RC Qualifier

I want YOUR opinion

I don't care what kind of experience you have, I am looking for input from anyone on this matter. Okay, ready? Here it is:
    -Should I sell my S-maxx 3.3 for a stampede 4x4? Why or why not? What are your thoughts on the matter?
    Why can't other people share my opinions?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    No one can give you a solid answer on this because no one has actually driven a pede 4X4 yet. After it comes out id be happy to answer this though.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    I will give you an answer--YES!!

Two reasons:

1) Electric is sooooooooooooooooooooo much easier to deal with than nitro

2) It beats having to use to batteries to run the alternative--which is the Emaxx

RC Racer
    in my opinion electric is much easier, i had one of the first t-maxx's back in the day with the pro .15 engine, and a rc10gt team with the picco .18 and they where fast but the constant playing with the carb and then the mess the nitro makes all over the car and body,and that was back when fuel was about 7 bucks a gallon for the good stuff i think its 20 a gallon now for the good stuff.

before i sold all my stuff i had lots of fun with my xl5 stampede and vxl rustler and axial ax10 with just 7 cell nimh so i cant even imagine a lipo cell.

soon to come (i cant wait) vxl 4x4 stampede, baja 5b and maybe a mini summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    No one can give you a solid answer on this because no one has actually driven a pede 4X4 yet. After it comes out id be happy to answer this though.
    Of course. However, I am asking for your opinion based on what we have seen of it, what we know about it, and also what we know about the slash 4x4 (since they are very similar). But you do make a very good point.

RC Qualifier
    I haven't started my tmaxx once since I got my pede. I will use it again but it's so much quicker to get out the pede to get my fix.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ARP1500
    in my opinion electric is much easier, i had one of the first t-maxx's back in the day with the pro .15 engine, and a rc10gt team with the picco .18 and they where fast but the constant playing with the carb and then the mess the nitro makes all over the car and body,and that was back when fuel was about 7 bucks a gallon for the good stuff i think its 20 a gallon now for the good stuff.

before i sold all my stuff i had lots of fun with my xl5 stampede and vxl rustler and axial ax10 with just 7 cell nimh so i cant even imagine a lipo cell.

soon to come (i cant wait) vxl 4x4 stampede, baja 5b and maybe a mini summit
    fuel is $30 right now. lol

i have a savage, and i use it maybe once a year. electric is just too much fun.

I pretty much run a stampede 4x4. I run a slash 4x4 MT, and its a lot of fun. It goes over a lot of stuff w/o getting stuck. However i kinda like the slash 4x4 better because i can quick throw a different body and tires on, and remove a few shock spacers and i can hit the track. you wont be able to do that with the pede. but if you like 4x4 monster trucks i think the pede will be the right choice.
    Slash 4x4 MMP-HV 5.5
    Slash Sidewinder SC 3800kv

Ill base my opinion on the fact that im a converted nitro guy myself and have owned numerous maxx's, savages, buggys, truggys and pretty much any other 1/10 and 1/8 nitro vehicle you can get...

Go electric. The 2X4 pede has completely replaced ALL my nitro vehicles. I just bought an ERBE to try it out, but honestly, if i dont like it... ill just sell it. My pede is just too much fun, too easy to run and work on and too cheap to fix. Theres no way id ever go back to nitro... I may try a gasser sometime... but not nitro.

On that note, my 2X4 pede is the most fun ive ever had with an RC. If the 4X4 is even close to the type of truck the pede 2X4 is... I say toss out that Smaxx and get a pede. You wont regret it. Get some lipos too... youll never look back.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer
    Ill base my opinion on the fact that im a converted nitro guy myself and have owned numerous maxx's, savages, buggys, truggys and pretty much any other 1/10 and 1/8 nitro vehicle you can get...

Go electric. The 2X4 pede has completely replaced ALL my nitro vehicles. I just bought an ERBE to try it out, but honestly, if i dont like it... ill just sell it. My pede is just too much fun, too easy to run and work on and too cheap to fix. Theres no way id ever go back to nitro... I may try a gasser sometime... but not nitro.

On that note, my 2X4 pede is the most fun ive ever had with an RC. If the 4X4 is even close to the type of truck the pede 2X4 is... I say toss out that Smaxx and get a pede. You wont regret it. Get some lipos too... youll never look back.
    See, that's the other thing. I have seen the 2x4 pede, and it looks like a load of fun. It is simple, tough, very drivable, and decently quick. I want to get a monster truck like that, but I want 4wd and maybe a little more speed. The 4x4 version has this. I just hope that the 4x4 pede builds well off the 2x4 one. I hope that it proves to be very similar in its simplicity, and overall fun driving experience.

The 2X4 will likely be faster than the 4X4 without some mods (IE bigger motor) but it will also be more capable. The thing about the 2X4 that I like is that its so simple, tough and easy/cheap to fix. You can bash the living crap out of a 2X4 pede and it will always come back for more... never cost much to fix and is more than fast enough. But the 4X4 is just cool... and 4X4... and I dont have one...

But my 2X4 pede will never leave the stable.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    The 4x4 Stampede looks like exactly the truck I've been waiting for since I first got started in hobby-grade RC - a capable 1:10 4WD monster truck (Maxx and Revo are 1:8, no matter what Traxxas claim). I've got a brushless Rustler with big tires (which used to be a Stampede) and it's huge fun. Way more exciting than the SMaxx, TMaxx, and Savage my friends and I have had in the past, and even more fun than the Baja one friend used to have, which was always too huge and serious to just be fun (impressive, yes, but not playful).

Despite that, there are a number of things that have always bothered me about both the Stampede and Rustler. They are extremely back-heavy, which is good for 2WD grip but bad for handling. The motor is very exposed and susceptible to damage; I badly damaged my first modified brush motor in a slight crash with a friend. The open and unsealed differential seriously hampers their capability for slow, technical off-roading even when two tires are providing sufficient grip. The Stampede's massive center ground clearance is meaningless when the truck easily gets high-centered widthwise on the transmission and front end. And, it's always bothered me a bit that the chassis have been essentially unchanged since their introduction, to the point where they still include mounts for an MSC.

The 4x4 seems to fix all of that. The new parts look sturdier and better-designed than the old ones, with better access to just about everything for maintenance. The sealed diffs make the trucks far more capable for rough terrain (and, I think, probably less prone to snapping half-shafts from a wheel unloading, speeding up, then catching traction again). The spider gears in the diffs should be stronger than the old style, and reduces the number of gear meshes as well as that fragile idler gear. Plus, the new layout should be awesome for handling. None of the pictures I've seen really show the underside well, but it looks like the ground clearance will be more consistent. And finally, the 4WD is great. I don't really think it's necessary for traction, but it should be amazing for jumping and for braking performance.

Beyond that, electric is faster, cleaner, and easier than nitro. The low noise makes it suitable in far more places, as does the smaller truck (compared to your Maxx). And it only needs half the batteries of an E-Maxx or E-Revo.

So, if I think the old Stampede was already more fun than a nitro Maxx, and I think this one is an improvement in every single way, how do you think I'm going to vote? Of course you should switch.
    Last edited by aramid; 11-02-2010 at 09:52 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Awesome. You guys have made some really good points and arguments. I think that I will sell the S-maxx, and it just so happens I just got an offer of $300 for it and all the extras. I think I will take that (who wouldn't?).

RC Qualifier
    I would consider the option of just keeping the max, and find other ways of funding the new pede. I will admit, 300 for the S-maxx would be hard to resist though.
    Traxxas start making dirt bikes! :)

RC Qualifier
    I couldn't have said it better! I'm a big Stampede fan, It was my first Traxxas electric twelve years ago however the run times with the technology back then was just too short. I quickly replaced it with the Nitro version to compensate the run times and it was the best RC I've owned. I wasn't a fan of the T-maxx trucks that my friends have owned back then so I just modified the truck to my liking (converted it to "all aluminum" and I was one of the first few that installed the maxx tires)...for ten years I have owned Nitro's and finally made the switch to Brushless as soon as the first MERV came out. I have never looked back and can't wait to see 3rd party companies to start producing more optional bodies for the Stampede once again.

Quote Originally Posted by aramid
    The 4x4 Stampede looks like exactly the truck I've been waiting for since I first got started in hobby-grade RC - a capable 1:10 4WD monster truck (Maxx and Revo are 1:8, no matter what Traxxas claim). I've got a brushless Rustler with big tires (which used to be a Stampede) and it's huge fun. Way more exciting than the SMaxx, TMaxx, and Savage my friends and I have had in the past, and even more fun than the Baja one friend used to have, which was always too huge and serious to just be fun (impressive, yes, but not playful).

Despite that, there are a number of things that have always bothered me about both the Stampede and Rustler. They are extremely back-heavy, which is good for 2WD grip but bad for handling. The motor is very exposed and susceptible to damage; I badly damaged my first modified brush motor in a slight crash with a friend. The open and unsealed differential seriously hampers their capability for slow, technical off-roading even when two tires are providing sufficient grip. The Stampede's massive center ground clearance is meaningless when the truck easily gets high-centered widthwise on the transmission and front end. And, it's always bothered me a bit that the chassis have been essentially unchanged since their introduction, to the point where they still include mounts for an MSC.

The 4x4 seems to fix all of that. The new parts look sturdier and better-designed than the old ones, with better access to just about everything for maintenance. The sealed diffs make the trucks far more capable for rough terrain (and, I think, probably less prone to snapping half-shafts from a wheel unloading, speeding up, then catching traction again). The spider gears in the diffs should be stronger than the old style, and reduces the number of gear meshes as well as that fragile idler gear. Plus, the new layout should be awesome for handling. None of the pictures I've seen really show the underside well, but it looks like the ground clearance will be more consistent. And finally, the 4WD is great. I don't really think it's necessary for traction, but it should be amazing for jumping and for braking performance.

Beyond that, electric is faster, cleaner, and easier than nitro. The low noise makes it suitable in far more places, as does the smaller truck (compared to your Maxx). And it only needs half the batteries of an E-Maxx or E-Revo.

So, if I think the old Stampede was already more fun than a nitro Maxx, and I think this one is an improvement in every single way, how do you think I'm going to vote? Of course you should switch.
    XO-1|SlashUE-MMM2200|Rally-SV2&MERV-MMP w/NEU1112

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Quote Originally Posted by all aluminum
    ... and can't wait to see 3rd party companies to start producing more optional bodies for the Stampede once again.
    Its about time...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Racer
    yes more body choices would be awesome

RC Qualifier
    I dug up some of my picture archives from 7-8 years ago back in my "all aluminum" days....I wish pro-line never discontinued these Ford and Chevy bodies..

Last edited by all aluminum; 11-03-2010 at 10:30 AM.
    XO-1|SlashUE-MMM2200|Rally-SV2&MERV-MMP w/NEU1112