carpet tracks. My first R/C was a Tamiya sand buggy, and I've since had a Stampede, Rustler, 2 Emaxx's (one of which is my fiancees) and an ORIGINAL Assosiacted RC10T Stadium Truck. Now I've got a Revo 3.3 and even thoguh the engine is blown, I pass the truck by and smile. It's just neat. I keep interested in it by taking my trucks apart pretty much everyday, whether they need it or not. I have fun looking at the transmissions and all the workings. To me, it keeps me sane (like other posters have said.) And it allows me to have cheap fun without the risk of severly inuring myself or breaking others property. AND! They are re-usable. I break it, I fix it. Wash, rinse, repeat.
    E-Maxx 3905 BL 2.4GHz
    Revo 3.3

RC Champion
    havn't read through all the replys yet. But I love exploring new areas to bash at. My favorite place to go is beaches. I love making huge rooster tails with the paddles on. I love jumping the rc's, that is always quite fun. And I like jumping and landing, unlike some people who just jump aimlessly to see how far they can go.

I had a rustler and it kept me entertained for a good two years. But... eventually I wanted more and bought a ERBE also. That was a totally different game and I really love that truck. It's so versatile and can be set up so many different ways. I drove it on 4S lipos for the first year then eventually decided to go to 6S and it again was like a whole new experiance. I've recently set it up more for "crawling" and am enjoying some low speed and articualtion.... and a bit of mud

The ERBE never did get old but it did get put on the backburner for awhile when I drove someone baja 5b. I JUST HAD TO HAVE ONE! It is amazing! The amount of money you will spend on it is outrageous and I love it! lol. I then met a good few other people here in Ireland who also run them and we meet up often enough for bashes and racing(not formal). That really is the icing on the cake when you can meet up with fellow enthusiasts to enjoy collectively the hobby. I think having others to drive with is by far the best thing for me after driving solo the first couple years.

so to sum it all up quickly, if one gets a bit boring, buy a bigger one! lol. and try find some others to drive with, it really opens up a new world in rc'n
    infowars.com

RC Qualifier
    I had a few radio shack/kb toys rc's as a kid and I can still remember the first time I saw a nitro truck, our neighbor richey had a sick nitro MT truck and showed me hobby class catalog and 500 bucks was out dads yes range. Now I'm on my own and had a street bike but had to sell it so nitro rc's are my hobby of choice... Until I can afford the GSX-R of my dreams! Nitro forever!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Funny you say this, I actually get a little bored time to time. I NEVER get bored when I race. I was looking at my Slash 4x4 today and I said, wow, you deserve to be resting after my wins with you . She will be back out next year!
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Qualifier
    I used to have a couple friends to bash with. Then it dropped down to one, and now he rarely drives his truck anymore. He bought a brand new Slash 4x4, and it has only been driven a few times. Kinda sad to see it sit, and his slash 2x4 has been sitting, non-drivable at my house for months. I dont drive as much as i used to now, but im still in the hobby because it gives me something to do when im not at school or with friends.
    Using while stupid may cause serious injury.

RC Qualifier
    Well for me, I have 19 hobby grade rc's. Only 3 aren't traxxas. I switch around, tinker here. Tinker there. Work on this, then that. I bash around my house, go to tracks, baseball fields, or just in a sweet spot
    Orange Powered
    Novak BL

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by AK SNO RIDER
    I used to have a couple friends to bash with. Then it dropped down to one, and now he rarely drives his truck anymore. He bought a brand new Slash 4x4, and it has only been driven a few times. Kinda sad to see it sit, and his slash 2x4 has been sitting, non-drivable at my house for months. I dont drive as much as i used to now, but im still in the hobby because it gives me something to do when im not at school or with friends.
    Ya ought a take possession of the Slash 2x4 and get it running. Ask him about it. chances are hes not going to miss it. That Slash is a GREAT vehicle.
    E-Maxx 3905 BL 2.4GHz
    Revo 3.3

RC Enthusiast
    Definitely some good ideas here. Keep'em coming guys. Thanks...